Old 10-14-2010, 04:56 PM
David Goodenough

Default Odd problem with KDE (on sid)

Recently I have had two occasions when KDE stopped responding to the
keyboard. The mouse worked, but not the keyboard (not even Ctrl-Alt-F1
to get to the console).

In both cases something (possibly a dialog) appeared and then
disappeared
just before it froze.

I looked in .kde/share/config for recently changed files, and compared them
to other machines I had. It turned out that the problem was kaccessrc
which should read (i.e. what works on other machine):-

[Keyboard]
GestureConfirmation=false
Gestures=false

but when frozen read:-

[Keyboard]
GestureConfirmation=true
Gestures=true
SlowKeys=true

Reading
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/forums/showthread.php/17516-
keyboard-not-working-in-KDE it would seem this is a known problem, but
it does seem odd that once this is set there is nothing visible to mark that
slow keys mode is enabled, and no obvious way to get out of it. Apparently
simply holding down each key for a while would do it, but that is not
something that I would naturally do.

Obviously for some people this is a useful feature, but it would be nice to
have something like a tray entry that I can click on with the mouse in order
to mark that this is happening and to turn if off.

David