Old 10-09-2010, 01:11 AM
phrippenatthekrotz

Default Strange behavior when exiting game

Hi Maintainers,

I have Squeeze install, with both the gnome & kde desktops installed,
using the kdm manager.

When I play gl-117 in kde, the game plays fine until I quit the game,
this is when the weirdness starts. I quit, then I am dropped to the
gnome desktops background! The mouse still works but nothing else. I
can not get the machine to do anything it is frozen with just the gnome
desktop background displayed. I need to reboot to gain control again.

Is this a bug? It is reproducible, happens every time, however if I
use gnome, the game quits normally and the desktop is useable.

I have limited knowledge as to how to track this behavior, which logs
to look at etc, I wonder if I have a strange bug or is this a known issue?

Hope you can help.

Regards Stan

Old 10-09-2010, 10:06 AM
George Kiagiadakis

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 4:11 AM, phrippenatthekrotz
<phrippenatthekrotz@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Hi Maintainers,
>
> I have Squeeze install, with both the gnome & kde desktops installed, using
> the kdm manager.
>
> When I play gl-117 in kde, *the game plays fine until I quit the game, this
> is when the weirdness starts. *I quit, *then I am dropped to the gnome
> desktops background! *The mouse still works but nothing else. *I can not get
> the machine to do anything it is frozen with just the gnome desktop
> background displayed. I need to reboot to gain control again.

I guess gnome sets its background directly on the X root window,
instead of using an additional window on top of it, like plasma does,
so most probably what happens is that plasma crashes. You should still
be able to use alt+f2 to run programs and eventually restart
plasma-desktop.

> Is this a bug? *It is reproducible, happens every time, *however if I use
> gnome, the game quits normally and the desktop is useable.
>
> I have limited knowledge as to how to track this behavior, *which logs to
> look at etc, I wonder if I have a strange bug or is this a known issue?

It is not a known issue and it is a bug, which however could be
related to faulty graphics drivers... You can check ~/.xsession-errors
for log, but you have to do it before restarting kde or gnome.