Old 10-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Luca Tettamanti

Default Sleep / hibernate not activated

Hello,
I just downloaded the "experimental" KDE 4.5.1 packages and it seems
that somehow sleep/hibernate are broken (or rather KDE seems unable to
active them).
I can suspend just fine using s2ram/s2disk manually, but when I try
using Leave -> {Sleep, Hibernate} or the plasmoid nothing happens; no
obvious clues in .xsession-errors.
This BTW used to work with 4.4.
How is transition initiated by KDE? (using the helpers, via sysfs
interface, hal?) This might help me debug it further

Luca

Old 10-04-2010, 12:13 AM
"Edward J. Shornock"

Luca Tettamanti kirjoitti sunnuntai, 3. lokakuuta 2010 23.26.36:
> Hello,
> I just downloaded the "experimental" KDE 4.5.1 packages and it seems
> that somehow sleep/hibernate are broken (or rather KDE seems unable to
> active them).
> I can suspend just fine using s2ram/s2disk manually, but when I try
> using Leave -> {Sleep, Hibernate} or the plasmoid nothing happens; no
> obvious clues in .xsession-errors.
> This BTW used to work with 4.4.
> How is transition initiated by KDE? (using the helpers, via sysfs
> interface, hal?) This might help me debug it further

Hi,

If I'm not mistaken, KDE passes off the sleep/hibernation duties to HAL (as
shown by Hardware -> Information Sources ("Hardware power management using
freedesktop.org HAL dæmon")

Old 10-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Luca Tettamanti

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 2:13 AM, Edward J. Shornock
<ed.shornock@gmail.com> wrote:
> Luca Tettamanti kirjoitti sunnuntai, 3. lokakuuta 2010 23.26.36:
>> I can suspend just fine using s2ram/s2disk manually, but when I try
>> using Leave -> {Sleep, Hibernate} or the plasmoid nothing happens; no
>> obvious clues in .xsession-errors.
>> This BTW used to work with 4.4.
>> How is transition initiated by KDE? (using the helpers, via sysfs
>> interface, hal?) This might help me debug it further
>
> If I'm not mistaken, KDE passes off the sleep/hibernation duties to HAL (as
> shown by Hardware -> Information Sources ("Hardware power management using
> freedesktop.org HAL dæmon")

Ok, I can suspend by sending a message directory to HAL
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.Hal
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.S uspend int32:0

With dbus-monitor, when using KDE, I do not see any message on the
system bus, but I see this on the session bus:

mc 1286197155 134166 891 :1.13 /modules/powerdevil
org.kde.PowerDevil suspend
mr 1286197155 871246 237 891 :1.13

powerdevil module is loaded (and is responding to the message), so the
problem might be inside Solid?

Old 10-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Luca Tettamanti

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Luca Tettamanti <kronos.it@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 2:13 AM, Edward J. Shornock
> <ed.shornock@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Luca Tettamanti kirjoitti sunnuntai, 3. lokakuuta 2010 23.26.36:
>>> I can suspend just fine using s2ram/s2disk manually, but when I try
>>> using Leave -> {Sleep, Hibernate} or the plasmoid nothing happens; no
>>> obvious clues in .xsession-errors.
>>> This BTW used to work with 4.4.
>>> How is transition initiated by KDE? (using the helpers, via sysfs
>>> interface, hal?) This might help me debug it further
>>
>> If I'm not mistaken, KDE passes off the sleep/hibernation duties to HAL (as
>> shown by Hardware -> Information Sources ("Hardware power management using
>> freedesktop.org HAL dæmon")
>
> Ok, I can suspend by sending a message directory to HAL
> dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.Hal
> /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer
> org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.S uspend int32:0

Ok, PowerDevil is receiving the message but:

Breakpoint 1, PowerDevilDaemon::suspend (this=0x1d910b0, method=2) at
../../../powerdevil/daemon/PowerDevilDaemon.cpp:1205
1205 {
(gdb) n
1206 if (!checkIfCurrentSessionActive()) {
(gdb) s
PowerDevilDaemon::checkIfCurrentSessionActive (this=0x1d910b0) at
../../../powerdevil/daemon/PowerDevilDaemon.cpp:1364
1364 {
[...]
1371 QDBusReply<bool> rp = d->ckSessionInterface->call("IsActive");
(gdb) n
1373 return rp.value();
(gdb) p rp.m_data
$10 = false
(gdb) finish
[...]
(gdb) p this->checkIfCurrentSessionActive()
$12 = false

Hum. So it seems that ConsoleKit thinks that the session is not
active? And indeed:

Session3:
unix-user = '1000'
realname = 'kronos'
seat = 'Seat2'
session-type = '
active = FALSE
x11-display = ':0'
x11-display-device = '/dev/tty7'
display-device = '/dev/tty1'
remote-host-name = '
is-local = FALSE
on-since = '2010-10-04T08:26:39.557512Z'
login-session-id = '

This is probably Debian bug #598150, so KDE is innocent

Luca