Old 10-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Rustom Mody

Default packaging qt apps for debian

Hi

I am a noob wanting to package a qt app for debian.* The mentors list
directed me here.

Is this the right place to ask?

My question was around the fact that debian generally prefers
autoconf; configure; make sequence but qt apps use qmake instead of
configure.
So then there was a discussion about whether to use debhelper or cdbs
and I was suggested to ask here

Thanks

Rustom

Old 10-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Adrian von Bidder

Heyho!

On Sunday 03 October 2010 13.54:16 Rustom Mody wrote:
> My question was around the fact that debian generally prefers
> autoconf; configure; make sequence but qt apps use qmake instead of
> configure.

Debian "prefers" more or less standard build systems to arcane handwritten
ones, but OTOH replacing the build system of a package is actually done only
in rare cases.

That said, I guess qmake can be considered standard for Qt applications.

> So then there was a discussion about whether to use debhelper or cdbs
> and I was suggested to ask here

That probably comes down to personal preference. Personally, I never could
wrap my head around cdbs and found debhelper more obvious because there's
less behind the scenes magic going on. OTOH I never really *tried* to
understand cdbs so I can't really compare the two systems.

cheers
-- vbi

--
Finagle's First Law:
If an experiment works, something has gone wrong.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:06 PM
George Kiagiadakis

Hello,

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am a noob wanting to package a qt app for debian.* The mentors list
> directed me here.
>
> Is this the right place to ask?

I guess it is.

> My question was around the fact that debian generally prefers
> autoconf; configure; make sequence but qt apps use qmake instead of
> configure.

There are several build systems out there. Autotools (what you
describe) is one of them, qmake is another. There is no special
preference over autotools anywhere, just the examples you may find may
refer to autotools because it's a popular build system.

Adapting an autotools example to qmake should be easy, btw. Just
replace "configure" with "qmake-qt4" and adjust its options. You can
have a look at other packages that use qmake, for example kaboom, to
use as a reference.

> So then there was a discussion about whether to use debhelper or cdbs
> and I was suggested to ask here

Adrian already answered to that, it's your choice.

Regards,
George

Old 10-04-2010, 04:39 AM
Rustom Mody

> I am a noob wanting to package a qt app for debian.* The mentors list

> directed me here.

> Is this the right place to ask?

I guess it is.

> My question was around the fact that debian generally prefers

> autoconf; configure; make sequence but qt apps use qmake instead of

> configure.

There are several build systems out there. Autotools (what you

describe) is one of them, qmake is another. There is no special

preference over autotools anywhere, just the examples you may find may

refer to autotools because it's a popular build system.

Looking around a bit more I find that the kdevelop4 page
http://www.kdevelop.org/mediawiki/index.php/KDevelop_4/KDev3_KDev4_comparison_table seems to say that the way forward is cmake (not autotools or qmake)

But I guess I do not need to bother about kdevelop?

Adapting an autotools example to qmake should be easy, btw. Just

replace "configure" with "qmake-qt4" and adjust its options. You can

have a look at other packages that use qmake, for example kaboom, to

use as a reference.

> So then there was a discussion about whether to use debhelper or cdbs

> and I was suggested to ask here

Adrian already answered to that, it's your choice.
*?Who?

Ive only received answers from 2 Davids (cced). Have I missed something?

Regards,

George

Old 10-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Adrian von Bidder

wrote:

> > > So then there was a discussion about whether to use debhelper or cdbs
> > > and I was suggested to ask here
> >
> > Adrian already answered to that, it's your choice.
>
> ?Who?

I didn't cc you.

Here's my email again.

-- vbi

--
BOFH excuse #385:

Dyslexics retyping hosts file on servers