FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian KDE

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-30-2010, 05:35 AM
Aniruddha
 
Default Phonon occasionally working

Sometimes when I boot into Debian Squeeze Phonon programs such as
Dragon player and Amarok work and sometimes they don't. Non Phonon
programs such as vlc always work. Pulseaudio isn't installed. Anyone
has an idea where to look for solutions?

My soundcard:

$ lspci -v
00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 83e8
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
Memory at fbcf0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTinNmCagkd_HB1Me3L4EEuD_sYtS7EVuqYFfXkxh@mail .gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTinNmCagkd_HB1Me3L4EEuD_sYtS7EVuqYFfXkxh@mail .gmail.com
 
Old 09-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Diederik de Haas
 
Default Phonon occasionally working

On Thursday 30 September 2010 07:35:52 Aniruddha wrote:
> Sometimes when I boot into Debian Squeeze Phonon programs such as
> Dragon player and Amarok work and sometimes they don't. Non Phonon
> programs such as vlc always work.

Do you have multiple sound cards in your system?
What's the backend for Phonon? When you go into System Settings - Multimedia, you'll see your Phonon
settings. IIRC for squeeze (ie KDE 4.4.5) it's on the second tab.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201009301645.04128.didi.debian@cknow.org">http://lists.debian.org/201009301645.04128.didi.debian@cknow.org
 
Old 10-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Aniruddha
 
Default Phonon occasionally working

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Diederik de Haas <didi.debian@cknow.org> wrote:
> Do you have multiple sound cards in your system?
> What's the backend for Phonon? When you go into System Settings - Multimedia, you'll see your Phonon

> settings. IIRC for squeeze (ie KDE 4.4.5) it's on the second tab.
>
Thanks for the help. I have one onboard soundcard and I am using the xine backend.
 
Old 10-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Coque Couto
 
Default Phonon occasionally working

Hi.

I don't know if it's the same for Squeeze, but unstable KDE packages
depend on Pulseaudio.

I've suffered the same problem recently. It was due to programs using
ALSA (chrome and VirtualBox) mixed with KDE programs using Pulseaudio.
I soved it by forcing ALSA to use Pulseaudio: put the following in
/etc/asound.conf:

8<------------------------------------------
pcm.pulse {
type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
type pulse
}

pcm.!default {
type pulse
}

ctl.!default {
type pulse
}
------------------------------------->8

Hope this helps.

2010/10/1 Aniruddha <mailingdotlist@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Diederik de Haas <didi.debian@cknow.org>
> wrote:
>> Do you have multiple sound cards in your system?
>> What's the backend for Phonon? When you go into System Settings -
>> Multimedia, you'll see your Phonon
>> settings. IIRC for squeeze (ie KDE 4.4.5) it's on the second tab.
>>
> Thanks for the help. I have one onboard soundcard and I am using the xine
> backend.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTimu1i3Nuop8Mc9_jYdN_ParTWgSzGcy4bM8Wig0@mail .gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTimu1i3Nuop8Mc9_jYdN_ParTWgSzGcy4bM8Wig0@mail .gmail.com
 
Old 10-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Aniruddha
 
Default Phonon occasionally working

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Coque Couto <coque.couto@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi.



I don't know if it's the same for Squeeze, but unstable KDE packages

depend on Pulseaudio.


Thanks for the help.*I've*installed*pulseaudio *edited*/etc/asound.conf and rebooted.*Unfortunately*sound isn't working ate all now. In vlc and amarok. Is there*something*else I can try or are my settings wrong?

# aptitude install pulseaudio gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio libasound2-plugins pulseaudio-esound-compat pulseaudio-module-x11

# cat /etc/asound.conf
pcm.pulse {** type pulse}
ctl.pulse {** type pulse}
pcm.!default {** type pulse}

ctl.!default {** type pulse}
 
Old 10-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Sune Vuorela
 
Default Phonon occasionally working

On 2010-10-01, Coque Couto <coque.couto@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I don't know if it's the same for Squeeze, but unstable KDE packages
> depend on Pulseaudio.

no they don't. they use pulseaudio if pulseaudio is running, but you are
free to not have pulseaudio installed or running

/Sune
- who on some machines happily uses pulseaudio


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: slrniac7ka.rvp.nospam@sshway.ssh.pusling.com">http ://lists.debian.org/slrniac7ka.rvp.nospam@sshway.ssh.pusling.com
 
Old 10-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Diederik de Haas
 
Default Phonon occasionally working

On Friday 01 October 2010 14:59:41 Aniruddha wrote:
> > Do you have multiple sound cards in your system?
> > What's the backend for Phonon? When you go into System Settings -
> > Multimedia, you'll see your Phonon
> > settings. IIRC for squeeze (ie KDE 4.4.5) it's on the second tab.
>
> Thanks for the help. I have one onboard soundcard and I am using the xine
> backend.

AFAIK there is no dependency to pulseaudio, so you can remove/purge it (as well as
/etc/asound.conf). I don't have it/them.

When you're in the MultiMedia module and you select the music category (for example) and select your
playback device and press the "Test" button, what happens?

Also what do you get from "aptitude search ~ialsa" ?
I got:
i A alsa-base - ALSA driver configuration files
i alsa-utils - Utilities for configuring and using ALSA
i A libsdl1.2debian-alsa - Simple DirectMedia Layer (with X11 and ALSA options)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201010011955.33448.didi.debian@cknow.org">http://lists.debian.org/201010011955.33448.didi.debian@cknow.org
 
Old 10-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Aniruddha
 
Default Phonon occasionally working

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 7:55 PM, Diederik de Haas <didi.debian@cknow.org> wrote:
AFAIK there is no dependency to pulseaudio, so you can remove/purge it (as well as

/etc/asound.conf). I don't have it/them.



When you're in the MultiMedia module and you select the music category (for example) and select your

playback device and press the "Test" button, what happens?



Also what do you get from "aptitude search ~ialsa" ?

I got:

i A alsa-base * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *- ALSA driver configuration files

i * alsa-utils * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *- Utilities for configuring and using ALSA

i A libsdl1.2debian-alsa * * * * * * * * * *- Simple DirectMedia Layer (with X11 and ALSA options)


What happesn when pressing the 'Test' buttons depends if sound is working On some boots I get sound and sometimes it gives an error.*
$ aptitude search ~ialsai * alsa-base * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * - ALSA driver configuration files * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
i * alsa-utils * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *- Utilities for configuring and using ALSA * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * **i A libsdl1.2debian-alsa * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *- Simple DirectMedia Layer (with X11 and ALSA options) * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * **
i A libwine-alsa * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *- Windows API implementation - ALSA sound module * * * * * * * * * * * * * ***
 
Old 10-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Diederik de Haas
 
Default Phonon occasionally working

On Friday 01 October 2010 20:42:25 Aniruddha wrote:
> > What happens when pressing the 'Test' buttons
> depends if sound is working On some boots I get sound and sometimes it gives an error.

Then you should google the error msg that you get.
Another thing you could try is comparing alsamixer's settings when it's working and when it's not.

I don't know if there are any specific log files you can check, but maybe someone else knows.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201010020134.35213.didi.debian@cknow.org">http://lists.debian.org/201010020134.35213.didi.debian@cknow.org
 
Old 10-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Aniruddha
 
Default Phonon occasionally working

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 1:34 AM, Diederik de Haas <didi.debian@cknow.org> wrote:

On Friday 01 October 2010 20:42:25 Aniruddha wrote:

> > What happens when pressing the 'Test' buttons

> depends if sound is working On some boots I get sound and sometimes it gives an error.



Then you should google the error msg that you get.

Another thing you could try is comparing alsamixer's settings when it's working and when it's not.



I don't know if there are any specific log files you can check, but maybe someone else knows.





I just got the error message, it's*pretty*non-descriptive:*
The audio playback device HDA ATI SB (VT2020 Analog) does not work
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:19 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org