Old 10-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Default Phonon occasionally working

Hi Sune,

Am Freitag 01 Oktober 2010 schrieb Sune Vuorela:
> On 2010-10-01, Coque Couto <coque.couto@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I don't know if it's the same for Squeeze, but unstable KDE packages
> > depend on Pulseaudio.
>
> no they don't. they use pulseaudio if pulseaudio is running, but you
> are free to not have pulseaudio installed or running
>
> /Sune
> - who on some machines happily uses pulseaudio

Would you recommend using pulseaudio?

I still wonder whether I should try it.

Ciao,

Old 10-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Diederik de Haas

On Saturday 02 October 2010 10:19:59 Aniruddha wrote:
> I just got the error message, it's pretty non-descriptive:
>
> The audio playback device HDA ATI SB (VT2020 Analog) does not work

Especially the first result from
http://www.google.com/search?q=audio%20playback%20device%20HDA%20ATI%20S B seems to have some
pointers you could try.
I'd personally not edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, but create your own file in that directory like
/etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf.

Another search would be http://www.google.com/search?q=hda%20ati%20sb%20linux

Since it's likely that you need to add some model parameters to get your sound working consistantly,
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_sound_problems has a description and http://www.alsa-
project.org/alsa-info.sh seems to be the file that they're using.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Zsolt Rizsanyi

Hi!

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:
> Would you recommend using pulseaudio?
>
> I still wonder whether I should try it.

I have switched to pulseaudio about 6 months ago and I do not regret
it. KDE integration is still not the best but it has nice features. If
you are willing to use the tools that come with it (pavucontrol etc.),
than you can do nice things with it.

My main reason for the switch was that I wanted to use bluetooth
headphones. You can accomplish this with ALSA, but you have to edit
system files, etc. With pulseaudio you just need to install the
appropriate plugin and pair the headset (eg. using bluedevil).

Kubuntu is also switching to pulseaudio from the soon to be released 10.10.

On Debian the experience might not be the best without some manual
setup. I had to install the libasound2-plugins for the pulseaudio
plugin. Then create an .asoundrc to change the default alsa device to
use this plugin. Without this all the non-pulseaudio capable programs
would try to acquire the alsa devices directly which did not work too
well with pulseaudio.

Regards,
Zsolt