Old 09-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Russ Allbery

Default nvidia-graphics-drivers and KDE slowdown in Squeeze

Rainer Dorsch <rdorsch@web.de> writes:

> Would you expect any problem when I pull the newly upload nvidia-graphics-
> drivers 256.53-1 into squeeze to test if the problem is still there?

No, and that's the first thing I'd try. It should work fine in squeeze.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:54 PM
André Wöbbeking

Hi,

On Wednesday 22 September 2010, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I see here on a Lenovo Thinkpad T61p very poor performance with the nvidia-
> graphics-drivers drivers in squeeze when running KDE (desktop effects
> enabled or disabled does not make a difference):

Do you use the Oxygen style and are animations enabled there? If so try another
style or disable animations. You probably have to restart X (maybe even reboot
or try your dis- and reenable desktop effects trick). Does that help?

Cheers,
André

Old 09-22-2010, 09:59 PM
"Alan Dacey Sr."

On Wednesday, September 22, 2010 03:54:21 pm André Wöbbeking wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wednesday 22 September 2010, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I see here on a Lenovo Thinkpad T61p very poor performance with the nvidia-
> > graphics-drivers drivers in squeeze when running KDE (desktop effects
> > enabled or disabled does not make a difference):
>
> Do you use the Oxygen style and are animations enabled there? If so try another
> style or disable animations. You probably have to restart X (maybe even reboot
> or try your dis- and reenable desktop effects trick). Does that help?
>

> Cheers,
> André

There may be a drawing problem using the Oxygen style. It basically draws way to
many things. Should be fixed in the KDE 4.5.2 release.

http://hugo-kde.blogspot.com/2010/09/performance-issues-one-script-and-call.html

Alan

Old 09-23-2010, 11:51 PM
Alan Dacey

On Wednesday, September 22, 2010 05:59:19 pm Alan Dacey Sr. wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 22, 2010 03:54:21 pm André Wöbbeking wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wednesday 22 September 2010, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I see here on a Lenovo Thinkpad T61p very poor performance with the nvidia-
> > > graphics-drivers drivers in squeeze when running KDE (desktop effects
> > > enabled or disabled does not make a difference):
> >
> > Do you use the Oxygen style and are animations enabled there? If so try another
> > style or disable animations. You probably have to restart X (maybe even reboot
> > or try your dis- and reenable desktop effects trick). Does that help?
> >

> > Cheers,
> > André
> >

> There may be a drawing problem using the Oxygen style. It basically draws way to
> many things. Should be fixed in the KDE 4.5.2 release.
>
> http://hugo-kde.blogspot.com/2010/09/performance-issues-one-script-and-call.html
>
> Alan

This also is good news for 4.6 in January (or svn now)

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2010/09/be-vewwwwy-quiet-im-hunting-pixmaps.html

Alan

Old 09-25-2010, 07:46 AM
Valerio Passini

Alle mercoledì 22 settembre 2010, Russ Allbery ha scritto:
> Rainer Dorsch <rdorsch@web.de> writes:
> > Would you expect any problem when I pull the newly upload
> > nvidia-graphics- drivers 256.53-1 into squeeze to test if the
> > problem is still there?
>
> No, and that's the first thing I'd try. It should work fine in
> squeeze.

Being an nvidia user on SidKDE, I'm happy that the new drivers are
uploaded. I'm just concerned about the chance that this driver breaks
something in Squeeze delaying its final release. If you need a bit of
testing before the upload to unstable, you might give an un-official
repository for who is interested in helping you (like me).
Bye

Valerio

Old 09-25-2010, 07:56 AM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

On šeštadienis 25 Rugsėjis 2010 10:46:30 Valerio Passini wrote:
> Alle mercoledì 22 settembre 2010, Russ Allbery ha scritto:
> > Rainer Dorsch <rdorsch@web.de> writes:
> > > Would you expect any problem when I pull the newly upload
> > > nvidia-graphics- drivers 256.53-1 into squeeze to test if the
> > > problem is still there?
> >
> > No, and that's the first thing I'd try. It should work fine in
> > squeeze.
>
> Being an nvidia user on SidKDE, I'm happy that the new drivers are
> uploaded. I'm just concerned about the chance that this driver breaks
> something in Squeeze delaying its final release. If you need a bit of
> testing before the upload to unstable, you might give an un-official
> repository for who is interested in helping you (like me).
> Bye

nvidia driver will never delay squeeze release. It's non-free hence not part
of Debian.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>

Old 09-25-2010, 07:09 PM
Rainer Dorsch

Am Samstag, 25. September 2010 schrieb Modestas Vainius:
> Hello,
>
> On šeštadienis 25 Rugsėjis 2010 10:46:30 Valerio Passini wrote:
> > Alle mercoledì 22 settembre 2010, Russ Allbery ha scritto:
> > >
> > > No, and that's the first thing I'd try. It should work fine in
> > > squeeze.
> >
> > Being an nvidia user on SidKDE, I'm happy that the new drivers are
> > uploaded. I'm just concerned about the chance that this driver breaks
> > something in Squeeze delaying its final release. If you need a bit of
> > testing before the upload to unstable, you might give an un-official
> > repository for who is interested in helping you (like me).
> > Bye
>
> nvidia driver will never delay squeeze release. It's non-free hence not
> part of Debian.

The nvidia driver from experimental works fine for me. Since the slowdown is
not deterministically reproducable, but happens after a while with varying
severity, it is hard to judge its impact. After running a few days with the
new driver, I think the slowdown is not so bad anymore, but it is still there.
Yesterday, I moved away from oxygen, if that fixes the problem reliable I might
test the update in

http://hugo-kde.blogspot.com/2010/09/performance-issues-one-script-and-
call.html

for oxygen which is supposed to work with KDE 4.4.5 (or stay away from
oxygen).

Thanks for all the useful replies :-)
Rainer

--