Old 08-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Eric

Default Learn packaging

Hello,

I am trying to learn how packaging because I want to try KDE 4.5.0. I have some questions,
can I ask for help?

first: I do not know how to create symbols file, I can remove them and my package build. What

is the advantage add this?

second: what is installgen? How I know in which package I put a new file?

third: when I install something in /usr/lib/ and when I install something in /usr/lib/kde4/?

fourth: can I stop building debuging packages?

Many Thanks,
Eric

Old 08-22-2010, 10:05 PM
George Kiagiadakis

Hello,

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:45 AM, Eric <eric.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to learn how packaging because I want to try KDE 4.5.0. I have
> some questions,
> can I ask for help?

Sure.

Please read http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/symbolfiles.html

> second: what is installgen? How I know in which package I put a new file?

It is a system used to automatically update the .install files. The
installgen files in kde-sc packaging however have not been updated for
a long time and we do not actively use them anymore. You can ignore
them.

> third: when I install something in /usr/lib/ and when I install something in
> /usr/lib/kde4/?

This is not something that you decide, this is something that the kde
buildsystem decides. /usr/lib/ contains public libraries, while
/usr/lib/kde4 contains mostly plugins and other stuff that are private
for kde and can be used only through the public kde libraries. You do
not need to concern yourself with this.

> fourth: can I stop building debuging packages?

Why would you want to do that? I guess the answer is no, we need
debugging packages.

> Many Thanks,
> Eric

Regards,
George

Old 08-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Eric

> I am trying to learn how packaging because I want to try KDE 4.5.0. I have

> some questions,

> can I ask for help?

Sure.

> first: I do not know how to create symbols file, I can remove them and my

> package build. What

> is the advantage add this?

Please read http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/symbolfiles.html

I am reading. Thank you.

> second: what is installgen? How I know in which package I put a new file?

It is a system used to automatically update the .install files. The

installgen files in kde-sc packaging however have not been updated for

a long time and we do not actively use them anymore. You can ignore

them.

OK.

> third: when I install something in /usr/lib/ and when I install something in

> /usr/lib/kde4/?

This is not something that you decide, this is something that the kde

buildsystem decides. /usr/lib/ contains public libraries, while

/usr/lib/kde4 contains mostly plugins and other stuff that are private

for kde and can be used only through the public kde libraries. You do

not need to concern yourself with this.

And how I know in which package I put new file?
*

> fourth: can I stop building debuging packages?

Why would you want to do that? I guess the answer is no, we need

debugging packages.

They take much time to build in the end, I am impatience.

Eric

Old 08-22-2010, 10:53 PM
George Kiagiadakis

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 1:29 AM, Eric <eric.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > third: when I install something in /usr/lib/ and when I install
>> > something in
>> > /usr/lib/kde4/?
>>
>> This is not something that you decide, this is something that the kde
>> buildsystem decides. /usr/lib/ contains public libraries, while
>> /usr/lib/kde4 contains mostly plugins and other stuff that are private
>> for kde and can be used only through the public kde libraries. You do
>> not need to concern yourself with this.
>>
> And how I know in which package I put new file?

Yeah, this is not very easy. You need to either figure it out from the
filename or by looking at the source tree to find out where in the
hierarchy the file comes from. For example, let's say you are building
kdebase and you have a new file that in the original source tree is
build from somewhere under the dolphin/ directory, then you know that
this file is part of dolphin, so it must go with the rest of the
dolphin files. In this case, dolphin is in a separate package, but
this is not always the case.

>> > fourth: can I stop building debuging packages?
>>
>> Why would you want to do that? I guess the answer is no, we need
>> debugging packages.
>>

> They take much time to build in the end, I am impatience.

They do take some time, indeed... but it's not that much However,
it is the very last thing that gets built, so while it is building,
you could open another terminal and continue work there. To disable
them you would need to remove them from debian/control and possibly
adjust debian/rules too, but I don't think it's worth it. You may need
them for testing, if something crashes.

Regards,
George

Old 09-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer

On Dom 22 Ago 2010 19:05:46 George Kiagiadakis escribió:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:45 AM, Eric <eric.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to learn how packaging because I want to try KDE 4.5.0. I
> > have some questions,
> > can I ask for help?
>
> Sure.
>
> > first: I do not know how to create symbols file, I can remove them and my
> > package build. What
> > is the advantage add this?
>
> Please read http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/symbolfiles.html

Nice one, I didn't knew it's existance :S

Thanks

--
Cuando alguna persona va al ataque contra Wikipedia argumentando
que no es confiable "porque encontró ya varios errores", hago la

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/