-   -   Wifi GNOME network manager version into KUbuntu, Debian "pinning method, etc. ; jor debian-kde (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/409843-wifi-gnome-network-manager-version-into-kubuntu-debian-pinning-method-etc-jor-debian-kde.html)

"giovanni_re" 08-07-2010 06:43 PM

Wifi GNOME network manager version into KUbuntu, Debian "pinning method, etc. ; jor debian-kde

KUbuntu 10.4,

=
Failing to get wifi to connect to access point. It can see APs, but
fails to get dhcp via command mode, & fails connect with wicd.

=
It has been suggested (on KUbuntu list?) to remove the KU network
manager package, & that might get wicd & console command wifi working.

Previously, I was told that there is more networking success if one
installs Ubuntu (not KUbuntu) [to get the Ubuntu/Gnome network manager
sw], then install KDE on top of that.

=
For a system that was installed as KUbuntu:

Might it be possible to use something like Debian "pinning" to hold back
the KU network manager package, & then install the Ubuntu NetworkManager
package? Guess I'd at least have to ad the Ubuntu repositories to
/etc/apt/sources.list.

There might also be another debian method to do this.

=
Being as Ubuntu is Debian based, is there some way to make this work?

=
I ran Debian from about 2000-2005, so haven't done pinning for a long
time.

=
Thanks :)

== Join in the Global weekly meetings, via VOIP, about all Free SW HW & Culture

Modestas Vainius 08-07-2010 07:29 PM

Wifi GNOME network manager version into KUbuntu, Debian "pinning method, etc. ; jor debian-kde

Hello,

On šeštadienis 07 Rugpjūtis 2010 21:43:47 giovanni_re wrote:
> KUbuntu 10.4,

We do not support neither Ubuntu nor Kubuntu here, only Debian. Please ask in
support forums for appropriate distribution, they know better what's going on
in their distribution.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>