Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian KDE (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/)
-   -   Ktorrent WebUI (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/406840-ktorrent-webui.html)

Cassiano Leal 08-01-2010 12:14 AM

Ktorrent WebUI
 
Hi!

I can't seem to find Ktorrent's WebUI configuration. Is it gone?

I“m using latest sid packages for everything here.

Thanks!
Cassiano Leal


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTin_zmPzLp4=b+5D6GXdRwUu8v6tQ588YuOR7Vb5@mail .gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTin_zmPzLp4=b+5D6GXdRwUu8v6tQ588YuOR7Vb5@mail .gmail.com

Cassiano Leal 08-01-2010 12:36 AM

Ktorrent WebUI
 
On 31 July 2010 21:14, Cassiano Leal <cassianoleal@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I can't seem to find Ktorrent's WebUI configuration. Is it gone?
>
> I“m using latest sid packages for everything here.

Hmmm... found it, actually. My bad, sorry.

That said, I think that there's some usability issue there. In order
to enable the WebUI plugin I have to go to the Plugins tab in the main
window. Only then the Web Interface configuration widget appears in
the Settings window. That's a bit awkward IMO. I might file a bug
against it.

Anyway... Does anybody know of a decent Web UI skin for Ktorrent? The
ones that come bundled, even though they're useful, they're quite
difficult to use. I was looking for something more like deluge's UI
(http://www.doknowevil.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/deluge-webui.png)

Thanks again!
Cassiano Leal


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTin0xVZUd09pDWpdm68PuL7MekvEiKPsi-ZVkB3f@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTin0xVZUd09pDWpdm68PuL7MekvEiKPsi-ZVkB3f@mail.gmail.com

Modestas Vainius 08-01-2010 07:47 AM

Ktorrent WebUI
 
Hello,

On sekmadienis 01 Rugpjūtis 2010 03:36:22 Cassiano Leal wrote:
> That said, I think that there's some usability issue there. In order
> to enable the WebUI plugin I have to go to the Plugins tab in the main
> window. Only then the Web Interface configuration widget appears in
> the Settings window. That's a bit awkward IMO. I might file a bug
> against it.

No, it is not. Web UI is an additional feature (plugin). If plugin is not
loaded, so is not its configuration. That's true for all plugins.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>

Matthew Moore 08-01-2010 10:26 AM

Ktorrent WebUI
 
On Sunday 01 August 2010 1:47:57 am Modestas Vainius wrote:
> On sekmadienis 01 Rugpjūtis 2010 03:36:22 Cassiano Leal wrote:
> > That said, I think that there's some usability issue there. In order
> > to enable the WebUI plugin I have to go to the Plugins tab in the main
> > window. Only then the Web Interface configuration widget appears in
> > the Settings window. That's a bit awkward IMO. I might file a bug
> > against it.
>
> No, it is not. Web UI is an additional feature (plugin). If plugin is not
> loaded, so is not its configuration. That's true for all plugins.

Prior to the KDE4 version, ktorrent would load/unload plugins with an
interface in the settings dialog. Now there is a tab on the main screen.

I think that the point was that having the load/unload functionality on a
dedicated tab on the main screen is not as intuitive as having it inside the
settings dialog.

MM


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201008010426.02406.anonymous.jondoe@gmail.com">htt p://lists.debian.org/201008010426.02406.anonymous.jondoe@gmail.com

Modestas Vainius 08-01-2010 11:03 AM

Ktorrent WebUI
 
Hello,

On sekmadienis 01 Rugpjūtis 2010 13:26:02 Matthew Moore wrote:
> On Sunday 01 August 2010 1:47:57 am Modestas Vainius wrote:
> > On sekmadienis 01 Rugpjūtis 2010 03:36:22 Cassiano Leal wrote:
> > > That said, I think that there's some usability issue there. In order
> > > to enable the WebUI plugin I have to go to the Plugins tab in the main
> > > window. Only then the Web Interface configuration widget appears in
> > > the Settings window. That's a bit awkward IMO. I might file a bug
> > > against it.
> >
> > No, it is not. Web UI is an additional feature (plugin). If plugin is not
> > loaded, so is not its configuration. That's true for all plugins.
>
> Prior to the KDE4 version, ktorrent would load/unload plugins with an
> interface in the settings dialog. Now there is a tab on the main screen.
>
> I think that the point was that having the load/unload functionality on a
> dedicated tab on the main screen is not as intuitive as having it inside
> the settings dialog.

Well, plugins are about functionality first (plugins typically modify ktorrent
interface), then about settings (like the application itself). So there is a
point to have them in the main window. I think the main frustration comes from
the fact that it is a bit different than it used to be therefore it just needs
some time to get addicted to.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>

Matthew Moore 08-01-2010 07:41 PM

Ktorrent WebUI
 
On Sunday August 1 2010 5:03:05 am Modestas Vainius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On sekmadienis 01 Rugpjūtis 2010 13:26:02 Matthew Moore wrote:
> > On Sunday 01 August 2010 1:47:57 am Modestas Vainius wrote:
> > > On sekmadienis 01 Rugpjūtis 2010 03:36:22 Cassiano Leal wrote:
> > > > That said, I think that there's some usability issue there. In order
> > > > to enable the WebUI plugin I have to go to the Plugins tab in the
> > > > main window. Only then the Web Interface configuration widget
> > > > appears in the Settings window. That's a bit awkward IMO. I might
> > > > file a bug against it.
> > >
> > > No, it is not. Web UI is an additional feature (plugin). If plugin is
> > > not loaded, so is not its configuration. That's true for all plugins.
> >
> > Prior to the KDE4 version, ktorrent would load/unload plugins with an
> > interface in the settings dialog. Now there is a tab on the main screen.
> >
> > I think that the point was that having the load/unload functionality on a
> > dedicated tab on the main screen is not as intuitive as having it inside
> > the settings dialog.
>
> Well, plugins are about functionality first (plugins typically modify
> ktorrent interface), then about settings (like the application itself). So
> there is a point to have them in the main window. I think the main
> frustration comes from the fact that it is a bit different than it used to
> be therefore it just needs some time to get addicted to.

I agree that most people complaining are just complaining because it is
different. However, how often does the average user interact with the plugins
tab on the main window? Maybe once or twice when they first start using the
program. Wouldn't it make more sense to put the plugins inside some dialog
accessible from a menu, like settings->plugins...?

MM


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201008011341.14988.anonymous.jondoe@gmail.com">htt p://lists.debian.org/201008011341.14988.anonymous.jondoe@gmail.com

Cassiano Leal 08-01-2010 10:14 PM

Ktorrent WebUI
 
On 1 August 2010 08:03, Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On sekmadienis 01 Rugpjūtis 2010 13:26:02 Matthew Moore wrote:
>> On Sunday 01 August 2010 1:47:57 am Modestas Vainius wrote:
>> > On sekmadienis 01 Rugpjūtis 2010 03:36:22 Cassiano Leal wrote:
>> > > That said, I think that there's some usability issue there. In order
>> > > to enable the WebUI plugin I have to go to the Plugins tab in the main
>> > > window. Only then the Web Interface configuration widget appears in
>> > > the Settings window. That's a bit awkward IMO. I might file a bug
>> > > against it.
>> >
>> > No, it is not. Web UI is an additional feature (plugin). If plugin is not
>> > loaded, so is not its configuration. That's true for all plugins.
>>
>> Prior to the KDE4 version, ktorrent would load/unload plugins with an
>> interface in the settings dialog. Now there is a tab on the main screen.
>>
>> I think that the point was that having the load/unload functionality on a
>> dedicated tab on the main screen is not as intuitive as having it inside
>> the settings dialog.
>
> Well, plugins are about functionality first (plugins typically modify ktorrent
> interface), then about settings (like the application itself). So there is a
> point to have them in the main window.

I understand what you mean, but it is still very counter-intuitive. I
mean, if I want to enable/disable a feature, then that's configuring
the software to me. On top of that, it is IMO *very* awkward having to
enable something in the main window of a program so that *only then*
its settings will *appear* in the settings window. I mean... having a
main window interaction change what's inside the settings window
doesn't seem right to me (here it is! no it isn't anymore).

> I think the main frustration comes from
> the fact that it is a bit different than it used to be therefore it just needs
> some time to get addicted to.

I believe you mean to get used to.

I will disagree with you here. See above. This is not the kind of
behaviour that seems right in the first place. The settings window
modifying the main UI seems right: settings -> program. The other way
around doesn't: program -> settings.

All that said, I still find Ktorrent to be an excellent torrent client.

Oh, and again: does anybody know of a Ktorrent WebUI skin that's more
functional then the ones that are bundled?

Thanks!
Cassiano


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTik9phqZHMt61qRptRA30yGU0-qvyuStSa-QZKSy@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTik9phqZHMt61qRptRA30yGU0-qvyuStSa-QZKSy@mail.gmail.com

Diederik de Haas 08-02-2010 05:00 AM

Ktorrent WebUI
 
On Monday 02 August 2010 00:14:41 Cassiano Leal wrote:
> I understand what you mean, but it is still very counter-intuitive. I
> mean, if I want to enable/disable a feature, then that's configuring
> the software to me. On top of that, it is IMO very awkward having to
> enable something in the main window of a program so that only then
> its settings will appear in the settings window. I mean... having a
> main window interaction change what's inside the settings window
> doesn't seem right to me (here it is! no it isn't anymore).

I think you have a valid point, but it's probably more effective to take the issue up with the
upstream authors (b.k.o.) than trying to convince someone from the Debian KDE team.

Diederik


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201008020700.44479.didi.debian@cknow.org">http://lists.debian.org/201008020700.44479.didi.debian@cknow.org

Modestas Vainius 08-02-2010 06:51 AM

Ktorrent WebUI
 
Hello,

On pirmadienis 02 Rugpjūtis 2010 08:00:44 Diederik de Haas wrote:
> On Monday 02 August 2010 00:14:41 Cassiano Leal wrote:
> > I understand what you mean, but it is still very counter-intuitive. I
> > mean, if I want to enable/disable a feature, then that's configuring
> > the software to me. On top of that, it is IMO very awkward having to
> > enable something in the main window of a program so that only then
> > its settings will appear in the settings window. I mean... having a
> > main window interaction change what's inside the settings window
> > doesn't seem right to me (here it is! no it isn't anymore).
>
> I think you have a valid point, but it's probably more effective to take
> the issue up with the upstream authors (b.k.o.) than trying to convince
> someone from the Debian KDE team.

Yes, I agree. Bring the issue on bugs.kde.org or ktorrent.org forum (ktorrent
developer follows it).

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>

Cassiano Leal 08-02-2010 04:36 PM

Ktorrent WebUI
 
On 2 August 2010 03:51, Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On pirmadienis 02 Rugpjūtis 2010 08:00:44 Diederik de Haas wrote:
>> On Monday 02 August 2010 00:14:41 Cassiano Leal wrote:
>> > I understand what you mean, but it is still very counter-intuitive. I
>> > mean, if I want to enable/disable a feature, then that's configuring
>> > the software to me. On top of that, it is IMO very awkward having to
>> > enable something in the main window of a program so that only then
>> > its settings will appear in the settings window. I mean... having a
>> > main window interaction change what's inside the settings window
>> > doesn't seem right to me (here it is! no it isn't anymore).
>>
>> I think you have a valid point, but it's probably more effective to take
>> the issue up with the upstream authors (b.k.o.) than trying to convince
>> someone from the Debian KDE team.
>
> Yes, I agree. Bring the issue on bugs.kde.org or ktorrent.org forum (ktorrent
> developer follows it).

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=246533

Thanks for your opinions. If anybody cares to comment in the bug
report, that might help. I'm not saying that I am right and Ktorrent
is wrong, but it did feel wrong when I tried to use, so I think at the
very least it is worth raising up the point.

Thanks!
Cassiano


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTi=PN16SrXn9ECWpybA4HFsyueBJo+uksyQ0TR+=@mail .gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTi=PN16SrXn9ECWpybA4HFsyueBJo+uksyQ0TR+=@mail .gmail.com


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:11 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.