Old 07-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Michael Schuerig

Default KMail: heavy disk reading for a long time.

I'm looking astonished at iotop right now. KMail (1.13.3, KDE 4.4.4)
reads from the disk on the order of 8 to 12 MByte/s. There is nothing
obvious it ought to do. Nothing at all related to any user action. I've
even set it to "Work Offline".

Looking at things with strace, apparently KMail is very busily reading
my mail folders (MBOX and cached IMAP). After about 90 minutes of
frantic activity, it has stopped. Not finally, unfortunately. The
activity commences when I restart KMail.

Can anyone give me a hint what is happening? Is this supposed to enhance
my user experience in some way?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de

Old 07-07-2010, 05:37 AM
Adrian von Bidder

Heyho!

On Tuesday 06 July 2010 21.15:03 Michael Schuerig wrote:
> I'm looking astonished at iotop right now. KMail (1.13.3, KDE 4.4.4)
> reads from the disk on the order of 8 to 12 MByte/s. [...] After about 90
> minutes of frantic activity, it has stopped.

I've wondered about this, too. I'm not sure how kmail from KDE 3 behaved,
but I've noticed this a long time ago.

But since I usually have a session opened with kmail running and only
suspend this laptop, it doesn't bother me too much. It does impact the
system performance quite a bit though.

cheers
-- vbi

--
Before too long, Voyager owners (both of them) should once again have
full support for their beloved architecture in the mainline kernel.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Luis Felipe Tabera

On Tuesday July 6 2010, Michael Schuerig <michael@schuerig.de> wrote:
> I'm looking astonished at iotop right now. KMail (1.13.3, KDE 4.4.4)
> reads from the disk on the order of 8 to 12 MByte/s. There is nothing
> obvious it ought to do. Nothing at all related to any user action. I've
> even set it to "Work Offline".
>
> Looking at things with strace, apparently KMail is very busily reading
> my mail folders (MBOX and cached IMAP). After about 90 minutes of
> frantic activity, it has stopped. Not finally, unfortunately. The
> activity commences when I restart KMail.
>
> Can anyone give me a hint what is happening? Is this supposed to enhance
> my user experience in some way?

If you have saved searches this can be one reason. Delete the search folders
and try again.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Michael Schuerig

On Wednesday 07 July 2010, Luis Felipe Tabera wrote:
> On Tuesday July 6 2010, Michael Schuerig <michael@schuerig.de> wrote:
> > I'm looking astonished at iotop right now. KMail (1.13.3, KDE
> > 4.4.4) reads from the disk on the order of 8 to 12 MByte/s. There
> > is nothing obvious it ought to do. Nothing at all related to any
> > user action. I've even set it to "Work Offline".
> >
> > Looking at things with strace, apparently KMail is very busily
> > reading my mail folders (MBOX and cached IMAP). After about 90
> > minutes of frantic activity, it has stopped. Not finally,
> > unfortunately. The activity commences when I restart KMail.
> >
> > Can anyone give me a hint what is happening? Is this supposed to
> > enhance my user experience in some way?
>
> If you have saved searches this can be one reason. Delete the search
> folders and try again.

Searches appear to have been the cause indeed. But, here's the kicker,
no searches were listed under "Searches" in the folder list. I had
looked there before, because I suspected searches.

There was a "Last Search" file in ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/search and I
had to delete that in order to stop KMail's misbehavior.

Michael