Old 06-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Michael Schuerig

Default Amarok and MTP devices

I've been under the impression that Amarok, when moving to version 2.x
lost its ability to interact with mobile devices (iPods etc.). I'm
specifically interested in using MTP devices and I noticed that the
Amarok 2.3.1 depends on libmtp8. Is there a hidden way to fill my media
player or is this just a packaging mistake?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de

Old 06-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Cassiano Leal

On 28 June 2010 10:41, Michael Schuerig <michael@schuerig.de> wrote:
> On Monday 28 June 2010, you wrote:
>> Ah! Try running Amarok first, then connecting your player. This is
>> the way that I trigger MTP support. If I plug the player before
>> running Amarok, then it is recognized as USB mass storage.
>
> Cassiano,
>
> are you using Amarok 2.3? I can't see where and how it supports mobile
> players at all. Amarok 1.4 had this feature, but as far as I can tell,
> it just isn't there anymore.
>
> Michael

Michael,

I'm taking the discussion back to the list as it might be of use to
someone else.

I am running Amarok 2.3.1 under KDE 4.4.3. After I plug the player in,
it appears alongside "Local Collection", under "Local Music" in the
Media Sources tab.

I have pasted a screenshot here: http://imagebin.ca/view/hGkwpHf6.html

Cassiano

Old 06-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Michael Schuerig

On Monday 28 June 2010, Cassiano Leal wrote:
> On 28 June 2010 10:41, Michael Schuerig <michael@schuerig.de> wrote:
> > On Monday 28 June 2010, you wrote:
> >> Ah! Try running Amarok first, then connecting your player. This is
> >> the way that I trigger MTP support. If I plug the player before
> >> running Amarok, then it is recognized as USB mass storage.
> >
> > Cassiano,
> >
> > are you using Amarok 2.3? I can't see where and how it supports
> > mobile players at all. Amarok 1.4 had this feature, but as far as
> > I can tell, it just isn't there anymore.
> >
> > Michael
>
> Michael,
>
> I'm taking the discussion back to the list as it might be of use to
> someone else.
>
> I am running Amarok 2.3.1 under KDE 4.4.3. After I plug the player
> in, it appears alongside "Local Collection", under "Local Music" in
> the Media Sources tab.
>
> I have pasted a screenshot here:
> http://imagebin.ca/view/hGkwpHf6.html

Indeed, now I'm seeing it, too. I had enabled "Merged View" (rightmost
button in the toolbar for "Local Music") and in that view mode there is
no indication at all that an external device has been detected and
mounted.

Thanks for being persistent enough to convince me.

Michael

Old 06-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Cassiano Leal

On 28 June 2010 11:27, Michael Schuerig <michael@schuerig.de> wrote:
> On Monday 28 June 2010, Cassiano Leal wrote:
>> >
>> > Cassiano,
>> >
>> > are you using Amarok 2.3? I can't see where and how it supports
>> > mobile players at all. Amarok 1.4 had this feature, but as far as
>> > I can tell, it just isn't there anymore.
>> >
>> > Michael
>>
>> Michael,
>>
>> I'm taking the discussion back to the list as it might be of use to
>> someone else.
>>
>> I am running Amarok 2.3.1 under KDE 4.4.3. After I plug the player
>> in, it appears alongside "Local Collection", under "Local Music" in
>> the Media Sources tab.
>>
>> I have pasted a screenshot here:
>> http://imagebin.ca/view/hGkwpHf6.html
>
> Indeed, now I'm seeing it, too. I had enabled "Merged View" (rightmost
> button in the toolbar for "Local Music") and in that view mode there is
> no indication at all that an external device has been detected and
> mounted.
>
> Thanks for being persistent enough to convince me.
>
> Michael

Cool!

I didn't even know that such a Merged View existed, so thanks for
pointing that out too!

Cassiano

Old 06-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

On sekmadienis 27 Birželis 2010 19:37:34 Michael Schuerig wrote:
> I've been under the impression that Amarok, when moving to version 2.x
> lost its ability to interact with mobile devices (iPods etc.). I'm
> specifically interested in using MTP devices and I noticed that the
> Amarok 2.3.1 depends on libmtp8. Is there a hidden way to fill my media
> player or is this just a packaging mistake?

Once you plug your MTP device, it should appear near "Local Collection" in the
"Media sources" pane . That's as much as I can tell.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>