-   -   Where does Kontact save contacts? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/388917-where-does-kontact-save-contacts.html)

Michael Schuerig 06-21-2010 03:22 PM

Where does Kontact save contacts?

I'm flabbergasted. I thought I understood where and how
Kontact/KAddressbook saves contact data, i.e. in
~/.local/share/contacts. So it says in the properties for my "Personal
Contacts" address book. Well, if I change any contact information,
Kontact does save it somewhere, as the change is still there are a
restart. But the change does *not* show up in that directory.

The address book is not marked as "read only" and the directory is
writable. KDE is from current unstable.

(My parallel posting on Akonadi agents may be relevant.)

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de

Robert van den Berg 06-21-2010 03:56 PM

On Monday 21 June 2010 17:22:11 Michael Schuerig wrote:
> I'm flabbergasted. I thought I understood where and how
> Kontact/KAddressbook saves contact data, i.e. in
> ~/.local/share/contacts. So it says in the properties for my "Personal
> Contacts" address book. Well, if I change any contact information,
> Kontact does save it somewhere, as the change is still there are a
> restart. But the change does *not* show up in that directory.
>
> The address book is not marked as "read only" and the directory is
> writable. KDE is from current unstable.
>
> (My parallel posting on Akonadi agents may be relevant.)
>
> Michael

Did you look for your contacts in /home/$user/.kde/share/apps/kabc/?

Robert

Kevin Krammer 06-21-2010 03:59 PM

On Monday, 2010-06-21, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> I'm flabbergasted. I thought I understood where and how
> Kontact/KAddressbook saves contact data, i.e. in
> ~/.local/share/contacts. So it says in the properties for my "Personal
> Contacts" address book. Well, if I change any contact information,
> Kontact does save it somewhere, as the change is still there are a
> restart. But the change does *not* show up in that directory.
>
> The address book is not marked as "read only" and the directory is
> writable. KDE is from current unstable.

That sounds like a bug, the resource should have written the file moments
after the contact got added to Akonadi.

Can you run "akonadiconsole" and check what the status of the resource is?
When you click on it, the bottom section should show something like

Cheers,
Kevin

Michael Schuerig 06-21-2010 05:22 PM

On Monday 21 June 2010, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Monday, 2010-06-21, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> > I'm flabbergasted. I thought I understood where and how
> > Kontact/KAddressbook saves contact data, i.e. in
> > ~/.local/share/contacts. So it says in the properties for my
> > "Personal Contacts" address book. Well, if I change any contact
> > information, Kontact does save it somewhere, as the change is
> > still there are a restart. But the change does *not* show up in
> > that directory.
> >
> > The address book is not marked as "read only" and the directory is
> > writable. KDE is from current unstable.
>
> That sounds like a bug, the resource should have written the file
> moments after the contact got added to Akonadi.
>
> Can you run "akonadiconsole" and check what the status of the
> resource is? When you click on it, the bottom section should show
> something like "Status: Online, Idle"

The resource is online, idle an has been every time I looked. In the
meantime, I've restarted Kontact multiple times, but as far as I can
tell from the modification times and file contents in that directory,
changes are not written. Neither are they picked up, when I change one
of the .vcf files there manually.

So, the interesting question remains: where are my contacts?

Michael

Michael Schuerig 06-21-2010 05:24 PM

On Monday 21 June 2010, Robert van den Berg wrote:
> On Monday 21 June 2010 17:22:11 Michael Schuerig wrote:
> > I'm flabbergasted. I thought I understood where and how
> > Kontact/KAddressbook saves contact data, i.e. in
> > ~/.local/share/contacts. So it says in the properties for my
> > "Personal Contacts" address book. Well, if I change any contact
> > information, Kontact does save it somewhere, as the change is
> > still there are a restart. But the change does *not* show up in
> > that directory.
> >
> > The address book is not marked as "read only" and the directory is
> > writable. KDE is from current unstable.
> >
> > (My parallel posting on lAkonadi agents may be relevant.)
> >
> > Michael
>
> Did you look for your contacts in /home/$user/.kde/share/apps/kabc/?

I did look there, but kabc/std.vcf isn't supposed to used anymore and
indeed is not.

Michael

Kevin Krammer 06-21-2010 05:38 PM

Where does Kontact save contacts?

On Monday, 2010-06-21, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> On Monday 21 June 2010, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Monday, 2010-06-21, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> > > I'm flabbergasted. I thought I understood where and how
> > > Kontact/KAddressbook saves contact data, i.e. in
> > > ~/.local/share/contacts. So it says in the properties for my
> > > "Personal Contacts" address book. Well, if I change any contact
> > > information, Kontact does save it somewhere, as the change is
> > > still there are a restart. But the change does *not* show up in
> > > that directory.
> > >
> > > The address book is not marked as "read only" and the directory is
> > > writable. KDE is from current unstable.
> >
> > That sounds like a bug, the resource should have written the file
> > moments after the contact got added to Akonadi.
> >
> > Can you run "akonadiconsole" and check what the status of the
> > resource is? When you click on it, the bottom section should show
> > something like "Status: Online, Idle"
>
> The resource is online, idle an has been every time I looked. In the
> meantime, I've restarted Kontact multiple times, but as far as I can
> tell from the modification times and file contents in that directory,
> changes are not written. Neither are they picked up, when I change one
> of the .vcf files there manually.

Can you check on the second tab, when you click on the folder of the personal
contacts resource, if all entries listed on the right hand side have a "remote
id"?

> So, the interesting question remains: where are my contacts?

It seems they are currently only in the cache.
You can try this:
create a vcard resource, chose any filename.

Copy the contacts to that resource.

Obviously this still doesn't explain why the main resource didn't write them,
but at least you can get them some place safe before investigating deeper.

Cheers,
Kevin

Michael Schuerig 06-21-2010 09:09 PM

Where does Kontact save contacts?

On Monday 21 June 2010, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Monday, 2010-06-21, Michael Schuerig wrote:

> > > That sounds like a bug, the resource should have written the file
> > > moments after the contact got added to Akonadi.
> > >
> > > Can you run "akonadiconsole" and check what the status of the
> > > resource is? When you click on it, the bottom section should show
> > > something like "Status: Online, Idle"
> >
> > The resource is online, idle an has been every time I looked. In
> > the meantime, I've restarted Kontact multiple times, but as far as
> > I can tell from the modification times and file contents in that
> > directory, changes are not written. Neither are they picked up,
> > when I change one of the .vcf files there manually.
>
> Can you check on the second tab, when you click on the folder of the
> personal contacts resource, if all entries listed on the right hand
> side have a "remote id"?

All but one entry have remote ids. The one missing an id is the one I
created for testing previously. I don't think I have created any other
contacts recently.

> > So, the interesting question remains: where are my contacts?
>
> It seems they are currently only in the cache.
> You can try this:
> create a vcard resource, chose any filename.
>
> Copy the contacts to that resource.

I have created a single file vcard resource, copied all the contacts
there and deleted them from the original resource. Then I have copied
everything back and re-sync'd the resource and now, apparently, it keeps
the directory contents synchronized. So now it works, although I can't
say exactly why.

Michael

Alex DEKKER 06-21-2010 09:24 PM

Where does Kontact save contacts?