Old 06-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Michael Schuerig

Default Where does Kontact save contacts?

On Monday 21 June 2010, Alex DEKKER wrote:
> On 21/06/10 18:22, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> > So, the interesting question remains: where are my contacts?
>
> You could use rsync -aP before and after using Kontact to see what
> files are changed. If you really don't know where the files are then
> you will have to rsync all of ~ to somewhere else in order to pick
> the changes up. Narrowing it down to a few directories [eg ~/.kde
> and ~/.local] would speed it up.

There might have been some hope of this working in the olde days when
everything was stored in separate files and the only one acting on them
was the user. Today data is stored in databases and there are more
background tasks than I'd dare to imagine.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de

Old 08-05-2010, 06:49 AM
Michael Schuerig

[This is a follow-up to an old thread, therefore I've left the context
below.]

On Monday 21 June 2010, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> > > So, the interesting question remains: where are my contacts?
> >
> > It seems they are currently only in the cache.
> > You can try this:
> > create a vcard resource, chose any filename.
> >
> > Copy the contacts to that resource.
>
> I have created a single file vcard resource, copied all the contacts
> there and deleted them from the original resource. Then I have copied
> everything back and re-sync'd the resource and now, apparently, it
> keeps the directory contents synchronized. So now it works, although
> I can't say exactly why.

As it happens, the day I wrote the above paragraph is the date of the
latest .vcf file in ~/.local/share/contacts. I have added contacts since
then, but they are *not* saved in files at that location.

Also, in KMail trying to select a recipient by searching in Address book
"Contacts" doesn't find anything at all. "Recent Addresses" does work.

Michael