Old 06-15-2010, 05:55 AM
Michael Schuerig

Default Copying data and settings from old to new computer?

I'm getting a new computer in the next few days and, of course, I need
to move my data from the old to the new one.

In the past, I have simply copied copied ~/.kde, but I hope to find
another way, this time. Over the years, quite a bit of cruft has
accumulated in that directory and I'd like to get rid of that. Besides,
KDE has grown beyond its own directory and puts data in, e.g., ~/.local.
-- Is the safest solution to copy /home in its entirety and sort out the
cruft manually?

Also, as I'm moving from 32-bit to 64-bit, I'm concerned if all data
formats are compatible? Specifically regarding data stored in Akonadi's
MySQL and Virtuoso databases (are there SQLite databases around, too?).

So, I'm wondering, whether there is an "official" way of copying data?
What's been working for others on this list?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de

Old 06-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Facundo Aguilera

El Martes 15 Junio 2010 02:55:12 Michael Schuerig <michael@schuerig.de>
escribió:
> I'm getting a new computer in the next few days and, of course, I need
> to move my data from the old to the new one.
>
> In the past, I have simply copied copied ~/.kde, but I hope to find
> another way, this time. Over the years, quite a bit of cruft has
> accumulated in that directory and I'd like to get rid of that. Besides,
> KDE has grown beyond its own directory and puts data in, e.g., ~/.local.
> -- Is the safest solution to copy /home in its entirety and sort out the
> cruft manually?
>
> (...)
> Michael

Over the years? I suggest you start a new kde configuration.

Facundo

Old 06-15-2010, 01:19 PM
"Huang, Tao"

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Facundo Aguilera <budinero@gmail.com> wrote:

> Over the years? I suggest you start a new kde configuration.
>
> Facundo

+1

Tao

Old 06-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Carsten Pfeiffer

Am Dienstag 15 Juni 2010 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> I'm getting a new computer in the next few days and, of course, I need
> to move my data from the old to the new one.
>
> In the past, I have simply copied copied ~/.kde, but I hope to find
> another way, this time. Over the years, quite a bit of cruft has
> accumulated in that directory and I'd like to get rid of that. Besides,
> KDE has grown beyond its own directory and puts data in, e.g., ~/.local.
> -- Is the safest solution to copy /home in its entirety and sort out the
> cruft manually?
>
> Also, as I'm moving from 32-bit to 64-bit, I'm concerned if all data
> formats are compatible? Specifically regarding data stored in Akonadi's
> MySQL and Virtuoso databases (are there SQLite databases around, too?).

Interestingly I've done the very same just 3 days ago (old installation was
years old, new installation is 64-bit).

For KDE things, there is http://kamion2.sourceforge.net/ but I don't know how
well it works. I didn't use it because I also had to migrate other settings
(.ssh, .gnupg, .bash*, etc.), so I simply manually checked everything in
.local, .config and .kde and copied over everything that looked migration-
worthy.

That took less than an hour, and the results are pretty good. Important apps
like kontact/kmail/akregator/knode, konqueror, amarok all work like before,
and I got rid of a lot of old cruft.

Of course I still have a copy of *all* old files around in case I missed
something.

Cheers,
Carsten

Old 06-16-2010, 08:58 AM
cobaco

On 2010-06-15, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> I'm getting a new computer in the next few days and, of course, I need
> to move my data from the old to the new one.
>
> In the past, I have simply copied copied ~/.kde, but I hope to find
> another way, this time. Over the years, quite a bit of cruft has
> accumulated in that directory and I'd like to get rid of that. Besides,
> KDE has grown beyond its own directory and puts data in, e.g., ~/.local.
> -- Is the safest solution to copy /home in its entirety and sort out the
> cruft manually?

think the opposite approach works better: start fresh and copy over just the
bits you don't want to redo

> So, I'm wondering, whether there is an "official" way of copying data?
> What's been working for others on this list?

I did the above approach a couple of weeks ago for new lappie, basically I
started fresh except for kmail, akregator and kwallet (note that kmail will
be regenerating all indexes on startup in this case which can take a while
if you have a lot of mail)
--
Cheers, Cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)

Old 06-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Kevin Krammer

On Wednesday, 2010-06-16, cobaco wrote:
> On 2010-06-15, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> > I'm getting a new computer in the next few days and, of course, I need
> > to move my data from the old to the new one.
> >
> > In the past, I have simply copied copied ~/.kde, but I hope to find
> > another way, this time. Over the years, quite a bit of cruft has
> > accumulated in that directory and I'd like to get rid of that. Besides,
> > KDE has grown beyond its own directory and puts data in, e.g., ~/.local.
> > -- Is the safest solution to copy /home in its entirety and sort out the
> > cruft manually?
>
> think the opposite approach works better: start fresh and copy over just
> the bits you don't want to redo
>
> > So, I'm wondering, whether there is an "official" way of copying data?
> > What's been working for others on this list?
>
> I did the above approach a couple of weeks ago for new lappie, basically I
> started fresh except for kmail, akregator and kwallet (note that kmail will
> be regenerating all indexes on startup in this case which can take a while
> if you have a lot of mail)

I think you can avoid that by creating an archive (e.g. using tar) of the mail
directory and restoring that on the new account/computer.

something like

tar xvf kmail.tar .kde/share/apps/kmail .kde/share/config/kmailrc
.kde/share/config/kmail.notifyrc
.kde/share/config/emailidentities .kde/share/config/mailtransports

Cheers,
Kevin

Old 06-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Hi Huang and Facundo,

Am Dienstag 15 Juni 2010 schrieb Huang, Tao:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Facundo Aguilera <budinero@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Over the years? I suggest you start a new kde configuration.
> >
> > Facundo
>
> +1

Why?

I didn't start a new KDE configuration since the initial Debian Sarge setup
on my ThinkPad T23. Even the KDE configuration of my T42 is based on a
copied over one from the T23.

If it can't work without reboot or cleaning the configuration its broken.
My oppinion about this is that simple.

Ok, cruft would be an issue, but then it should be easy to find any piece
of space-wise delete-worthy cruft with du, filelight and others. And
whether there is some k-de-installed-app-rc of 5 KiB or so? I don't care.

But how about sizes of ~/.kde anyway? Mine is:

martin@shambhala:~/.kde> du -sh * | egrep -v "(^0|cache)"
12K Autostart
8,0K env
13M lib
682M share
4,0K shutdown

And as expected most of it lives in share:

martin@shambhala:~/.kde/share> du -sh * | egrep -v "(^0|cache)"
12K applications
324K applnk
662M apps
4,0K autostart
3,8M config
1,5M emoticons
180K icons
48K kde4
988K locale
68K mimelnk
48K services
4,0K servicetypes
14M wallpapers

"kde4" looks cumbersome. Yes, from a basket installed into my home
directory. But also some other services, that probably should fit better
into "services"? "locale" is from that basket installation too, I think I
do not install KDE apps into my home directory anymore .

And there in apps:

martin@shambhala:~/.kde/share/apps> du -sh * | grep "M"
342M akregator
49M amarok
1,1M aurorae
9,4M basket
1,1M kconf_update
13M kdeprint
11M kget
3,2M kiten
2,2M kmail
1,1M konqueror
5,7M konversation
2,0M kopete
11M korganizer
8,3M kpdf
2,8M kstars
2,8M ktorrent
171M nepomuk
20M plasma_engine_comic

Thus space-wise delete-worthy cruft is easy to spot. I know my Akregator
setup is insane . plasma_engine_comic looks like it is caching a lot of
comics, kdeprint and kget are huge, but apart from that nothing too
unexpected.

Ciao,

Old 06-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Michael Schuerig

On Wednesday 16 June 2010, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> If it can't work without reboot or cleaning the configuration its
> broken. My oppinion about this is that simple.

As I'm now mostly through the migration, I can tell you that all the
databases break on the change from 32 to 64 bit. The Desktop Search
database (virtuoso) doesn't work anymore. The Akonadi database (MySQL
server) doesn't work anymore, but if you know your way with mysqldump
you have a chance to extract the data and insert it again in the new
database.

Amarok is a different case. It uses an embedded MySQL engine (mysqle)
and I haven't found a way to dump that. The upshot? I had to rescan my
entire music collection and lost my ratings and statistics in the
process.

Michael

Old 06-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Mittwoch 16 Juni 2010 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> On Wednesday 16 June 2010, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > If it can't work without reboot or cleaning the configuration its
> > broken. My oppinion about this is that simple.
>
> As I'm now mostly through the migration, I can tell you that all the
> databases break on the change from 32 to 64 bit. The Desktop Search
> database (virtuoso) doesn't work anymore. The Akonadi database (MySQL
> server) doesn't work anymore, but if you know your way with mysqldump
> you have a chance to extract the data and insert it again in the new
> database.

Okay. Good to know. I thought about even migrating my 32-bit debian setup
to 64-bit once I have a suitable laptop.[1]

I think you can safely recreate both of those. But the Nepomuk one only if
you didn't add your own tags or other hand-made information.

> Amarok is a different case. It uses an embedded MySQL engine (mysqle)
> and I haven't found a way to dump that. The upshot? I had to rescan my
> entire music collection and lost my ratings and statistics in the
> process.

But not this one.

Maybe you can dump it, if you install a 32 bit - I don't know if a 64 bit
MySQL will work - MySQL server and put the directory

/home/martin/.kde/share/apps/amarok/mysqle/amarok

into /var/lib/mysql.

Maybe there is another command for dumping an MySQL embedded database. Did
you use a search engine to find something like that?

[1] http://teddyb.org/~rlpowell/hobbies/debian_arch_up/

Ciao,

Old 06-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Michael Schuerig

On Wednesday 16 June 2010, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 16 Juni 2010 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> > On Wednesday 16 June 2010, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> > Amarok is a different case. It uses an embedded MySQL engine
> > (mysqle) and I haven't found a way to dump that. The upshot? I had
> > to rescan my entire music collection and lost my ratings and
> > statistics in the process.
>
> But not this one.
>
> Maybe you can dump it, if you install a 32 bit - I don't know if a 64
> bit MySQL will work - MySQL server and put the directory

I tried to do that on the old machine. Using a MySQL 32-bit *server* to
run with the MySQLe data dir. Didn't work.

> Maybe there is another command for dumping an MySQL embedded
> database. Did you use a search engine to find something like that?

I was unable to find anything relevant on the web. I'm using MySQL (if I
can't use PostgreSQL) for software development and these are details
even I am not familiar with, I would expect an ordinary user to have any
idea of them.

Michael