Old 06-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Martin Steigerwald

Default Copying data and settings from old to new computer?

Am Mittwoch 16 Juni 2010 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> On Wednesday 16 June 2010, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch 16 Juni 2010 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> > > On Wednesday 16 June 2010, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > >
> > > Amarok is a different case. It uses an embedded MySQL engine
> > > (mysqle) and I haven't found a way to dump that. The upshot? I had
> > > to rescan my entire music collection and lost my ratings and
> > > statistics in the process.
> >
> > But not this one.
> >
> > Maybe you can dump it, if you install a 32 bit - I don't know if a 64
> > bit MySQL will work - MySQL server and put the directory
>
> I tried to do that on the old machine. Using a MySQL 32-bit *server* to
> run with the MySQLe data dir. Didn't work.
>
> > Maybe there is another command for dumping an MySQL embedded
> > database. Did you use a search engine to find something like that?
>
> I was unable to find anything relevant on the web. I'm using MySQL (if
> I can't use PostgreSQL) for software development and these are details
> even I am not familiar with, I would expect an ordinary user to have
> any idea of them.

IMHO thats worth a upstream bug report regarding Amarok. The application
should provide a migration path from 32- to 64-bit. Or you can ask on the
amarok mailinglist.

Hmmm, sooner or later I will face the same problem then. I think I write a
short note to Amarok mailing list.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:38 AM
Valerio Passini

> I tried to do that on the old machine. Using a MySQL 32-bit *server*
> to run with the MySQLe data dir. Didn't work.
>
> > Maybe there is another command for dumping an MySQL embedded
> > database. Did you use a search engine to find something like that?
>
> I was unable to find anything relevant on the web. I'm using MySQL
> (if I can't use PostgreSQL) for software development and these are
> details even I am not familiar with, I would expect an ordinary user
> to have any idea of them.
>
> Michael

Shortly, I'd suggest to use a whole backup of your home directory it's
faster and you don't lose any data. Later, you can start removing stuff
here and there or cleanup your configuration.

About the 32bit/64bit issue. From what I have read around (mainly here:
http://lists.mysql.com/mysql/212521) you can migrate your MySQL db using
"dumps" (I don't know what they are, but it seems feasible).

Valerio

Old 06-17-2010, 08:54 AM
Michael Schuerig

On Thursday 17 June 2010, Valerio Passini wrote:
> > I tried to do that on the old machine. Using a MySQL 32-bit
> > *server* to run with the MySQLe data dir. Didn't work.
> >
> > > Maybe there is another command for dumping an MySQL embedded
> > > database. Did you use a search engine to find something like
> > > that?
> >
> > I was unable to find anything relevant on the web. I'm using MySQL
> > (if I can't use PostgreSQL) for software development and these are
> > details even I am not familiar with, I would expect an ordinary
> > user to have any idea of them.
> >
> > Michael
>
> Shortly, I'd suggest to use a whole backup of your home directory
> it's faster and you don't lose any data. Later, you can start
> removing stuff here and there or cleanup your configuration.

I have multiple backups of everything. The problem here is that they
just don't work on different architectures. Anyway, I have apparently
managed quite well with judicious copying of stuff from ~/.kde. But I
was only able to do so, because my understanding of how things work is
rather above that of an ordinary user.

> About the 32bit/64bit issue. From what I have read around (mainly
> here: http://lists.mysql.com/mysql/212521) you can migrate your
> MySQL db using "dumps" (I don't know what they are, but it seems
> feasible).

Yes, that's what I did for my *regular* MySQL (and PostgreSQL) database
running on a database server. I just haven't found any way to dump the
data from an *embedded* MySQL database such as Amarok uses.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de