Old 06-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Andreas Bourges

Default status of nouveau?

Hi,

...this is slightly off-topic, but since my system is KDE 4.4 (and I want to
use its eye-candy ), I'd like to know if there's anyone out there running KDE
4.4 using the current nouveau driver? My system is mainly sid, but I'm willing
to install some experimental packages (e.g. nouveau driver) to make things
work

So any experiences on nouveau installation/3d support? I'm just about to go
through the installation process mentioned in

http://www.seanius.net/blog/2010/04/nouveau-gallium-and-compiz-on-debian/

...but would be nice to get some feedback first

Thanks,

Andy

Old 06-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

On šeštadienis 12 Birželis 2010 11:40:10 Andreas Bourges wrote:
> ...this is slightly off-topic, but since my system is KDE 4.4 (and I want
> to use its eye-candy ), I'd like to know if there's anyone out there
> running KDE 4.4 using the current nouveau driver? My system is mainly sid,
> but I'm willing to install some experimental packages (e.g. nouveau
> driver) to make things work

I have been using KDE 4 with XRender effects under nouveau driver for over a
year now. No regrets. Occasionally minimizing gets really slow for ~20 seconds
but that does not bother me.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>

Old 06-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Andreas Bourges

Old 06-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

On šeštadienis 12 Birželis 2010 16:09:19 Andreas Bourges wrote:
> That sounds good! Did you use the debian packaged drivers
> (sid/experimental) or did you compile reset versions yourself?

I use self compiled version on my main machine (good quality packages had not
been available for a very long time). However, there is kernel/driver from sid
on another machine and that duo works well too.

Please note, that I'm talking about XRender here, not OpenGL.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>

Old 06-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Andreas Bourges

Old 06-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

On šeštadienis 12 Birželis 2010 19:54:41 Andreas Bourges wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Saturday 12 June 2010 18:40:33 Modestas Vainius wrote:
> > I use self compiled version on my main machine (good quality packages had
> > not been available for a very long time). However, there is kernel/driver
> > from sid on another machine and that duo works well too.
> >
> > Please note, that I'm talking about XRender here, not OpenGL.
>
> ok - do plasma effects work with xrender? Or do I need to go for gallium...

I'm not sure what you mean by "plasma effects"? Could you be more specific?

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>

Old 06-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Andreas Bourges

Old 06-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

On šeštadienis 12 Birželis 2010 20:46:46 Andreas Bourges wrote:

> sorry - it's a bit unspecific
>
> I guess the "small" effects (e.g. fade-in/out of widgets) would work with
> xrender and all heavy-3d-stuff (e.g. folder-view for windows) will not
> work?

I still have no idea what you are talking about so I can only suggest trying
yourself it should not be too hard to install from packages. However, kwin
may not let you enable effects due to faild "configuration checks" so you
might have to disable them and/or even enable effects via editing of
~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc if kwin does not surrender.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>

Old 06-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Andreas Bourges