Old 06-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Valerio Passini

Default Akonadi with external MySQL

Hello,

I'm trying to spare resources in my system and since I have successfully
set up a MySQL db for amarok, I was thinking about using a similar
solution for akonadi. So far and despite a lot of problems, I have been
able to run it.
The documentation around Internet on this topic seems rather limited and
that's probably why I initially failed.
Summarizing:
I have created a database using mysql called akonadi with proper user
and password.
In akonaditray, I have configured the external MySQL server (db name:
akonadi; host: localhost; username: myname; pw;mypw).
The most important option I have set is actually "Options". I changed
the line originally written there with the following:
UNIX_SOCKET=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
I don't know why akonadi was otherwise unable to start.
Then I needed to add an address book. I opened kontact -> contacts ->
New -> Add new addressbook and from that point I followed the wizard
just to migrate my resources from kabc to akonadi.
During the populating process, there were several errors related to
birthday resources (they are annoying, but they seem not harmful. I just
closed them). Anyhow, the birthdays seem correctly displayed in
Calendar.
Finally, in system activity there is just one MySQL process and not two
as previously, sparing around 20MB of RAM memory.

Valerio

Old 06-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Ralf Schmitt

On 09-06, Valerio Passini wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to spare resources in my system and since I have successfully
> set up a MySQL db for amarok, I was thinking about using a similar
> solution for akonadi. So far and despite a lot of problems, I have been
> able to run it.
> The documentation around Internet on this topic seems rather limited and
> that's probably why I initially failed.
> Summarizing:
> I have created a database using mysql called akonadi with proper user
> and password.
> In akonaditray, I have configured the external MySQL server (db name:
> akonadi; host: localhost; username: myname; pw;mypw).
> The most important option I have set is actually "Options". I changed
> the line originally written there with the following:
> UNIX_SOCKET=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
> I don't know why akonadi was otherwise unable to start.
> Then I needed to add an address book. I opened kontact -> contacts ->
> New -> Add new addressbook and from that point I followed the wizard
> just to migrate my resources from kabc to akonadi.
> During the populating process, there were several errors related to
> birthday resources (they are annoying, but they seem not harmful. I just
> closed them). Anyhow, the birthdays seem correctly displayed in
> Calendar.
> Finally, in system activity there is just one MySQL process and not two
> as previously, sparing around 20MB of RAM memory.

This would be a really good step in the right direction. At the moment I have
to install a database server just to have current kopete running. Bye bye
kopete. It's sad to see more and more really good kde apps leaving my desktop
because of dependency overkill.

Ralf

Old 06-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Robert van den Berg

On Wednesday 09 June 2010 15:10:38 Valerio Passini wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to spare resources in my system and since I have successfully
> set up a MySQL db for amarok, I was thinking about using a similar
> solution for akonadi. So far and despite a lot of problems, I have been
> able to run it.
> The documentation around Internet on this topic seems rather limited and
> that's probably why I initially failed.
> Summarizing:
> I have created a database using mysql called akonadi with proper user
> and password.
> In akonaditray, I have configured the external MySQL server (db name:
> akonadi; host: localhost; username: myname; pw;mypw).
> The most important option I have set is actually "Options". I changed
> the line originally written there with the following:
> UNIX_SOCKET=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
> I don't know why akonadi was otherwise unable to start.
> Then I needed to add an address book. I opened kontact -> contacts ->
> New -> Add new addressbook and from that point I followed the wizard
> just to migrate my resources from kabc to akonadi.
> During the populating process, there were several errors related to
> birthday resources (they are annoying, but they seem not harmful. I just
> closed them). Anyhow, the birthdays seem correctly displayed in
> Calendar.
> Finally, in system activity there is just one MySQL process and not two
> as previously, sparing around 20MB of RAM memory.
>
> Valerio

I have the same setup as you (in squeeze). I receive "unknown error. (Unknown
resource)" error messages regarding the address book and the birthdays.

I have more problems with the address book. First, while the Address book
option in akonadi points to /home/robert/.kde/share/apps/kabc/stdvcf/ and
while this folder contains contacts, they don't appear in kaddressbook.
Second, there is address info in /home/robert/.kde/share/apps/kabc/ in the
form of std.vcf. I can read those, however I can't make new contacts. I can
make new contact groups, but I can't add contacts to them. The file persists
but the contacts disappear after a few seconds.

Do these things work for you?

One factor that could make it more complex is that the directory
/home/robert/.kde/share/apps/kabc/ is a sym link to a network drive.

By the way I don't mean to hijack your thread but since we run the same setup
I'm curious about your experience. My apologies if this is perceived as such.
(I haven't spend much time on research because I find it a bit daunting to
start looking for akonadi)

Cheers,

Robert

Old 06-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Valerio Passini

Alle Wednesday 09 June 2010, Robert van den Berg ha scritto:
> Do these things work for you?
>
> One factor that could make it more complex is that the directory
> /home/robert/.kde/share/apps/kabc/ is a sym link to a network drive.
>
> By the way I don't mean to hijack your thread but since we run the
> same setup I'm curious about your experience. My apologies if this
> is perceived as such. (I haven't spend much time on research because
> I find it a bit daunting to start looking for akonadi)

Yes, they do. Occasionally, I have to reload kontact since akonadi seem
slower to start and load its data, and this sometime leads to
unavailable resources.
At the beginning of the migration from the embedded MySQL to the
external one, I had to carefully choose which resources I wanted to
migrate. I have kabc with a single std.vcf with all my contacts and this
affected my choices during the wizard stage. There are no problem in
adding new contacts. Maybe you have some permission problems in
accessing your folder and/or in db. I'm just guessing.

I can't find anymore a web resource that talked about using akonadi over
a network, so I can't say if it works or not.

NP, I think we are discussing about the topic and still exchanging
experiences.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

On ketvirtadienis 10 Birželis 2010 10:29:08 Valerio Passini wrote:
> Yes, they do. Occasionally, I have to reload kontact since akonadi seem
> slower to start and load its data, and this sometime leads to
> unavailable resources.
> At the beginning of the migration from the embedded MySQL to the
> external one, I had to carefully choose which resources I wanted to
> migrate. I have kabc with a single std.vcf with all my contacts and this
> affected my choices during the wizard stage.

Hmm, contacts are stored in std.vcf file, not akonadi. Akonadi is just a
"proxy" and metadata storage. So I don't really understand what data you had
to migrate.

However, once kmail starts using akonadi, there will be kept some interesting
data like extended status of emails or offline IMAP metadata.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>

Old 06-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Valerio Passini

Alle Thursday 10 June 2010, Modestas Vainius ha scritto:
> Hello,
>
> On ketvirtadienis 10 Birželis 2010 10:29:08 Valerio Passini wrote:
> > Yes, they do. Occasionally, I have to reload kontact since akonadi
> > seem slower to start and load its data, and this sometime leads to
> > unavailable resources.
> > At the beginning of the migration from the embedded MySQL to the
> > external one, I had to carefully choose which resources I wanted to
> > migrate. I have kabc with a single std.vcf with all my contacts and
> > this affected my choices during the wizard stage.
>
> Hmm, contacts are stored in std.vcf file, not akonadi. Akonadi is
> just a "proxy" and metadata storage. So I don't really understand
> what data you had to migrate.
>
> However, once kmail starts using akonadi, there will be kept some
> interesting data like extended status of emails or offline IMAP
> metadata.

Actually, when I configured the external MySQL, the db was completely
empty and I had to struggle a lot to go back to the previous internal db
and export its data (akonadi server was not starting, there were
multiple MySQL instances, and so on).
In the end it was possible to fill the contacts using either the std.vcf
found in kabc, or the exported addressbook.vcf from the internal db.
This is what I meant when I wrote "migration".

Old 06-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Valerio Passini

Alle Thursday 10 June 2010, Modestas Vainius ha scritto:
> Hello,
>
> On ketvirtadienis 10 Birželis 2010 10:29:08 Valerio Passini wrote:
> > Yes, they do. Occasionally, I have to reload kontact since akonadi
> > seem slower to start and load its data, and this sometime leads to
> > unavailable resources.
> > At the beginning of the migration from the embedded MySQL to the
> > external one, I had to carefully choose which resources I wanted to
> > migrate. I have kabc with a single std.vcf with all my contacts and
> > this affected my choices during the wizard stage.
>
> Hmm, contacts are stored in std.vcf file, not akonadi. Akonadi is
> just a "proxy" and metadata storage. So I don't really understand
> what data you had to migrate.
>
> However, once kmail starts using akonadi, there will be kept some
> interesting data like extended status of emails or offline IMAP
> metadata.

Now I have understood that the contacts data are always stored in kabc
as std.vcf files, but as I told before, akonadi configured for using an
external MySQL server was not caring at all about it and Contacts was
completely empty.
Even without knowing the internal structure of the way akonadi
stores/shows data, I made the right steps to make it work. It's a raw
process, but it worked.