Old 06-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Michael Schuerig

Default Replacement for guidedog, firewall config UI

I've had a look what's still holding back parts of KDE 3 on my system
and found KGhostView, KDirStat, and Guarddog. The former two I can do
without, but I've come to like guarddog for configuring the firewall on
my notebook.

Guarddog first of all provides ease of use, not just a GUI. So something
like KMyFirewall wouldn't be a suitable replacement, even if it were
available for KDE 4. I really don't want a tool that makes me crawl
around at iptables level.

As a non-GUI candidate, I'm considering firehol. It's provides a high
level of abstraction and I have already used it on servers.

Are there any suggestions from the KDE space?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de

Old 06-06-2010, 10:10 PM
godo

I've had a look what's still holding back parts of KDE 3 on my system
and found KGhostView, KDirStat, and Guarddog. The former two I can do
without, but I've come to like guarddog for configuring the firewall on
my notebook.

Guarddog first of all provides ease of use, not just a GUI. So something
like KMyFirewall wouldn't be a suitable replacement, even if it were
available for KDE 4. I really don't want a tool that makes me crawl
around at iptables level.

As a non-GUI candidate, I'm considering firehol. It's provides a high
level of abstraction and I have already used it on servers.

Are there any suggestions from the KDE space?

Michael

There is guarddog for Squeeze and Sid:
http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=names&suite=all&section=all&keywor ds=Guarddog

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic

Old 06-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Michael Schuerig

On Monday 07 June 2010, godo wrote:
> On 06/06/2010 10:57 PM, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> > I've had a look what's still holding back parts of KDE 3 on my
> > system and found KGhostView, KDirStat, and Guarddog. The former
> > two I can do without, but I've come to like guarddog for
> > configuring the firewall on my notebook.
> >
> > Guarddog first of all provides ease of use, not just a GUI. So
> > something like KMyFirewall wouldn't be a suitable replacement,
> > even if it were available for KDE 4. I really don't want a tool
> > that makes me crawl around at iptables level.

> There is guarddog for Squeeze and Sid:
> http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=names&suite=all&section=al
> l&keywords=Guarddog

I know, I'm using it. It depends on KDE 3.5.x whose days will come to an
end soon-ish.

Michael