-   -   update-notifier-kde, freespacenotifier: where's the UI? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/380399-update-notifier-kde-freespacenotifier-wheres-ui.html)

Michael Schuerig 06-02-2010 01:38 PM

update-notifier-kde, freespacenotifier: where's the UI?

The description for freespacenotifier says

This module notifies the user when space is running out in
/home or in one of the other directories, where you can configure
freespacenotifier to monitor.

And indeed, in the package contents I can see some configuration related
files. However, I can't find a way to get to a settings window.

For update-notifier-kde, apparently, there is nothing to configure.

In both cases the package description would be much more informative if
it gave a hint as to what the supposed UI is, how users are informed of
things.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de

Sune Vuorela 06-02-2010 02:18 PM

On 2010-06-02, Michael Schuerig <michael@schuerig.de> wrote:

> The description for freespacenotifier says
>
> This module notifies the user when space is running out in
> /home or in one of the other directories, where you can configure
> freespacenotifier to monitor.
>
> And indeed, in the package contents I can see some configuration related
> files. However, I can't find a way to get to a settings window.

The configuration window is available only when freespacenotifier
notifies you about lack of free space. It is available thru the
notification.

> For update-notifier-kde, apparently, there is nothing to configure.

Nope. there is nothing to configure. What would you like to be able to
configure?

/Sune
- debian maintainer of freespacenotifier
- debian maintainer and upstream developer of update-notifier-kde

Michael Schuerig 06-02-2010 04:23 PM

On Wednesday 02 June 2010, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2010-06-02, Michael Schuerig <michael@schuerig.de> wrote:
> > The description for freespacenotifier says
> >
> > This module notifies the user when space is running out in
> > /home or in one of the other directories, where you can configure
> > freespacenotifier to monitor.
> >
> > And indeed, in the package contents I can see some configuration
> > related files. However, I can't find a way to get to a settings
> > window.
>
> The configuration window is available only when freespacenotifier
> notifies you about lack of free space. It is available thru the
> notification.
>
> > For update-notifier-kde, apparently, there is nothing to configure.
>
> Nope. there is nothing to configure. What would you like to be able
> to configure?
>
> /Sune
> - debian maintainer of freespacenotifier
> - debian maintainer and upstream developer of update-notifier-kde

I don't want to configure anything, I would just like to know or be able
to easily find out what to expect from these packages. I think in both
cases it would be nice to have a README that states something like this

"This package runs a background process managed by the KDE daemon. It
watches for <condition XYZ> and alerts the user through the KDE
notification system if that condition is met."

Michael

Sune Vuorela 06-02-2010 07:55 PM

On 2010-06-02, Michael Schuerig <michael@schuerig.de> wrote:
> I don't want to configure anything, I would just like to know or be able
> to easily find out what to expect from these packages. I think in both
> cases it would be nice to have a README that states something like this
>
> "This package runs a background process managed by the KDE daemon. It
> watches for <condition XYZ> and alerts the user through the KDE
> notification system if that condition is met."

It would be really great if you can draft it a bit futher. You are quite
correct in that description.

Update-notifier notifies the user when there is upgrades and/or security
upgrades available. Update-notifier also notifies teh user if there has
been some upgrades that requires a reboot in order to take effect (most
often linux-image*)

Freespacenotifier notifies the user when there is less than 2G freespace
in home. When Freespacenotifier notifies the user, it also gives the
option to reconfigure the notifications.

If you can draft two readme's I will be happy to ship them. If there is
more information needed, feel free to ask. My doc-writintg skills
unfortunately isn't the best.

/Sune

Valerio Passini 06-02-2010 11:04 PM

Alle mercoledý 02 giugno 2010, Sune Vuorela ha scritto:
> On 2010-06-02, Michael Schuerig <michael@schuerig.de> wrote:
> > I don't want to configure anything, I would just like to know or be
> > able to easily find out what to expect from these packages. I
> > think in both cases it would be nice to have a README that states
> > something like this
> >
> > "This package runs a background process managed by the KDE daemon.
> > It watches for <condition XYZ> and alerts the user through the KDE
> > notification system if that condition is met."
>
> It would be really great if you can draft it a bit futher. You are
> quite correct in that description.
>
> Update-notifier notifies the user when there is upgrades and/or
> security upgrades available. Update-notifier also notifies teh user
> if there has been some upgrades that requires a reboot in order to
> take effect (most often linux-image*)
>
> Freespacenotifier notifies the user when there is less than 2G
> freespace in home. When Freespacenotifier notifies the user, it also
> gives the option to reconfigure the notifications.
>
> If you can draft two readme's I will be happy to ship them. If there
> is more information needed, feel free to ask. My doc-writintg skills
> unfortunately isn't the best.
>
> /Sune

I have appreciated these new programs that pop useful messages in the
systray. Freespace-notifier is easy to configure (just one simple
option) and very useful. In fact it has happened that the free space in
my home was quickly consumed by .xsession-errors, and this warning would
prevent the problem in the future. The only "bug" that I have met in
freespace-notifier is that the three buttons overcome the window layout
(i.e.: one of the button is one tenth outside the border).
The update-notifier is nice, but I would like to know how it retrieves
the information it displays (presumably, from apt). If this is the case,
is there a demon running in background or apt is called by update-
notifier? Today in VT (ctrl+alt+F1) there was a message asking to
reboot, Is this message related in anyway to update-notifier?
These are questions that can be interesting to be answered to in the
README/man page you are preparing.
Thank you

Valerio