-   -   compositing unavailable to KDE with Radeon HD 4650 and fglrx driver (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/379477-compositing-unavailable-kde-radeon-hd-4650-fglrx-driver.html)

Seb 05-31-2010 08:58 PM

compositing unavailable to KDE with Radeon HD 4650 and fglrx driver

Hi,

I'm on an AMD64 Hp system (AMD Phenom(tm) 9650 Quad-Core Processor, as
reported by Kinfo). I've switched to an ATI Radeon HD 4650 graphics
card a few days ago. Everything is back to working conditions, except
compositing in KDE. I'm using Debian sid packages for kde and fglrx
(the latter built with module-assistant). System Settings says
"Compositing is not supported on your system. Required X extensions
(XComposite and XDamage) are not available." Switching compositing type
under the "Advanced" tab results in the message: "Failed to activate
desktop effects using the given configuration options. Settings will be
reverted to their previous values. Check your X configuration. You may
also consider changing advanced options, especially changing the
compositing type.

My /etc/X11/xorg.conf has:

---<--------------------cut here---------------start------------------->---
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "aticonfig Layout"
Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
Screen "amdcccle-Screen[1]-1" 1920 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "GLcore"
Load "glx"
Load "dri"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "Xinerama" "on"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "0-CRT1"
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
Option "PreferredMode" "1280x1024"
Option "TargetRefresh" "60"
Option "Position" "0 0"
Option "Rotate" "normal"
Option "Disable" "false"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "0-CRT2"
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
Option "PreferredMode" "1920x1080"
Option "TargetRefresh" "60"
Option "Position" "0 0"
Option "Rotate" "normal"
Option "Disable" "false"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "enable"
Option "Damage" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "Monitor-CRT2" "0-CRT2"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "amdcccle-Device[1]-1"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "Monitor-CRT1" "0-CRT1"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Screen 1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "amdcccle-Screen[1]-1"
Device "amdcccle-Device[1]-1"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Which was produced with aticonfig and the fglrx control center for a
dual-monitor setup. Any help finding a cure appreciated.

Cheers,

--
Seb

Seb 05-31-2010 10:46 PM

compositing unavailable to KDE with Radeon HD 4650 and fglrx driver

On Mon, 31 May 2010 15:58:50 -0500,