Old 05-31-2010, 03:05 PM
Valerio Passini

Default braindump Vs Vym Vs kdissert

Hello Developers,

You mentioned braindump in koffice semi-official repository, and I have
discovered this is a program for drawing mind-maps, similar to vym and
kdissert. Why do you like it more than the other alternatives?
Thank you

Valerio

Old 05-31-2010, 04:30 PM
Alejandro Exojo

El Lunes, 31 de Mayo de 2010, Valerio Passini escribió:
> Why do you like it more than the other alternatives?

I've used both VYM and KDissert (I suppose Semantik, it's KDE4 version,
behaves the same), and I've seen a screencast of braindump 0.8.

I see braindump as a different mindmapping tool than others. Since it's built
using KOffice technologies, it has many drawing and presentation options.
That's pretty nice for some purposes. However, I see KDissert and VYM (and
other more "conventional" programs) as more focused on mindmapping. There the
interface and the drawing are more focused on having all well tied together,
since that's what makes a drawing a real mindmap with everything related.

That said, I'm using none of them, since I like much more the way that
Freemind behaves. This is a different way of doing a mindmap, since you focus
much less in positioning everything or drawing graphical elements. You just
focus on taking notes of everything in a structured way. And since it
supports folding (a complete must have for me, but kind of impossible to
implement with other tools), it's quite convenient for making summaries or
to-do lists. It's only problem is that is written in Java, so is slow and
heavy, and it's UI is a little bit ugly (the keybindings are quite nice,
tough).

Greetings.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2

Old 06-03-2010, 07:03 AM
Valerio Passini

Alle lunedì 31 maggio 2010, Alejandro Exojo ha scritto:
> El Lunes, 31 de Mayo de 2010, Valerio Passini escribió:
> > Why do you like it more than the other alternatives?
>
> I've used both VYM and KDissert (I suppose Semantik, it's KDE4
> version, behaves the same), and I've seen a screencast of braindump
> 0.8.
>
> I see braindump as a different mindmapping tool than others. Since
> it's built using KOffice technologies, it has many drawing and
> presentation options. That's pretty nice for some purposes. However,
> I see KDissert and VYM (and other more "conventional" programs) as
> more focused on mindmapping. There the interface and the drawing are
> more focused on having all well tied together, since that's what
> makes a drawing a real mindmap with everything related.
>
> That said, I'm using none of them, since I like much more the way
> that Freemind behaves. This is a different way of doing a mindmap,
> since you focus much less in positioning everything or drawing
> graphical elements. You just focus on taking notes of everything in
> a structured way. And since it supports folding (a complete must
> have for me, but kind of impossible to implement with other tools),
> it's quite convenient for making summaries or to-do lists. It's only
> problem is that is written in Java, so is slow and heavy, and it's
> UI is a little bit ugly (the keybindings are quite nice, tough).
>
> Greetings.

Thank you Alexandro for considering my questions and your quite
extensive review of several mindmapping tools, some of which I have
never heard about.

Valerio