-   -   KOffice 2.2.0 available for general consumption (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/376602-koffice-2-2-0-available-general-consumption.html)

Ana Guerrero 05-26-2010 02:14 PM

KOffice 2.2.0 available for general consumption

KOffice 2.2.0 is available for amd64 & i386 from the semi-official repository
at: http://qt-kde.debian.net/

These packages will arrive to the official archive soon, but since I need to get
some time to update the copyright file and they include new debs (kformula
shape and kexi), they need to go thru NEW queue and it might take a couple of weeks.

It is still to be decided if KOffice 2.2.0 will make it into Squeeze, I am
currently inclined to do so. However, it is not yet fully decided and I would
love some well argumented feedback. Take into consideration some apps are more
mature than others.

Some notes and advise:
- You have the instructions in how to use those repositories in the mentioned page,
please follow them.
- The packages are for KDE 4.4.3
- If you do not understand very well how to install packages from no official
repositories and you do not want to break your system, do not use them.

Reporting bugs
a bug, miss a feature or have a wishlist, please file a report in the KDE bugzilla:
https://bugs.kde.org/
Include all the information you can about your system (Debian experimental, KOffice 2.2.0)
and all the details you are able to give.
If you just have a problem and you don't know exactly what it is, send an email
to this list.

In the case of crashes, install the package koffice-dbg to get a backtrace.
Read more at:
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Debugging/How_to_create_useful_crash_reportss

Ana

Martin Steigerwald 05-26-2010 02:54 PM

Am Mittwoch 26 Mai 2010 schrieb Ana Guerrero:
> KOffice 2.2.0 is available for amd64 & i386 from the semi-official
> repository at: http://qt-kde.debian.net/

Great stuff. Saw it already. And now I can have Krita back. I would love to
see this going into Squeeze (not yet a well argumented case, but still an
opinion).

Thanks.

Xavier Brochard 05-28-2010 11:08 AM

Ana Guerrero wrote:
> KOffice 2.2.0 is available for amd64 & i386 from the semi-official
> repository at: http://qt-kde.debian.net/

thanks for that!

> It is still to be decided if KOffice 2.2.0 will make it into Squeeze, I am
> currently inclined to do so. However, it is not yet fully decided and I
> would love some well argumented feedback. Take into consideration some
> apps are more mature than others.

Krita and karbon are ready for end users, other apps not.
Putting all the suite in Squeeze will expose you to a lot of bugs report! By
not putting it, we will see a lot of complaints on this mailing list. The
good thing is that every one can answer on this list.

If it is not too much work, I would suggest to put krita and karbon in
Squeeze and the other packages in another repository when they will be
usable. Then, you will add a line in koffice, karbon and krita packages
description (looks like nobody read READMEs) explaining that.

xavier

Ana Guerrero 05-28-2010 12:24 PM

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 01:08:52PM +0200, Xavier Brochard wrote:
> Krita and karbon are ready for end users, other apps not.
> Putting all the suite in Squeeze will expose you to a lot of bugs report! By
> not putting it, we will see a lot of complaints on this mailing list. The
> good thing is that every one can answer on this list.

I can only stress here (no for you, to all the users): if you do not send
the bug report to upstream adding all the information you can and being
able to provide more information when asked, your posibilities of getting
the bug report fixed are very low.

> If it is not too much work, I would suggest to put krita and karbon in
> Squeeze and the other packages in another repository when they will be
> usable. Then, you will add a line in koffice, karbon and krita packages
> description (looks like nobody read READMEs) explaining that.

No going to happen. KOffice includes a bunch of program with very diferent
public. I have interest in kspread, kword and kivio, but I don't draw (with
or without computer) so my usage and interest in krita and karbon is only
opening them before uploading new version of koffice to make sure they work :)

Currently my opinion is the less mature apps are not in worse shape that the
koffice 1.6 shipped in Lenny, while the more mature apps seems to be superior
to those in Lenny.

More information:

Ana

Xavier Brochard 05-28-2010 10:10 PM

Ana Guerrero wrote:
>> If it is not too much work, I would suggest to put krita and karbon in
>> Squeeze and the other packages in another repository when they will be
>> usable. Then, you will add a line in koffice, karbon and krita packages
>> description (looks like nobody read READMEs) explaining that.
>>

> No going to happen. KOffice includes a bunch of program with very diferent
> public. I have interest in kspread, kword and kivio, but I don't draw
> (with or without computer) so my usage and interest in krita and karbon is
> only opening them before uploading new version of koffice to make sure
> they work :)

I was suggested this to reduce your amount of work ;-)

> Currently my opinion is the less mature apps are not in worse shape that
> the koffice 1.6 shipped in Lenny, while the more mature apps seems to be
> superior to those in Lenny.

May be... I didn't found kspread and kword as usable as the 1.6 version.
While only small features are missing (like better tables for kword), the
user interface is sometimes unusable because some actions are difficult to
do (too difficult for my customers employees! :). But it is true that some
new features are very attractive (shapes, ...)

xavier

kap4lin 05-29-2010 06:07 PM

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org> wrote:

> KOffice 2.2.0 is available for amd64 & i386 from the semi-official repository
> at: http://qt-kde.debian.net/
>
> It is still to be decided if KOffice 2.2.0 will make it into Squeeze, I am
> currently inclined to do so. However, it is not yet fully decided and I would
> love some well argumented feedback. Take into consideration some apps are more
> mature than others.

Out of curiosity, I installed koffice on a spare Virtualbox VM
(Debian/sid - sidux). The VM itself is kept updated.

Both kword and kspread crashed (repeatedly & deterministically) when
trying to open new blank document! Karbon, Krita, Kpresenter at least
opened a blank document.

> In the case of crashes, install the package koffice-dbg to get a backtrace.
> Read more at:
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Debugging/How_to_create_useful_crash_reportss

As I said, it was just out of curiosity. So, apologies! I do not use
koffice and I don't see myself using it in foreseeable future. In
fact, I don't see myself running squeeze either! So, I'll refrain from
this :(

Even if it gets included, I just hope there is a disclaimer, very
easily visible to the end user [*,**], that kword, kspread (and may be
kpresenter) are at best pre-alpha quality softwares! I understand that
a lot of work has gone into krita (and karbon) so it is worth
including koffice just for these.

--
Regards
Kap4Lin

Ana Guerrero 05-29-2010 06:34 PM

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 02:07:58PM -0400, kap4lin wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > KOffice 2.2.0 is available for amd64 & i386 from the semi-official repository
> > at: http://qt-kde.debian.net/
> >
> > It is still to be decided if KOffice 2.2.0 will make it into Squeeze, I am
> > currently inclined to do so. However, it is not yet fully decided and I would
> > love some well argumented feedback. Take into consideration some apps are more
> > mature than others.
>
> Out of curiosity, I installed koffice on a spare Virtualbox VM
> (Debian/sid - sidux). The VM itself is kept updated.
>
> Both kword and kspread crashed (repeatedly & deterministically) when
> trying to open new blank document! Karbon, Krita, Kpresenter at least
> opened a blank document.
>
> > In the case of crashes, install the package koffice-dbg to get a backtrace.
> > Read more at:
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Debugging/How_to_create_useful_crash_reportss
>
> As I said, it was just out of curiosity. So, apologies! I do not use
> koffice and I don't see myself using it in foreseeable future. In
> fact, I don't see myself running squeeze either! So, I'll refrain from
> this :(
>
> Even if it gets included, I just hope there is a disclaimer, very
> easily visible to the end user [*,**], that kword, kspread (and may be
> kpresenter) are at best pre-alpha quality softwares! I understand that
> a lot of work has gone into krita (and karbon) so it is worth
> including koffice just for these.

Sorry but I do not see the point of reporting here it crashes if you do not
try to check what is the problem, it might have been very well a problem in
*your* system or a problem that is easily fixable.
kword, kspread open here a new document without problem, yes they crash from
time to time but not when you open a blank new document. Also, you are using
sidux, AFAIK it should not be very far from Debian unstable but that packages
are for a pure Debian unstable instalation (FWIW, they also fine in my netbook
with testing).

Ana

Martin Steigerwald 05-30-2010 09:50 AM

Am Freitag 28 Mai 2010 schrieb Ana Guerrero:
> Currently my opinion is the less mature apps are not in worse shape
> that the koffice 1.6 shipped in Lenny, while the more mature apps
> seems to be superior to those in Lenny.

From my subjective impression so far I tend to agree with that. KOffice 1.6
apps had their share of problems as well ;).

> More information:

I'd love to help - also with the Basket package. But I am not sure whether
I will manage to take enough time for that.

I suppose the package vcs is somewhere on alioth? I have an guest account
there for maintaining my package fio. I am not sure whether I am
experienced enough for these kind of packages. I guess KOffice and even the
Basket package is more complex than my little fio one. Last there is
harddisk space severely lacking, but I need to do something about it
sooner or later anyway - in the meantime should be possible to get some
space on an external esata hdd.

I am using Krita for some easy tasks from time to time, but not Karbon, at
least not regularily.

Ciao,

Martin Steigerwald 05-30-2010 10:02 AM

Am Samstag 29 Mai 2010 schrieb kap4lin:
> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org> wrote:
> > KOffice 2.2.0 is available for amd64 & i386 from the semi-official
> > repository at: http://qt-kde.debian.net/
> >
> > It is still to be decided if KOffice 2.2.0 will make it into Squeeze,
> > I am currently inclined to do so. However, it is not yet fully
> > decided and I would love some well argumented feedback. Take into
> > consideration some apps are more mature than others.
>
> Out of curiosity, I installed koffice on a spare Virtualbox VM
> (Debian/sid - sidux). The VM itself is kept updated.
>
> Both kword and kspread crashed (repeatedly & deterministically) when
> trying to open new blank document! Karbon, Krita, Kpresenter at least
> opened a blank document.

With 2.2.0 pre packages? I cannot reproduce that here. I am able to open a
new blank document with KWord and load an existing one. Same goes with
KSpread. Fonts look strange tough. Blurred. But no crash in these simple
tests.

Ciao,

Jakub Nowacki 05-30-2010 10:32 AM

KOffice 2.2.0 available for general consumption

First of all thank you very much for your work and packaging KDE for Debian
:-)

I have a question about Koffice semi-offcial repository : is it safe to use it
with testing release? I would like to test Koffice 2.2, but i don't want to
destroy/mess my desktop.

Thanks,
Jakub.