Old 05-26-2010, 10:08 AM
Martin Steigerwald

Default KMail with Akonadi and Nepomuk has lots of potential

Hello!

A minute ago: I am editing a journal entry in Kontact while KMail meant it
might have been a good idea to move 6200 mails of debian-user-german to an
archival mbox - blocking my typing for about a minute completely. And
right while I was typing the previous sentence it continued this game with
13100 mails from debian-devel-changes blocking my input for several
minutes.

This issue is there since introduction of this function. Its also there
with slow mail filters, fortunately crm114 is really fast, and other
operation which take a long time like for example searches. KMail is
completely blocked or almost completely blocked during these.

KMail with Akonadi and Nepomuk has the potential to handle such longer
operation in background. There might have been other ways to achieve it,
but this way, other applications may access mail data as well without
blocking each other and there is a clean separation between mail storage
and mail presentation / handling.

It all depends on how bug free / stable / fast the implementation will be,
but I really want to give it a chance. I am mail power user with *insane*
amounts of mail and folders and I want an infrastructure which handles it.
Zimbra which uses MySQL and a Lucene search index does so quite well for
me work related mail, why shouldn't KMail 2 with Akonadi and Nepomuk be
able to achieve that too?

There might come the day where I will throw swear words at KMail 2,
Akonadi and PIM as I did already with KAdressBook and Akonadi, but when in
the end it I get that infrastructure I want then it might still just worth
it.

Hopefully there will be a comfortable enough way to test out KMail 2 once
its ready for user testing.

Ciao,