Old 05-20-2010, 03:54 AM
Facundo

Default Another cannot login problem, fresh install

Hi,

I did the next:
- debian testing fresh base install
- upgrade to unstable
- install kde-standar kdm...

When I login with kdm, x is restarted in the kde starting splash
screen. I tried with gdm, but it is the same. There is no permissions
problem with the user or with /tmp, etc, folders, it is a fresh
install. The only error message is from syslog, saying "x server for
display :0 terminated unexpectedly". There are no errors in x log and
.xsession-errors is empty. kaboom never appears. I installed kde from
unstable directly, I never ugraded from testing.

Any help?

Thanks

Facundo

Old 05-20-2010, 07:31 AM
Daniel Sutil

Maybe this thread can help you: http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-kde@lists.debian.org/msg30593.html

I resolved my problem applying the solutions of this thread.

But, I have to say that the past sunday I installed a fresh testing kde with no kdm login problem.
Un saludo,

Daniel Sutil

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTinb85ZUfvACAXdr_4M4l8I7egnLZQ2-ch9nhlaU@mail.gmail.com

Old 05-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Facundo Aguilera

El Jueves 20 Mayo 2010 10:13:05 Facundo Aguilera <budinero@gmail.com>
escribió:
> El Jueves 20 Mayo 2010 04:31:38, Daniel Sutil <daniel.sutil@gmail.com>
>
> escribió:
> > Maybe this thread can help you:
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-kde@lists.debian.org/msg30593.html
> >
> > I resolved my problem applying the solutions of this thread.
> >
> > But, I have to say that the past sunday I installed a fresh testing kde
> > with no kdm login problem.
> >
> > Un saludo,
> >
> > Daniel Sutil
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> That thread did not help me. OK, I will try to downgrade...
>
> Gracias.
>
> Facundo.

Mmm... it seems that kde 4.4.3-1 is now in testing.... I can't downgrade.

I don't know what to do. I will try another desktop now...

Old 05-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Facundo Aguilera

El Jueves 20 Mayo 2010 11:34:04 Facundo Aguilera <budinero@gmail.com>
escribió:

> Mmm... it seems that kde 4.4.3-1 is now in testing.... I can't downgrade.
>
> I don't know what to do. I will try another desktop now...

xfce is working. I will keep searching...

Old 05-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Facundo Aguilera

El Jueves 20 Mayo 2010 12:31:05, Daniel Sutil <daniel.sutil@gmail.com>
escribió:
> When I can't login with kdm I simply installed gdm and login in kde without
> problem.
>
> Maybe this is a good workaround for you.
>
> Un saludo,
>
> Daniel Sutil

I tried with gdm.

Now, I did the next
- fresh debian testing base netinstall
- aptitude install kde-standard (only this command)

and I have the same problem. Three weeks ago, I did the same steps with no
problems, so I think it is a 4:4.4.3 packages problem.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Valerio Passini

Alle giovedì 20 maggio 2010, Facundo Aguilera ha scritto:
> El Jueves 20 Mayo 2010 12:31:05, Daniel Sutil
> <daniel.sutil@gmail.com>
>
> escribió:
> > When I can't login with kdm I simply installed gdm and login in kde
> > without problem.
> >
> > Maybe this is a good workaround for you.
> >
> > Un saludo,
> >
> > Daniel Sutil
>
> I tried with gdm.
>
> Now, I did the next
> - fresh debian testing base netinstall
> - aptitude install kde-standard (only this command)
>
> and I have the same problem. Three weeks ago, I did the same steps
> with no problems, so I think it is a 4:4.4.3 packages problem.

My suggestion is that you should stop installing your OS over and over
again for first: it's just a waste of time. If you really want to solve
your problems, post some logs so we can help you. When you do a fresh
install, hundreds of packages are involved and it's quite difficult to
find the culprit. So what you are doing is almost useless.
Probably you will find more saviour advices than mine, but
check the permissions on the files of your /home/directory. If
everything is right, just as a starting point post:
/var/log/kdm.log
/var/log/kdm.log.1 (if kdm.log is empty)
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
We can see if there are any error.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Facundo Aguilera

El Viernes 21 Mayo 2010 05:34:50 Valerio Passini <valerio.passini@unicam.it>
escribió:
> My suggestion is that you should stop installing your OS over and over
> again for first: it's just a waste of time. If you really want to solve
> your problems, post some logs so we can help you. When you do a fresh
> install, hundreds of packages are involved and it's quite difficult to
> find the culprit. So what you are doing is almost useless.
> Probably you will find more saviour advices than mine, but
> check the permissions on the files of your /home/directory. If
> everything is right, just as a starting point post:
> /var/log/kdm.log
> /var/log/kdm.log.1 (if kdm.log is empty)
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> We can see if there are any error.

This is the error in kdm.log

X: main/renderbuffer.c:2067: _mesa_reference_renderbuffer: Assertion `oldRb-
>Magic == 0xaabbccdd' failed.

There is a bug opened, but without solution yet.

I will keep searchig. This is not a kde problem.

Thanks!

Facundo