Old 05-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Dirk Salva

Default How to get kdict or aequivalent in KDE4 / Squeeze?

Hi folks,

a few days ago I've upgraded my Debian from Lenny to Squeeze. My
problem: the beloved kdict with the small input-field in the kicker are
not there anymore. I am missing it:-(
What can I do to get access with such a small input-field to my local
dictd?

ciao, Dirk

Old 05-18-2010, 06:44 AM
cobaco

On Monday 17 May 2010, Dirk Salva wrote:
> a few days ago I've upgraded my Debian from Lenny to Squeeze. My
> problem: the beloved kdict with the small input-field in the kicker are
> not there anymore. I am missing it:-(
> What can I do to get access with such a small input-field to my local
> dictd?

there is a dictionary plasmoid, adding it to your panel should work AFAIK
--
Cheers, Cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)

Old 05-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Dirk Salva

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 08:44:28AM +0200, cobaco wrote:
> On Monday 17 May 2010, Dirk Salva wrote:
> > a few days ago I've upgraded my Debian from Lenny to Squeeze. My
> > problem: the beloved kdict with the small input-field in the kicker are
> > not there anymore. I am missing it:-(
> > What can I do to get access with such a small input-field to my local
> > dictd?
> there is a dictionary plasmoid, adding it to your panel should work AFAIK

How can I get it? Is it a .deb? Does it really work with my local
dictd?

ciao, Dirk

Old 05-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Valerio Passini

Alle martedý 18 maggio 2010, Dirk Salva ha scritto:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 08:44:28AM +0200, cobaco wrote:
> > On Monday 17 May 2010, Dirk Salva wrote:
> > > a few days ago I've upgraded my Debian from Lenny to Squeeze. My
> > > problem: the beloved kdict with the small input-field in the
> > > kicker are not there anymore. I am missing it:-(
> > > What can I do to get access with such a small input-field to my
> > > local dictd?
> >
> > there is a dictionary plasmoid, adding it to your panel should work
> > AFAIK
>
> How can I get it? Is it a .deb? Does it really work with my local
> dictd?
>

> ciao, Dirk

It's already installed as a plasmoid. Click on the cashew -> add items -
> dictionary. You can place it on the desktop/activity or in the
taskbar. I think you must be connected to use it and I don't know if it
supports German or any other language.
Ciao

Valerio

Old 05-19-2010, 08:07 AM
Dirk Salva

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 12:13:24AM +0200, Valerio Passini wrote:
> It's already installed as a plasmoid. Click on the cashew -> add items -
> > dictionary. You can place it on the desktop/activity or in the
> taskbar. I think you must be connected to use it and I don't know if it
> supports German or any other language.

No, it isn't. If it was, I would not ask.

ciao, Dirk

Old 05-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Valerio Passini

Alle mercoledý 19 maggio 2010, Dirk Salva ha scritto:
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 12:13:24AM +0200, Valerio Passini wrote:
> > It's already installed as a plasmoid. Click on the cashew -> add
> > items -
> >
> > > dictionary. You can place it on the desktop/activity or in the
> >
> > taskbar. I think you must be connected to use it and I don't know
> > if it supports German or any other language.
>
> No, it isn't. If it was, I would not ask.
>

> ciao, Dirk

Install plasma-widgets-addons
Ciao

Valerio

Old 05-19-2010, 06:43 PM
jedd

On Monday 17 May 2010 18:20:53 Dirk Salva wrote:
> a few days ago I've upgraded my Debian from Lenny to Squeeze. My
> problem: the beloved kdict with the small input-field in the kicker are
> not there anymore. I am missing it:-(

Hi Dirk,

If you find the plasmoid a bit cumbersome (I'm so used to typing
alt-f2, kdict ... rather than showing desktop, mouse-clicking into
something, then .. etc etc) I can advise that the 3.5.10 version
of kdict works just fine in my unstable / experimental KDE. It
doesn't even have cause any complaints with apt, which is nice.

Just download the kdict package for your platform from your local
repository and install it with dpkg.

Jedd.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Dirk Salva

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 07:43:26PM +0100, jedd wrote:
> Just download the kdict package for your platform from your local
> repository and install it with dpkg.

Thank you, that would be one opinion, but I wish an application in the
kicker.

ciao, Dirk

Old 05-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Dirk Salva

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 11:40:22AM +0200, Valerio Passini wrote:
> Install plasma-widgets-addons

Thx!

ciao, Dirk

Old 05-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

On tre─Źiadienis 19 Gegu┼ż─Ś 2010 22:38:04 Dirk Salva wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 07:43:26PM +0100, jedd wrote:
> > Just download the kdict package for your platform from your local
> > repository and install it with dpkg.
>
> Thank you, that would be one opinion, but I wish an application in the
> kicker.

Just FYI, there is no kicker in KDE 4. The closest equivalent to it is Plasma
panel widget. But contrary to KDE 3 design, you may place plasma widget
anywhere on your desktop including panel.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>