Old 05-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Dirk Salva

Default How to get kdict or aequivalent in KDE4 / Squeeze?

Hi,

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 12:04:50AM +0300, Modestas Vainius wrote:
> Just FYI, there is no kicker in KDE 4. The closest equivalent to it is Plasma
> panel widget. But contrary to KDE 3 design, you may place plasma widget
> anywhere on your desktop including panel.

Yes. And that's the reason why I'm trying Gnome at the moment...

ciao, Dirk

Old 05-19-2010, 11:35 PM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

On ketvirtadienis 20 Gegužė 2010 01:17:45 Dirk Salva wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 12:04:50AM +0300, Modestas Vainius wrote:
> > Just FYI, there is no kicker in KDE 4. The closest equivalent to it is
> > Plasma panel widget. But contrary to KDE 3 design, you may place plasma
> > widget anywhere on your desktop including panel.
>
> Yes. And that's the reason why I'm trying Gnome at the moment...

I don't understand why more flexibility in this particular case could be the
reason, but I hope gnome will serve your needs well.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>

Old 05-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Dirk Salva

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 02:35:59AM +0300, Modestas Vainius wrote:
> On ketvirtadienis 20 Geguže 2010 01:17:45 Dirk Salva wrote:
> > On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 12:04:50AM +0300, Modestas Vainius wrote:
> > > Just FYI, there is no kicker in KDE 4. The closest equivalent to it is
> > > Plasma panel widget. But contrary to KDE 3 design, you may place plasma
> > > widget anywhere on your desktop including panel.
> > Yes. And that's the reason why I'm trying Gnome at the moment...
> I don't understand why more flexibility in this particular case could be the
> reason,

That's mostly simple: maybe that there is "more flexibility", but I do
not need and I do not want "more flexibility". Flexibility in my view
is to choose myself what I need and what don't. And not let the
developers choose. And since the last update I must install an
SQL-Server even though I do not need it as I do not need the
funcionality that depends on the database-server.
KDE 3.5... from Lenny worked _perfectly_ for me. I am missing my kdict,
I am missing to "opt-out" the gkrellm's from the task-changer (with
Alt-Tab). And why is KDE4 not able to stretch the 2560x1024-pic over my
two xinerama-screens? I upsets the big picture always to one of the
screens. That's absolutely awful:-(

> but I hope gnome will serve your needs well.
I will try... Perhaps I have to try another desktop-manager, perhaps in
a few years, when the KDE-developers have learned that their opinion is
not compulsively the opinion of the customer, I'll come back to KDE.
But at the moment I am _very_ disappointed from KDE4.

ciao, Dirk

Old 05-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

On ketvirtadienis 20 Gegužė 2010 20:33:40 Dirk Salva wrote:

> not compulsively the opinion of the customer, I'll come back to KDE.
There are no customers here.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>

Old 05-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Dirk Salva

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:14:54PM +0300, Modestas Vainius wrote:
> On ketvirtadienis 20 Geguže 2010 20:33:40 Dirk Salva wrote:
> > not compulsively the opinion of the customer, I'll come back to KDE.
> There are no customers here.

Call them user.

ciao, Dirk

Old 05-20-2010, 09:15 PM
George Kiagiadakis

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:38 PM, Dirk Salva <dsalva@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 07:43:26PM +0100, jedd wrote:
>> *Just download the kdict package for your platform from your local
>> *repository and install it with dpkg.
>
> Thank you, that would be one opinion, but I wish an application in the
> kicker.

Note that the dictionary plasma widget can be put in plasma panels and
popup when you click on it. The only problem is that it doesn't work
with dictd afaik. But, instead of complaining, please file a feature
request at bugs.kde.org. I think it would be cool to have a dictd
backend for this plasma widget.

Regards,
George

Old 05-21-2010, 08:38 AM
Christoph Burgmer

Am Donnerstag, 20. Mai 2010 schrieb George Kiagiadakis:
> Note that the dictionary plasma widget can be put in plasma panels and
> popup when you click on it. The only problem is that it doesn't work
> with dictd afaik. But, instead of complaining, please file a feature
> request at bugs.kde.org. I think it would be cool to have a dictd
> backend for this plasma widget.

The TODO list of this Plasmoid already states that a config dialog is needed
for choosing the dictionary. Now someone just needs to implement that.

-Christoph