-   -   Driver Disk v3 format (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/371167-driver-disk-v3-format.html)

05-13-2010 08:53 PM

Driver Disk v3 format

Does the new driver disk contain only RPMs, like below?

DDv3 structure
--------------
/
|rhdd3 - DD marker, contains the DD's description string
/rpms
| /i386 - contains RPMs for this arch and acts as Yum repo
| /i586
| /x86_64
| /ppc
| /... - any other architecture the DD provides drivers for

Or can we also put put the required files like before?

DDv3 structure
--------------
/
|rhdd3 - DD marker, contains the DD's description string
|modinfo
|modules.alias
|modules.cgz
|modules.dep
|pcitable
/rpms
| /i386 - contains RPMs for this arch and acts as Yum repo
| /i586
| /x86_64
| /ppc
| /... - any other architecture the DD provides drivers for

Could anyone please clarify the new format or give an example?

Thanks

05-14-2010 05:07 PM

Martin Sivak 05-17-2010 08:57 AM

Driver Disk v3 format

Hello,

Yes, the new driverdisc contains only RPM files. The modules (.ko files) are then automatically extracted from those rpms during driver disc loading. After the extraction, depmod is run to regenerate the dependency and pci table files.

The RPMs which should be considered for automatic DD extraction have to have correct Provide: "flag" as is also mentionedd in the docs.

--
Martin Sivk
msivak@redhat.com

Martin Sivak 06-08-2010 07:43 AM

Driver Disk v3 format

Hi,

Yes it does contain only RPM packaged drivers. Stage1 of the installer unpacks properly marked RPMs (Provides: kernel-modules = version) and uses the drivers (looks for *.ko) and firmware (/lib/firmware/*) found inside.

The documentation is accurate and contains all the information needed I hope. Nothing else needs to be done to make the DD work.

Mike Young 01-30-2012 04:47 PM

Driver Disk v3 format

Hi,First of all, I apologize re-opening such an old thread. But while I have found some clarifications on the file system layout for the ddv3 drivers, along with some patches, I have been unable to actually find any real documentation on how to create a ddv3 driver. For example, I see the structure is as follows:> DDv3 structure
> --------------
> /
> |rhdd3 - DD marker, contains the DD's description string
> /rpms
> | /i386 - contains RPMs for this arch and acts as Yum repo
> | /i586
> | /x86_64
> | /ppc
> | /...
But what I don't see is what else it might be looking for. Do I still package these folders into a .iso package?If there's some documentation on this procedure, I'd really appreciate a link to it. The search terms I'm using must be too generic and the only thing that reports anything substantive is ddv3. Unfortunately, everything leads back to this thread.Thanks!
Mike

Martin Sivak 01-31-2012 10:33 AM

Driver Disk v3 format

Hi,

yes this structure describes the layout of data in some container. We do not really care much if it is .iso, fat, ext3, cpio or squashfs if we can mount it.

If you want to use the automatic detection (dlabel) you have to use container which supports labels.

And that's it. Nothing complicated regarding modules.cgz or modules-info like in rhel5 format. You just package the modules as rpms and create a repository for them on some media and using the described structure.

Martin

Mike Young 01-31-2012 11:28 AM

Driver Disk v3 format

Thanks Martin! I'm looking into the dlabel container now. I have one more,
hopefully quick, question regarding the actual RPM: I've been generating
my driver disks via the mod_devel_kit, which did not require the
generation of an RPM previously. Could you tell me the minimum contents
for the RPM (e.g., modinfo, modules.cgz, modules.dep, etc.)? This is for a
storage driver.

My current(mod_devel_kit) images currently generate the following
top-level output:
common_shell
install
license.txt
modinfo
modules.alias
modules.cgz
modules.dep
modules.pcimap
os_version
pci.ids
pcitable
platform
rc-ks.cfg
rc-span-ks.cfg
rhdd
uninstall

Now, from the thread, can I infer that my rhdd file is now a rhdd3 file?
And is it suitable to re-package the remaining contents into the RPM?

Many thanks,

Mike

Martin Sivak 01-31-2012 11:35 AM

Driver Disk v3 format

Hi,

the RPMs contain the stuff you need to be installed in the destination system, so the minimal content is just the .ko file (eg. /lib/modules/<kernel version>/updates/driver.ko). For the RPM to work correctly in anaconda DD environment, you also have to use Provides: kernel-modules >= minimal-kernel-version.

We no longer use modules.cgz and rhdd files. The new format contains /rhdd3 marker file and the structure you saw in the document.

Martin

Mike Young 01-31-2012 12:59 PM

Driver Disk v3 format

Thanks!