Old 05-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Allan Sandfeld Jensen

Default KDE 4.4.3 upgrade eats 141 MB of /home

On Saturday 15 May 2010, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > On Thursday 13 May 2010, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> >> As a KDE4.3 user with 1TB of disk, I'm way more annoyed at
> >> kio_http_cache_cleaner starting regularly and eating my computer's I/O
> >> than the HTTP cache growing big. I can easily notice when the the cache
> >> cleaner is running from the HD light, the HD noise, and the general
> >> system lag.
> >>
> >> There *has* to be a better way to clean an HTTP cache than to stat every
> >> single file in the cache to then delete a tiny fraction of them. Someone
> >> told me 4.4 improved in this area, but I don't know specifics, and
> >> remain skeptical.
> >
> > If stat updates the files' atime, you may get a lot better performance by
> > simply mounting the relevant partition with relatime or noatime (which
> > for some reason is still not default).
>
> After some stracing: It doesn't just stat the files. It first stats, then
> actually opens the files and *reads* the first few bytes of all of them
> (where the HTTP cache information is stored).

Yes, the header contains the http expire date there is no other way to get it.
Though I would have thought it would keep the statistics in memory instead of
rereading it on every cycle. Are you sure that this isn't just on startup?

`Allan

Old 05-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Mittwoch 12 Mai 2010 schrieb Mike Kasick:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 04:51:23PM +0200, Alejandro Exojo wrote:
> > I think that disk usage is an issue in most software, not just KDE
> > apps. For example, look at ~/.thumbnails, and you will see that is
> > probably filled with many thumbnails of images that you deleted long
> > ago or that you saw just once. Same thing for apps that store some
> > data about all files that you open, without limit and without
> > expiration.
>
> I purge .thumbnails occasionally for this reason. I also wasn't happy
> to see my /var/tmp/kdecache-* grow to 400 MBish either, so I regularly
> purge that now on apt-get upgrades. Most recently I saw
> .xsession-errors grow to ~600 MB in just under a few days, so I've
> /dev/nulled that too except for when I need it.

I would run a cron job like this:

martin@shambhala:~> du -sh .thumbnails
434M .thumbnails

martin@shambhala:~> find ~/.thumbnails -atime +30 -type f | wc -l
10030

martin@shambhala:~> find ~/.thumbnails -atime +30 -type f -delete

martin@shambhala:~> du -sh .thumbnails
30M .thumbnails

This way you have the most recently accessed thumbnails at hand while
still reducing the size of the directory by a big margin.

Note: This will not work with noatime ;-). There you could go after mtime
or ctime, but this might delete thumbnails created long before even so
they are still being accessed regularily.

I use relatime here.

Of course, the user should be not be required to create a cronjob for
that, but I have a lot of those already, so i do not mind for now. I use
the handy fcron for it:

martin@shambhala:~> fcrontab -l
17:04:44 listing martin's fcrontab
# Backup der KDE-Konfiguration
@ 2d /usr/bin/rdiff-backup ~/.kde/ ~/Backup/KDE
@ 2m /usr/bin/rdiff-backup --remove-older-than 2M --force ~/Backup/KDE

# Backup der Iceweasel-Konfiguration
@ 2m /usr/bin/rdiff-backup --remove-older-than 2M --force
~/Backup/Iceweasel
@ 2d /usr/bin/rdiff-backup ~/.mozilla/ ~/Backup/Iceweasel

# Spam wegräumen
@ 2d /usr/bin/find ~/.crm114/reaver_cache -type f -and -mtime +1 -delete

# Thumbnails aufräumen, 17.5.2010
@ 10d find ~/.thumbnails -atime +30 -type f -delete

# Statistiken
@ 5d /home/martin/bin/machine-update -m
@ 5d (w ; cat /sys/power/tuxonice/debug_info) | mail -s "TuxOnIce stats"
martin@localhost
@ 1m uprecords | mail -s "Uptime records" martin@localhost

> So yeah, it's a fairly epidemic problem. I probably notice more than
> most because I do daily remote-incremental backups over a DSL line, so
> an incremental backup of a few hundred MB definitely gets noticed.
> Sometimes it's OK, sometimes it's not.

Deactivating all debug output in kdebugdialog has helped here a lot:

martin@shambhala:~> ls -lh .xsession-errors
-rw------- 1 martin martin 3,9M 17. Mai 16:31 .xsession-errors

Just check the checkmark option at the bottom of the window. In case of
debugging a problem, you can activate it again.

I think debugging should be off by default.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Nicolas Alvarez

Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Saturday 15 May 2010, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>> After some stracing: It doesn't just stat the files. It first stats, then
>> actually opens the files and *reads* the first few bytes of all of them
>> (where the HTTP cache information is stored).
>
> Yes, the header contains the http expire date there is no other way to get
> it. Though I would have thought it would keep the statistics in memory
> instead of rereading it on every cycle. Are you sure that this isn't just
> on startup?

In what memory? In KDE 4.3, kio_http_cache_cleaner is not a daemon. It's
started to clean the cache, apparently by kio_http, and it quits when it's
done doing that.

That seems to be exactly what changed in 4.4: it's now a permanent daemon.

--
Nicolas

Old 05-20-2010, 11:02 PM
Nick Leverton

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 05:57:06PM -0300, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:

> > Yes, the header contains the http expire date there is no other way to get
> > it. Though I would have thought it would keep the statistics in memory
> > instead of rereading it on every cycle. Are you sure that this isn't just
> > on startup?
>
> In what memory? In KDE 4.3, kio_http_cache_cleaner is not a daemon. It's
> started to clean the cache, apparently by kio_http, and it quits when it's
> done doing that.
>
> That seems to be exactly what changed in 4.4: it's now a permanent daemon.

Perhaps it should cache the state of the cache ...

Nick