Old 05-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Kevin Krammer

Default What needs to improve in KDE 4?

On Friday, 2010-05-28, Xavier Brochard wrote:
> Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > * On 2010 11 May 15:50 -0500, Marc Haber wrote:

> >> So one is better off by using a completely new accout (and ditching it
> >> afterwards).
> >
> > That will prove rather quickly if the trouble is local or system wide.
> >
> > My regret by moving ~/.local out of the way
>
> You don't have to move out ~/.local, it contains data.
> Akonadi store its configuration files in ~/config and store its data in
> ~/.local/share/Akonadi (plus the mysql.conf file)
> Other folders under ~/.local/share may store data used by Akonadi like
> contacts and local-mail (it depends on your configuration). Most emails are
> still stored in ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail folder.
> You may decide to remove the ~/.local/share/Akonadi folder to rebuild the
> database, but you don't need to.
> Neither one need to move the entire ~/.kde tree (in most testing case),
> just change ~/.kde/share/config

When referring to ~/.config or ~/.local/share one should keep in mind that
these are locations specified in the freedesktop.org "base dirs" spec, so
other applications are likely to use them as well.

It is also basically the reason Akonadi things are there because it is a non-
KDE program and can't easily detect KDE's local prefix.

Cheers,
Kevin

Old 05-30-2010, 01:05 AM
Nicolas Alvarez

Xavier Brochard wrote:
> cobaco wrote:
>
>> On Monday 10 May 2010, Valentin Pavlyuchenko wrote:
>>> Well, I have an issue that remained on my Debian system from KDE 4.3
>>> or even 4.2 (And I have it now in 4.4).
>>> It's a krunner freeze when typing (usually I got it when I mistype
>>> something). If I'm not alone, then it's definitely the bug that must be
>>> solved.
>>
>> probably an issue with one of the krunner plugins, had a similar issue in
>> 4.3 till I disabled the one causing the problem (was a known bug in kde
>> bug tracking, but don't quite remember which one it was), try disabling
>> the plugins you don't need (in the alt+d2 dialog click the wrench and
>> disable the checkmarks before the ones you don't need)
>
> One should add this in the kde faq!

Is there an up-to-date KDE FAQ?

The one that comes packaged and shown in KInfoCenter is ancient. It doesn't
mention Plasma anywhere, explains how to configure aRTs, says Qt doesn't
support GIF for patent reasons...

Strangely, the introduction says the latest stable version is 4.2.1, which
shows it did get updated some time in the past five years. Of course that's
still out of date (I have KDE 4.4), but I thought it'd mention 3.5...

--
Nicolas