Old 05-10-2010, 01:53 AM
Leonardo Meira

Default Problem with ALC662 Intel HDA

Hello everybody,

have a problem with my sound card (nVidia Corporation MCP67 High
Definition Audio | ALC662 High Definition Audio) and I would like you
to indicate the best location and the best way for me to report the
bug that I will describe:

After a fresh installation and setup
of alsa, I only have sound in one of two outputs and the microphone
does not work. After reading a lot of documentation about the subject, I
found that inserting the line "options snd-hda-intel model =
3stack 6ch-index = 0" in alsa-base.conf file I can make my sound card
work better, but with some problems, which are:

a) If I select the
6-channel mode (in kmix or alsa-mixer), the two sound outputs work
but the microphone do not work.
b) If I select the 2-channel mode
(in kmix or alsa-mixer), the microphone works but only one sound
output works.

You do not agree with me that this is a bug?
I've been experiencing it in different distributions and several
versions of the Linux kernel. As in several versions of ALSA.

Before
you ask me, yes, I've tried all the options associated with ALC662
codec
(http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt)
and the option mentioned above was that worked best.

I am a novice user of
Linux. So I ask you for help. How could I help solve this problem?
What is the right place to report this bug?

Thanks,

Motherboard: ASUS M2N68-AM SE
Debian
Lenny
Squeeze Debian / Sid

Old 05-10-2010, 09:28 AM
deloptes

Leonardo Meira wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I have a problem with my sound card (nVidia Corporation MCP67 High
> Definition Audio | ALC662 High Definition Audio) and I would like you to
> indicate the best location and the best way for me to report the bug that
> I will describe:
>
> After a fresh installation and setup of alsa, I only have sound in one of
> two outputs and the microphone does not work. After reading a lot of
> documentation about the subject, I found that inserting the line "options
> snd-hda-intel model = 3stack 6ch-index = 0" in alsa-base.conf file I can
> make my sound card work better, but with some problems, which are:
>
> a) If I select the 6-channel mode (in kmix or alsa-mixer), the two sound
> outputs work but the microphone do not work.
> b) If I select the 2-channel mode (in kmix or alsa-mixer), the microphone
> works but only one sound output works.
>
> You do not agree with me that this is a bug? I've been experiencing it in
> different distributions and several versions of the Linux kernel. As in
> several versions of ALSA.
>
> Before you ask me, yes, I've tried all the options associated with ALC662
> codec (

http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt)
> and the option mentioned above was that worked best.
>

> I am a novice user of Linux. So I ask you for help. How could I help
> solve
> this problem? What is the right place to report this bug?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Motherboard: ASUS M2N68-AM SE
> Debian Lenny
> Squeeze Debian / Sid

may be this will help you

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt

ALC662/663/272
==============
3stack-dig 3-stack (2-channel) with SPDIF
3stack-6ch 3-stack (6-channel)
3stack-6ch-dig 3-stack (6-channel) with SPDIF
6stack-dig 6-stack with SPDIF
lenovo-101e Lenovo laptop
eeepc-p701 ASUS Eeepc P701
eeepc-ep20 ASUS Eeepc EP20
ecs ECS/Foxconn mobo
m51va ASUS M51VA
g71v ASUS G71V
h13 ASUS H13
g50v ASUS G50V
asus-mode1 ASUS
asus-mode2 ASUS
asus-mode3 ASUS
asus-mode4 ASUS
asus-mode5 ASUS
asus-mode6 ASUS
dell Dell with ALC272
dell-zm1 Dell ZM1 with ALC272
samsung-nc10 Samsung NC10 mini notebook
auto auto-config reading BIOS (default)

read also /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio.txt

There is also excelent ALSA documentation in their project page.

write also in feature how you are testing things (which programs) and
possibly supply log information.

i.e.
arecord -L
and
aplay -L
and
amixer
output

regards

Old 05-10-2010, 09:28 AM
deloptes

Old 05-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Valerio Passini

Alle luned́ 10 maggio 2010, Leonardo Meira ha scritto:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have a problem with my sound card (nVidia Corporation MCP67 High
> Definition Audio | ALC662 High Definition Audio) and I would like you
> to indicate the best location and the best way for me to report the
> bug that I will describe:
>
> After a fresh installation and setup of alsa, I only have sound in
> one of two outputs and the microphone does not work. After reading a
> lot of documentation about the subject, I found that inserting the
> line "options snd-hda-intel model = 3stack 6ch-index = 0" in
> alsa-base.conf file I can make my sound card work better, but with
> some problems, which are:
>
> a) If I select the 6-channel mode (in kmix or alsa-mixer), the two
> sound outputs work but the microphone do not work.
> b) If I select the 2-channel mode (in kmix or alsa-mixer), the
> microphone works but only one sound output works.
>
> You do not agree with me that this is a bug? I've been experiencing
> it in different distributions and several versions of the Linux
> kernel. As in several versions of ALSA.
>
> Before you ask me, yes, I've tried all the options associated with
> ALC662 codec (
> http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Mode
> ls.txt) and the option mentioned above was that worked best.
>

> I am a novice user of Linux. So I ask you for help. How could I help
> solve this problem? What is the right place to report this bug?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Motherboard: ASUS M2N68-AM SE
> Debian Lenny
> Squeeze Debian / Sid

Hi Leonard,

Once I had a similar problem with a different brand (realtek) of the
same chipset managed by the very same driver. I tried to change the
options as you did, but the perfect solution came only after a few
months of work upstream. Maybe, that your chipset is not fully supported
at the moment.
That said, the thread you started is off-topic here considering this is
a KDE/Debian mailing list. In fact, from your description of the issue
you got, probably it is alsa related (you told that the problem is the
same with kmix and alsamixer) and for this reason hardly you will get
any help for your problem here.
Bye

Valerio