Old 05-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Nate Bargmann

Default KDE unable to play complete K3B .wav files

Here is an oddity I've noticed for a while. When K3B finishes buring a
CD it plays a sound file, k3b_success1.wav, which is a trumpet of several
seconds. Lately I've only heard the first note or two. After a bit of
checking here is what I've found:

In System Settings configure notification (also from the same menu in
configure K3B) only the first note is played.

In Dolphin clicking on k3b_success1.wav launches gnome-mplayer and the
entire file is played.

Also in Dolphin with k3b_success1.wav highlighted clicking the play
button in the far right hand pane plays the first three notes.

In Audacity, k3b_success1.wav plays in its entirety. Looking at the
waveform shows no reason to why it should be truncated by KDE.

As an experiment I converted the three .wav files included with the
k3b-data~all.deb package to .ogg format (which match the KDE files
included in /usr/share/shounds) and they play fine. I am running an up
to date Sid installation with K3B 1.91.0-rc2-1 and KDE 4.4.

- Nate >>

Old 05-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Diederik de Haas

On 2010-05-08 Nate Bargmann wrote:
> In System Settings configure notification (also from the same menu in
> configure K3B) only the first note is played.

Tried it from K3b and I can confirm your findings

> In Dolphin clicking on k3b_success1.wav launches gnome-mplayer and the
> entire file is played.

Same here, although I've played it with both Amarok as smplayer

> Also in Dolphin with k3b_success1.wav highlighted clicking the play
> button in the far right hand pane plays the first three notes.

Same here.

> Here is an oddity I've noticed

It sure is odd.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:34 AM
Nate Bargmann

* On 2010 08 May 09:10 -0500, Diederik de Haas wrote:
> On 2010-05-08 Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > In System Settings configure notification (also from the same menu in
> > configure K3B) only the first note is played.
>
> Tried it from K3b and I can confirm your findings
>
> > In Dolphin clicking on k3b_success1.wav launches gnome-mplayer and the
> > entire file is played.
>
> Same here, although I've played it with both Amarok as smplayer
>
> > Also in Dolphin with k3b_success1.wav highlighted clicking the play
> > button in the far right hand pane plays the first three notes.
>
> Same here.
>
> > Here is an oddity I've noticed
>
> It sure is odd.

Thanks for the confirmation, Diederik. I wonder which package to file a
bug report against? The k3b package may in fact be easiest to request
that the sound files be packaged in .ogg format, but that only masks
that fact that something in the KDE sound stack is having an issue with
.wav files.

My system is configured to use the Phonon Xine Backend in Sound and Video
Configuration. Could that be the culprit and how can we test?

- Nate >>

Old 05-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Ismael Bejarano

Hi,

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 11:34 PM, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> wrote:
> * On 2010 08 May 09:10 -0500, Diederik de Haas wrote:
>> On 2010-05-08 Nate Bargmann wrote:
>> > In System Settings configure notification (also from the same menu in
>> > configure K3B) only the first note is played.
>>
>> Tried it from K3b and I can confirm your findings
>>
>> > In Dolphin clicking on k3b_success1.wav launches gnome-mplayer and the
>> > entire file is played.
>>
>> Same here, although I've played it with both Amarok as smplayer
>>
>> > Also in Dolphin with k3b_success1.wav highlighted clicking the play
>> > button in the far right hand pane plays the first three notes.
>>
>> Same here.
>>
>> > Here is an oddity I've noticed
>>
>> It sure is odd.
>
> Thanks for the confirmation, Diederik. *I wonder which package to file a
> bug report against? *The k3b package may in fact be easiest to request
> that the sound files be packaged in .ogg format, but that only masks
> that fact that something in the KDE sound stack is having an issue with
> .wav files.
>
> My system is configured to use the Phonon Xine Backend in Sound and Video
> Configuration. *Could that be the culprit and how can we test?
>
> - Nate >>
>
> --
>
> "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
> possible worlds. *The pessimist fears this is true."
>
> Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://n0nb.us/index.html

Triying with dragonplayer it also fails with xine backend, amarok and
kaffeine on the other hand play it complete.

Switched to gstreamer backend and DragonPlayer played it successfully.

I think you may have to file two separate bugreports: one to k3b
suggesting as a new feature to use ogg files instead of wavs; and a
separate to phonon indicating to xine backend fails to play k3b's
files.

But since it does play ok with amarok (which also uses phonon)
probably will be nice to ask this question to a phonon developer,
maybe that the issue is in k3b and dragonplayer.

Cheers,
Ismael