Old 05-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Diederik de Haas

Default Best way to install kde-standard

Hello,

Yesterday I did a fresh install of kde-standard on my laptop (using d-i alpha-1, expert install,
sid, so KDE 4.4.3, filesystem ext4), but I didn't get the result I hoped for.
I believe that the recommended packages are the key.

Since I did it in a 'custom' way, I'll explain each step I did.
First I installed the base system with d-i selecting the laptop task and the base-system-utilities.
d-i now installs recommended packages too, since that's the (new) default.

Since I've seen (in the past) a whole lot of IMO bogus packages getting installed when recommended
packages are also installed, one of the first things I do after a base install of the system is to
instruct apt not to install recommended packages (APT::Install-Recommends "0"; in
/etc/apt/apt.conf).

After that I installed kde-standard with the following command:
"aptitude install kde-standard kdm xserver-xorg virtuoso-minimal"

After rebooting and logging into KDE I noticed the following things:
- When plugging in a usb device, device-notifier didn't notice anything and the only way to access
that usb device was to use mount it from Konsole
- The battery monitor didn't work at all
- I did not have a suspend to disk/ram option
- System Monitor - Harddisk didn't see any partitions

I didn't do further testing, since this was already not what I wanted.

Since I wanted to figure out what was left out because of not installing recommended packages, I ran
the following commands on a freshly installed base system, without disabling recommends.
The outputs are in the attachment.
"aptitude -s -y install kde-standard"
"aptitude -s -y install --without-recommends kde-standard"
"aptitude -s -y install kde-standard network-manager-kde=" (since I don't like/want network-manager)

The difference in --with-recommends and --without-recommends are so big wrt kde-standard that I think
kde-standard should be installed with the recommended packages.
But leaving out network-manager-kde seems to also not install some packages which may have
contributed to the problems described above. On first inspection libgudev-1.0-0 and
libknotificationitem-1-1 seem especially relevant.

So I would like to know how other ppl are installing kde(-standard) without bloating their system,
but with a properly functional one.
Tips/tricks/etc are also welcome.

Regards,
Diederik

Old 05-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Diederik de Haas

I went ahead and tried to get kde-standard in the following way:
"aptitude install kde-plasma-desktop"
"aptitude install --without-recommends kde-standard"

Here are my findings:

On 2010-05-08 Diederik de Haas wrote:
> After rebooting and logging into KDE I noticed the following things:
> - When plugging in a usb device, device-notifier didn't notice anything and
> the only way to access that usb device was to use mount it from Konsole
> - The battery monitor didn't work at all
> - I did not have a suspend to disk/ram option
> - System Monitor - Harddisk didn't see any partitions

Device notifier works as expected, battery monitor works, suspend to disk/ram is not only available,
but even working :-) system monitor - harddisk picks up my / and /home just as expected.

> The difference in --with-recommends and --without-recommends are so big wrt
> kde-standard that I think kde-standard should be installed with the
> recommended packages.
> But leaving out network-manager-kde seems to also not install some packages
> which may have contributed to the problems described above. On first
> inspection libgudev-1.0-0 and libknotificationitem-1-1 seem especially
> relevant.

Since all previous reported issues work now, network-manager-kde is not needed, nor it's
dependencies.

> So I would like to know how other ppl are installing kde(-standard) without
> bloating their system, but with a properly functional one.
> Tips/tricks/etc are also welcome.

Although I fixed the issues I had, I'm still interested, especially ppls experience with recommended
packages.

Regards,
Diederik

Old 05-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Diederik de Haas

On 2010-05-08 Diederik de Haas wrote:
> suspend to disk/ram is not only available, but even working :-)
Apparently cheered to early.
While suspending to disk seemed to work, when trying to resume the screen stays black.

Suggestions?

Since the noveau driver didn't seem capable of rendering kde/kdm properly I installed the nvidia
drivers (the debian way).

Old 05-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-05-08 17:12 +0200, Diederik de Haas wrote:

> On 2010-05-08 Diederik de Haas wrote:
>> suspend to disk/ram is not only available, but even working :-)
> Apparently cheered to early.
> While suspending to disk seemed to work, when trying to resume the screen stays black.
>
> Suggestions?

File a bug report.

> Since the noveau driver didn't seem capable of rendering kde/kdm properly I installed the nvidia
> drivers (the debian way).

Does hibernating work with the nvidia driver? BTW, nouveau should work
fine if you disable desktop effects.

Sven

Old 05-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

On šeštadienis 08 Gegužė 2010 18:03:15 Diederik de Haas wrote:
> > After rebooting and logging into KDE I noticed the following things:
> > - When plugging in a usb device, device-notifier didn't notice anything
> > and the only way to access that usb device was to use mount it from
> > Konsole - The battery monitor didn't work at all
> > - I did not have a suspend to disk/ram option

This is due to missing hal. hal has been added as a dependency to kde-standard
as of 5:59.

> > - System Monitor - Harddisk didn't see any partitions

Might be due to missing ksysguardd. Yet 4.4 packages should pull it in.

> > But leaving out network-manager-kde seems to also not install some
> > packages which may have contributed to the problems described above. On
> > first inspection libgudev-1.0-0 and libknotificationitem-1-1 seem
> > especially relevant.

libknotificationitem-1-1 is obsolete as of KDE SC 4.4. The goal is to get rid
of it.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>

Old 05-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Diederik de Haas

On 2010-05-08 Sven Joachim wrote:
> > Suggestions?
>
> File a bug report.

I first want to know if I'm the only one and/or try to find the cause of the issue before filing a bug
report.
But I'll start a separate thread for it.

> > Since the noveau driver didn't seem capable of rendering kde/kdm properly
> > I installed the nvidia drivers (the debian way).
>
> Does hibernating work with the nvidia driver? BTW, nouveau should work
> fine if you disable desktop effects.

Nope, hibernating does not work with the nvidia driver, but I didn't/couldn't test it with the
nouveau driver, since I couldn't get a login screen to begin with and Ctl+Alt+F1 didn't respond
either, so it was unusable for me.
Had to do Ctl+Alt+SysRq+(REISUB) and boot into single user mode to get my system working again.

Desktop effects seems to be disabled by default on laptops, so that's probably not it.

Diederik