Old 05-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Adrian von Bidder

Default Is it just me or is this a Debian list?

Heyho!

Yes, KDE 4 is not was KDE 3 was. It is different. This can be discussed
and there probably is no "right" answer.

But my impression is that this list is about packaging KDE for Debian and
not about developing Debian. There are KDE mailing lists for discussions
about KDE.

I'm mostly lurking here, but I'm just wondering. The discussion if Debian
could ship KDE 3 for squeeze was on topic at the beginning (but the question
has been answered by the KDE packagers several times already, so unless
substantial manpower shows up suddenly, please, can we let it go now?)

Discussions about reproducing KDE bugs are probably appropriate as well
since some of the bugs might be specific to Debian. And at least it's a
technical discussion and gets some much needed QA work done.

Discussions about Kmyrandomprogram needing whizbangfeaturelib are just not
appropriate for this list. Restating the same opinions repeatedly in
increasingly angry/annoyed tone is not helpful. Take it up with the KDE
folks, and even if some of the KDE folks are also Debian folks: take it to
the KDE discussion space (be it lists, forums, blogs, I don't care.)

(And: my C++ skills suck and I can't devote as much time as I wished to it.
So my kmail still doesn't have sane "Ignore thread" behaviour. Which is
probably one of the reasons I'm writing this rant as I otherwise wouldn't
have noticed that the discussions I'm talking about are still going on...
No, Sune, not much hope I'll become KDE upstream anytime soon :-)

And just so this email is not a rant only: thanks to Modestas, Sune, Ana,
Dotan and all the others who're doing a huge job and (together with the
Kernel team and the oo.org crew) have brought Debian from a "has the before-
last version in unstable, if that" distribution back to where I can use the
newest and greatest if I want to and at the same time have a stable and
supported environment if I need it.

cheers
-- vbi

--
This bug is quite subtle and only happens in a very interesting
situation where a real-time threaded process is in the middle of a

Old 05-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Adrian von Bidder

On Friday 07 May 2010 20.39:19 Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> But my impression is that this list is about packaging KDE for Debian
> and not about developing Debian.

... KDE.

Obviously.

Grr.

--
featured product: Signify v1.14 - http://www.debian.org/

Old 05-07-2010, 06:49 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Friday 07 May 2010 13:39:19 Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> So my kmail still doesn't have sane "Ignore thread" behaviour.

Right-click message -> "Mark Thread" -> "Ignore Thread" doesn't work for you?
Or is that not "sane" behavior? I don't really use that feature.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 05-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

On penktadienis 07 Gegužė 2010 21:39:19 Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> Heyho!
>
> Yes, KDE 4 is not was KDE 3 was. It is different. This can be discussed
> and there probably is no "right" answer.
>
> But my impression is that this list is about packaging KDE for Debian and
> not about developing Debian. There are KDE mailing lists for discussions
> about KDE.

No, this list is for support of Debian KDE users.

> Discussions about reproducing KDE bugs are probably appropriate as well
> since some of the bugs might be specific to Debian. And at least it's a
> technical discussion and gets some much needed QA work done.

Of course they are appropriate. KDE users are subscribed to this and who else
if not could try reproducing bugs?

> Discussions about Kmyrandomprogram needing whizbangfeaturelib are just not
> appropriate for this list. Restating the same opinions repeatedly in
> increasingly angry/annoyed tone is not helpful. Take it up with the KDE
> folks, and even if some of the KDE folks are also Debian folks: take it to
> the KDE discussion space (be it lists, forums, blogs, I don't care.)

Well, the discussions what about whether feature X which is somewhat
"complete" could be included in Debian. The idea was not wrong by itself, but
whether the discussion ended up to be constructive is another question.

> (And: my C++ skills suck and I can't devote as much time as I wished to it.
> So my kmail still doesn't have sane "Ignore thread" behaviour. Which is
> probably one of the reasons I'm writing this rant as I otherwise wouldn't
> have noticed that the discussions I'm talking about are still going on...
> No, Sune, not much hope I'll become KDE upstream anytime soon :-)

That's an example what you write to bugs.kde.org, not this list. We do not
implement features.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>

Old 05-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Sune Vuorela

On 2010-05-07, Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu> wrote:
> On penktadienis 07 Gegu=C5=BE=C4=97 2010 21:39:19 Adrian von Bidder wrote:
>> (And: my C++ skills suck and I can't devote as much time as I wished to i=
> t.
>> So my kmail still doesn't have sane "Ignore thread" behaviour. Which is
>> probably one of the reasons I'm writing this rant as I otherwise wouldn't
>> have noticed that the discussions I'm talking about are still going on...
>> No, Sune, not much hope I'll become KDE upstream anytime soon :-)
>
> That's an example what you write to bugs.kde.org, not this list. We do not=
> implement features.

Adrian has actually been trying to work with upstream on making sure to
fix this issue. I don't know if he is succeeding or not.

/Sune

Old 05-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Adrian von Bidder

Heyho!

On Friday 07 May 2010 21.55:40 Modestas Vainius wrote:

> No, this list is for support of Debian KDE users.

Ok, my mistake. What's on-topic and off-topic obviously changes then.
> The idea was not wrong by itself,
> but whether the discussion ended up to be constructive is another
> question.

I'd probably use a bit less careful language, but yes, that's why I wrote.

[... kmail bug ...]

> That's an example what you write to bugs.kde.org, not this list. We do
> not implement features.

Sune got my reference :-)

cheers
-- vbi

--
Don't ask about sysfs. It's a Heisenberg system: attempting to document
it changes the next release.