FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian KDE

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-07-2010, 07:36 AM
Luis Felipe Tabera
 
Default kde SC 4.4

Regarding all the discussion concerning kde 4.4 I would like just to say that
I am happy with it. I can understand people liking kde3 and I suffered kde 4.0
4.1 in other distros.

However, I am happy with kde 4.4. In fact i tried to use kde 3 again some time
ago and I missed some features and realize that kde3 was not more suitable for
me. It is true that my way of working changed a bit, but this would be also
true if I had changed to gnome, xfce and company.

Regarding bugs, I am only concerned with bugs that where already presented in
kde3 (search folders in kmail are just broken) or bug #193514 in bugs.kde.org

So, I just wanted to point wout the there are users that do not care of eye
candy and that are very happy with kde SC 4.x on a daily use and with the work
of the debian kde-team.

Luis


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201005070936.04140.lftabera@yahoo.es">http://lists.debian.org/201005070936.04140.lftabera@yahoo.es
 
Old 05-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Nate Bargmann
 
Default kde SC 4.4

I am avaluating KDE 4.4 as I updated this main desktop machine last
night. So far, so good. As I was getting some weird behavior for the
past several weeks so I moved ~/.kde out of the way after the upgrade
and before starting KDE 4.4. So far, so good.

I am still annoyed by the lack of a native Konsole beep and Device
Notifier, while much improved, still lacks a way to simply mount
removable media without having to run Dolphin (I mostly use Midnight
Commander and I use a DE to ease working with removable media). I also
think that setting a different wallpaper for each desktop could be more
intuitive than having to enable desktop activities in the Settings
Manager, then zoom out with the cashew, then set the wallpaper via
right-click menu from each desktop, and find out it's a craps shoot
which desktop has which wallpaper. But those are nits I've noticed
so far and are fixable.

Dotan, if you'd like more input from me, please ask.

Otherwise, 4.4 is working well for me as far as I tried various things
over the course of a couple of hours so I think I'll stick around. ;-)

- Nate >>

--

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true."

Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://n0nb.us/index.html


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100507113803.GA2655@n0nb.us">http://lists.debian.org/20100507113803.GA2655@n0nb.us
 
Old 05-07-2010, 12:15 PM
cobaco
 
Default kde SC 4.4

On Friday 07 May 2010, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> Device Notifier, while much improved, still lacks a way to simply mount
> removable media without having to run Dolphin

click device notifier plasmoid, ups pops the list with devices present,
mouseover device you want to mount, click the icon on the right to mount the
device?

Am I misunderstanding what you're asking for? Because that feature seems to
be working just fine here, used it to update the map on the mini-sd card
from my gps just last week
--
Cheers, Cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)
 
Old 05-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Nate Bargmann
 
Default kde SC 4.4

* On 2010 07 May 07:17 -0500, cobaco wrote:
> On Friday 07 May 2010, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > Device Notifier, while much improved, still lacks a way to simply mount
> > removable media without having to run Dolphin
>
> click device notifier plasmoid, ups pops the list with devices present,
> mouseover device you want to mount, click the icon on the right to mount the
> device?

Well, I'll be. I missed that last night (it was late, I was tired,
heh).

> Am I misunderstanding what you're asking for? Because that feature seems to
> be working just fine here, used it to update the map on the mini-sd card
> from my gps just last week

That is exactly was I've been looking for! Thank you so much, Cobaco.

Okay, that's one less annoyance. Next!

- Nate >>

--

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true."

Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://n0nb.us/index.html


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100507174528.GB2655@n0nb.us">http://lists.debian.org/20100507174528.GB2655@n0nb.us
 
Old 05-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Martin Steigerwald
 
Default kde SC 4.4

Hi Nate,

Am Freitag 07 Mai 2010 schrieb Nate Bargmann:
> I also
> think that setting a different wallpaper for each desktop could be more
> intuitive than having to enable desktop activities in the Settings
> Manager, then zoom out with the cashew, then set the wallpaper via
> right-click menu from each desktop, and find out it's a craps shoot
> which desktop has which wallpaper. But those are nits I've noticed
> so far and are fixable.

The activities system upto to KDE 4.4 IMHO is quite broken. Activity
selection is slow, it forgets which activity is mapped to which desktop
from time to time and and and... I reported about 10 bugs just regarding
that activity system in KDE's bugtracker, of which a user named Beat Wolf
marked most invalid in the last days cause this stuff gets completely
rewritten in KDE 4.5. In KDE 4.5 there will be a new activity system
sporting Nepomuk and whatnot, I think there has been a blog post, maybe by
Aaron Seigo on Planet KDE.I agree rewriting the stuff is one of the better
things you can do with it ;-). Let's see what comes out of it.

--
Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7
 
Old 05-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Thomas Olsen
 
Default kde SC 4.4

On Friday 07 May 2010 19:45:28 Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * On 2010 07 May 07:17 -0500, cobaco wrote:
> > On Friday 07 May 2010, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > > Device Notifier, while much improved, still lacks a way to simply mount
> > > removable media without having to run Dolphin

Thanks. I've never noticed that :-)

--
Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201005080941.19151.tanghus@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201005080941.19151.tanghus@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:22 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org