-   -   KDED4 blocking Weather Applets (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/367054-kded4-blocking-weather-applets.html)

Dominik Schulz 05-06-2010 10:42 AM

KDED4 blocking Weather Applets

Hi,
since this seems to be the time to complain about KDE, I'd like to ask for
help on an old issue: kded4 prevent the plasma weather applets from working.
When I login to my KDE session the weather applets fail to retrieve any data.
I've confirmed with Wireshark/TCPdump that there is no network traffic at that
time. As soon as I kill kded4 the weather applets startk working immedeately.
Is there are another workaround than killing kded4 (since that messes up some
other things in KDE) or, even better, a fix available?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards
Dominik

Martin Steigerwald 05-06-2010 10:51 AM

Am Donnerstag 06 Mai 2010 schrieb Dominik Schulz:
> Hi,

Hi Dominik,

> since this seems to be the time to complain about KDE, I'd like to ask

Although I tend to get into complain mode as well I think we should try to
stay as constructive as possible. ;) Its sometimes not easy tough, when
things don't work and did not get fixed for some time.

> for help on an old issue: kded4 prevent the plasma weather applets
> from working. When I login to my KDE session the weather applets fail
> to retrieve any data. I've confirmed with Wireshark/TCPdump that there
> is no network traffic at that time. As soon as I kill kded4 the
> weather applets startk working immedeately. Is there are another
> workaround than killing kded4 (since that messes up some other things
> in KDE) or, even better, a fix available?

I just gave in to use network manager. I think there is a bug report as
well. Yes, here:

https://bugs.kde.org/232469

Ciao,

Dominik Schulz 05-06-2010 01:03 PM

Am Donnerstag, 6. Mai 2010, 12:51:10 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> I just gave in to use network manager. I think there is a bug report as
> well. Yes, here:
> https://bugs.kde.org/232469

Thanks for that pointer! That's a solution - at least for me.

$> aptitude remove network-manager
-> It works :)

Wo needs this ******* network-manager anyway?

But honestly, how stupid can one be to rely only on the network-manager to
determine if a system is online or not? I thought everyone knew that Mozilla
bug you cited ...

Martin Steigerwald 05-06-2010 02:42 PM

KDED4 blocking Weather Applets

Am Donnerstag 06 Mai 2010 schrieb Dominik Schulz:
> Am Donnerstag, 6. Mai 2010, 12:51:10 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> > I just gave in to use network manager. I think there is a bug report
> > as well. Yes, here:
> > https://bugs.kde.org/232469
>
> Thanks for that pointer! That's a solution - at least for me.
>
> $> aptitude remove network-manager
> -> It works :)
>
> Wo needs this ******* network-manager anyway?
>
> But honestly, how stupid can one be to rely only on the network-manager
> to determine if a system is online or not? I thought everyone knew
> that Mozilla bug you cited ...

Okay, well thats the other solution. I gave in and now use network-manager
on eth0 as well. I kept it installed when I am somewhere with a WLAN.

Actually I am also not that fond of it. If it insists on saying "offline",
when it just doesn't know and it knows that it doesn't know, in my eyes
its just broken.

Sune Vuorela 05-06-2010 05:20 PM

On 2010-05-06, Dominik Schulz <lkml@ds.gauner.org> wrote:
> I've confirmed with Wireshark/TCPdump that there is no network traffic at t=
> hat=20
> time. As soon as I kill kded4 the weather applets startk working immedeatel=
> y.=20
> Is there are another workaround than killing kded4 (since that messes up so=
> me=20
> other things in KDE) or, even better, a fix available?

qdbus org.kde.kded /modules/networkstatus setNetworkStatus "SolidNetwork" 4

- that tells kded to 'assume you are online, even if it to kde looks
like you aren't'

/Sune
- thanks Pino.