Old 05-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Sune Vuorela

Default KDE 4.4.3 in unstable

On 2010-05-07, Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:
> Akonadi. But I thought SQLite would not be suitable for Akonadi. Did=20
> change it seems.

it changed a bit, with akonadi people writing a new sqlite sql driver
for qtsql.
But it did require significant work to make this possible.

>> 1. http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-kde/branches/akonadi-
>> trunk/#_branches_akonadi-trunk_
>
> How would one compile packages out of this? svn co akonadi-trunk from KDE=20
> project, svn checkout above URL and place the debian directory into the=20
> KDE akonadi-trunk checkout?

Yes.

/Sune

Old 05-07-2010, 04:48 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Friday 07 May 2010 05:42:55 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 06 Mai 2010 schrieb Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.:
> > >
> > > Again, AFAIK, kmail does not use Akonadi in KDE 4.4.
> >
> > Have you installed and tried it? I have. It does require Akonadi in
> > KDE 4.4.3.
>
> Again, no. KAddressBook does. And KMail uses KAddressBook for address
> completion.

KMail did not hang during address completion. I composed a reply without
having keyboard focus enter any of the address fields. Once I hit the
"[Send]" button, the UI froze for both the composer and the main (Kontact)
window.

Closing either stalled and then KWin asked if I wanted to forcefully terminate
the application. After doing so, I restarted contact from a shell in order to
watch the various messages printed.

Kontact started normally and my message was in my drafts folder. I opened the
message from there and clicked "[Send]". Again, the UI froze in both the
composer and the main windows. On the console, about once every .5 sec. or
so, an error message was printing indicating that the application could not
connect to the local Akonadi server (or maybe it was that Akonadi couldn't
connect to the local DB).

In either case, KMail 4.4.3 will not send mail unless I have Akonadi and MySQL
installed. I do not have KAddressBook or KOrganizer installed, since even the
versions from testing have a indirect Depends relationship on MySQL.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 05-07-2010, 05:02 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Friday 07 May 2010 04:39:00 Modestas Vainius wrote:
> Initial akonadi trunk packaging is at [1]. I have been using it with SQLite
> for over a month now. Yet I don't use akonadi features extensively (not
> even addressbook or korganizer) so I can't tell much about quality of the
> code. But I can tell you that if you don't step up, this plan probably
> won't make it.
>
> 1. http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-kde/branches/akonadi-
> trunk/#_branches_akonadi-trunk_

Thank you. Since you seem to have SQLite working, I'll focus my efforts on
testing, documentation, and bug fixing on that.

> On penktadienis 07 Gegužė 2010 01:59:39 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > I think that KMail requiring MySQL to function in Debian stable is a
> > problem. I request that the Qt/KDE packaging team take steps to ensure
> > that Debian stable users are not stranded with that situation for the
> > lifetime of stable.
>
> Generally, you need to stop talking and generalizing
> what you don't know (like keep claiming that releasing with different
> versions wasn't considered despite obvious proof on the contrary).

Really? It was rejected out-of-hand when I suggested using KDEPIM 4.3.

Quoting: "Move on. kdepim 4.3 is gone."
Quoting: "KDE 4.4 is the current stable release, there is not much more
options here"

> > I'm not saying to get rid of Akonadi-tied KMail. I'm certainly not
> > saying "Akonadi by itself is a bug". I'd be perfectly happy with
> > Akonadi/PostgreSQL making it into stable, in fact I'd be excited to play
> > with Akonadi!
>
> PostgreSQL/SQLite is a FEATURE, it is not a bug which has to be fixed no
> matter what.

I'm not willing to argue feature vs. bug. Having a KMail with a strong
dependency on MySQL in a Debian stable release would be a problem, IMO. It is
especially onerous likely to only affect KMail from KDE SC 4.4.x and not from
earlier or (if progress continues) later releases.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:31 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Friday 07 May 2010 05:53:57 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Freitag 07 Mai 2010 schrieb Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.:
> > Reverting to KDEPIM 4.3 is an option, as is shipping an Akonadi that
> > doesn't require MySQL. I know KDEPIM 4.3 works in a mostly KDE SC
> > 4.4 environment (that's my current setup). I'll bet that
> > pre-Akonadi-integration KMail could work with the rest of KDEPIM
> > 4.4. There are a lot of ways to address my issue, and I don't demand
> > that you address it at all.
>
> Where did you get that Akonadi from KDEPIM 4.3 does not require MySQL?
> AFAIK thats just not true. Akonadi always *required* MySQL. Maybe it won't
> in KDE 4.5, but until then.

KMail from KDEPIM 4.3 did not require MySQL because it didn't require Akonadi.
KMail from KDEPIM 4.4 does require MySQL because Akonadi form KDE SC 4.4
requires MySQL.
KMail from KDEPIM 4.5 might not require MySQL because Akonadi from KDE SC 4.5
might not require MySQL.

My concern is the KMail -> MySQL relationship. There are quite a few ways to
fix that. I think I'm going to focus my efforts on getting Akonadi/SQLite
ready for a release that is compatible with KDE SC 4.4 but occurs before the
freeze date, as well as documenting how to use it.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Freitag 07 Mai 2010 schrieb Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.:
> On Friday 07 May 2010 05:42:55 Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> > > Have you installed and tried it? I have. It does require Akonadi
> > > in KDE 4.4.3.
> >
> > Again, no. KAddressBook does. And KMail uses KAddressBook for address
> > completion.
>
> KMail did not hang during address completion. I composed a reply
> without having keyboard focus enter any of the address fields. Once I
> hit the "[Send]" button, the UI froze for both the composer and the
> main (Kontact) window.
>
> Closing either stalled and then KWin asked if I wanted to forcefully
> terminate the application. After doing so, I restarted contact from a
> shell in order to watch the various messages printed.
>
> Kontact started normally and my message was in my drafts folder. I
> opened the message from there and clicked "[Send]". Again, the UI
> froze in both the composer and the main windows. On the console,
> about once every .5 sec. or so, an error message was printing
> indicating that the application could not connect to the local Akonadi
> server (or maybe it was that Akonadi couldn't connect to the local
> DB).
>
> In either case, KMail 4.4.3 will not send mail unless I have Akonadi
> and MySQL installed. I do not have KAddressBook or KOrganizer
> installed, since even the versions from testing have a indirect
> Depends relationship on MySQL.

Hmmm, strange. Well maybe KMail does address completion more directly than
via KAddressBook. There might be a component in KDEPIM libs doing that for
KMail. For - just for looking up email address - KMail really calls into
Akonadi.

But AFAIK it doesn't use Akonadi - through what ways ever - for anything
other than retrieving contact data. Thus the use of Akonadi could not be
that wide-spread in KMail.

However, KDEPIM will use Akonadi more and more, so IMHO its better to have
Akonadi improved and fixed than to remove the Akonadi dependency in KMail
temporarily.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Donnerstag 06 Mai 2010 schrieb Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.:
> > However, whether to ship akonadi trunk/beta/final of the next version
> > is another question which is still open. In my opinion, Akonadi
> > itself is
> >
> > pretty mature so it might be doable.
>
> I didn't complain well. This is the true crux of my complaint. I
> don't think stable users want an Akonadi that only supports one
> backend. If nothing else, it makes bugs harder to work around, and I
> find staying with stable generally requires working around a non-RC
> bug or two during its lifetime.
>
> Virtuoso, PostgreSQL, or SQLite -- any one of those as an option would
> satisfy me, and I can't really speak for others.

SQLite or Virtuoso might be interesting to reduce resource footprint.

And it would be nice if Akonadi works via NFS, where at least regarding
the wiki MySQL's inno db tables might be a problem. I asked on kde-pim and
kdepim-users mailing lists. And got quite some feedback. Apparently it
might just work if only one Akonadi is running and the network environment
and nfs servers are stable. Fair enough for now. KMail never worked in
mutiple instances.

And one user pointed out that its possible to use a central MySQL server
with local filesystem for Akonadi stuff.

Well let's see.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

On penktadienis 07 Gegužė 2010 20:02:08 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > On penktadienis 07 Gegužė 2010 01:59:39 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > > I think that KMail requiring MySQL to function in Debian stable is a
> > > problem. I request that the Qt/KDE packaging team take steps to ensure
> > > that Debian stable users are not stranded with that situation for the
> > > lifetime of stable.
> >
> > Generally, you need to stop talking and generalizing
> >
> > what you don't know (like keep claiming that releasing with different
> > versions wasn't considered despite obvious proof on the contrary).
>
> Really? It was rejected out-of-hand when I suggested using KDEPIM 4.3.
>
> Quoting: "Move on. kdepim 4.3 is gone."
> Quoting: "KDE 4.4 is the current stable release, there is not much more
> options here"

It's exactly as you see. Reverting to kdepim 4.3 (because it supposedly does
not need mysqld) is not an option for consideration because "disadvantages"
out-weights advantages way too much. What I meant with "despite obvious proof
on the contrary" is openness to consider akonadi update options which I have
told you in my very first reply. It's good to have volunteer(s) for the job.

> > > I'm not saying to get rid of Akonadi-tied KMail. I'm certainly not
> > > saying "Akonadi by itself is a bug". I'd be perfectly happy with
> > > Akonadi/PostgreSQL making it into stable, in fact I'd be excited to
> > > play with Akonadi!
> >
> > PostgreSQL/SQLite is a FEATURE, it is not a bug which has to be fixed no
> > matter what.
>
> I'm not willing to argue feature vs. bug. Having a KMail with a strong
> dependency on MySQL in a Debian stable release would be a problem, IMO. It
> is especially onerous likely to only affect KMail from KDE SC 4.4.x and
> not from earlier or (if progress continues) later releases.

It is merely an annoyance, not even a bug. And Debian is supposed to give up
bug fixes and enhancements in stable kdepim 4.4.x in order to avoid your pet
annoyance? Kinda selfish. But really, let's just stop here, we won't agree
anyway so let's do something useful rather than argue pointlessly.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>

Old 05-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Diederik de Haas

On 2010-05-06 Diederik de Haas wrote:
> PostgreSQL is apparently capable of providing the proper features and
> Tobias Koenig has made Akonadi working with PostgreSQL since the end of
> last year (http://tokoe-kde.blogspot.com/2009/12/akonadi-
> and-postgresql.html). That patch was committed to trunk at that time, but
> apparently didn't make into SC 4.4 (?).
> So if you want to use PostgreSQL, your best bet would be to port/base that
> patch on 4.4.

I don't want to reinstate this discussion, but I just found sth which I haven't heard/read about
before, which might help you (haven't tried it myself).

I just started the Akonadi Tray utility, then right-clicked on the tray icon and chose Configure...
The second tab, labelled "Akonadi Server Configuration" has a setting for Database driver, which
allows you to choose between MySQL and ... PostgreSQL
With PostgreSQL selected, you can specify your database settings.

Maybe that helps.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:40 PM
David Baron

... and an old bugaboo from the 4.2 days: If plasma takes a long time to come
up for whatever reason, the pager settings get mangled and sometimes the
active desktop as well (one must zoom out and then zoom in on the right one to
restore).