-   -   Processes Run at Nice 19! (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/366114-processes-run-nice-19-a.html)

David Baron 05-04-2010 05:00 PM

Processes Run at Nice 19!

I still have not gotten to the root of this very annoying problem.

In the earliest KDE4 versions, stuff started up at the normal default nice of
0 (priority 20). I had a renice script to get all those akonadi daemons niced
out of the way so kde4 would be usable.

One version (4.2.*) had stuff starting at 0, priority 40 (did not know there
was such an animal) but it played nicely.

After that, it seems, everything of kde4's menus, desktop icons, anything it
spawns is being niced to 19. This renders kde4 unusable. So my renicer script
sets plasma-desktop, kmail and several of the core utilities back to 0 so I
can use it. But this workaround is no answer.

I have no idea why this is going on. Any ideas?

Kevin Krammer 05-06-2010 05:36 PM

Processes Run at Nice 19!

On Tuesday, 2010-05-04, David Baron wrote:
> I still have not gotten to the root of this very annoying problem.
>
> In the earliest KDE4 versions, stuff started up at the normal default nice
> of 0 (priority 20). I had a renice script to get all those akonadi daemons
> niced out of the way so kde4 would be usable.
>
> One version (4.2.*) had stuff starting at 0, priority 40 (did not know
> there was such an animal) but it played nicely.
>
> After that, it seems, everything of kde4's menus, desktop icons, anything
> it spawns is being niced to 19. This renders kde4 unusable. So my renicer
> script sets plasma-desktop, kmail and several of the core utilities back
> to 0 so I can use it. But this workaround is no answer.
>
> I have no idea why this is going on. Any ideas?

The question is what renices the processes in the first place.
It could be something specific to your system, at least I have never seen this
on any of my machines nor heard any local KDE users report this when meeting
them.

All user process running here are nice 0, prio 20
The only processes with a different nice value are
udevd (-4), boinc (19), syslog-ng(5) and gpm(5)

Maybe some system wide setting or some change in startkde or an extender
script in $HOME/.kde/env?

Cheers,
Kevin

David Baron 05-09-2010 07:20 PM

Processes Run at Nice 19!

On Tuesday 04 May 2010 20:00:56 David Baron wrote:
> I still have not gotten to the root of this very annoying problem.
>
> In the earliest KDE4 versions, stuff started up at the normal default nice
> of 0 (priority 20). I had a renice script to get all those akonadi daemons
> niced out of the way so kde4 would be usable.
>
> One version (4.2.*) had stuff starting at 0, priority 40 (did not know
> there was such an animal) but it played nicely.
>
> After that, it seems, everything of kde4's menus, desktop icons, anything
> it spawns is being niced to 19. This renders kde4 unusable. So my renicer
> script sets plasma-desktop, kmail and several of the core utilities back
> to 0 so I can use it. But this workaround is no answer.
>
> I have no idea why this is going on. Any ideas?

and actually, the KDE process start out properly at 0/20. A top running in a
konsole or yakuake will show them being switched to 19/39 after a short time!!
After this, anything spawned by KDE will have 19/39. Commands typed into the
konsole will be 0/20.

What might do this? Which KDE process determines what .desktop clicks get
niced? Might workaround by renicing that one to 0 immediately.

Also, this apparently does not effect other users.

Kevin Krammer 05-09-2010 08:28 PM

Processes Run at Nice 19!

On Sunday, 2010-05-09, David Baron wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 May 2010 20:00:56 David Baron wrote:
> > I still have not gotten to the root of this very annoying problem.
> >
> > In the earliest KDE4 versions, stuff started up at the normal default
> > nice of 0 (priority 20). I had a renice script to get all those akonadi
> > daemons niced out of the way so kde4 would be usable.
> >
> > One version (4.2.*) had stuff starting at 0, priority 40 (did not know
> > there was such an animal) but it played nicely.
> >
> > After that, it seems, everything of kde4's menus, desktop icons, anything
> > it spawns is being niced to 19. This renders kde4 unusable. So my renicer
> > script sets plasma-desktop, kmail and several of the core utilities back
> > to 0 so I can use it. But this workaround is no answer.
> >
> > I have no idea why this is going on. Any ideas?
>
> and actually, the KDE process start out properly at 0/20. A top running in
> a konsole or yakuake will show them being switched to 19/39 after a short
> time!! After this, anything spawned by KDE will have 19/39. Commands typed
> into the konsole will be 0/20.
>
> What might do this? Which KDE process determines what .desktop clicks get
> niced? Might workaround by renicing that one to 0 immediately.

I am not aware of any KDE functionality that would renice stuff.
Maybe something external is renicing kdeinit4 which forks most other processes
or klauncher.

> Also, this apparently does not effect other users.

Interesting.
Maybe some kind of script in that user's $PATH?
Or something from $HOME/.kde/env?

Cheers,
Kevin