Old 05-04-2010, 02:44 AM
"B. Alexander"

Default KDE menu wierdness

On my sid box at home, I had an issue which turned my KDE menu topsy turvy. Note that I am running 32 bit sid on this box. On my 64-bit machine at work, I haven't seen this behavior.

Originally, the top-level menu categories were similar to the ones on kde 3.5:

Debian, Development, Edutainment, Games, Graphics, Internet, Multimedia, Office, etc.

At some point, I lost System, Office, and a couple of others...And all of the apps that lived under them are now in Lost and Found, about 120 or so. I opened kmenuedit and tried to restore menu config, to no avail. Is there a way to access the menu from the command line? a file I can edit to arrange it? The gui seems a little time consuming.

Anyone got a fix for it?

--b

Old 05-04-2010, 06:48 AM
Adrian von Bidder

Heyho!

On Tuesday 04 May 2010 04.44:48 B. Alexander wrote:
> [ KDE Menu chaos ]
> Anyone got a fix for it?

Have you tried creating a new account and looking if it's there as well?
The menu is basically system wide, but users may customize it (and I
absolutely don't understand how system wide and local menu are merged.)

If it's not system wide, removing the right files from your ~/.kde, ~/.local
and/or ~/.config directories should probably cure the proble, (If you
didn't do much customizing you can obviously nuke your whole configuration
but in my case, that would lose quite a few hours configuration work, not to
speak of stuff like address book/calendar data etc. ...)

cheers
-- vbi

--
I have opinions of my own - strong opinions - but I don't always agree
with them.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Nate Bargmann

For some time I've been seeing an effect where clicking on the menu icon
in the panel will show the menu briefly. The only way to keep it
visible is to click and hold down the mouse button while navigating the
menu. I sure do miss the reliability of the menu in the 3.5 series.

- Nate >