FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian KDE

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-25-2010, 03:49 AM
lrhorer
 
Default KDE Issues under "Squeeze"

I have tried twice, now, to build Debian "Squeeze" systems employing
KDE4, and both have had similar problems. I tried on an old Dell GX250
mini-desktop system back in December, but KDE was so unstable I finally
had to remove it - it kept locking up the PC completely. Once the
system was up and running, I converted it to headless and disabled the
GUI altogether, as it is being remotely managed over a slow internet
link. A few days ago, however, I came up with a new project which does
require a GUI, so I installed "Squeeze" on this box, as well. It has
an Asus M4A785-M motherboard running on a 3 GHz AMD Athlon 64 x 2
procesor. KDE is much more stable, but still has problems.

First of all, Akonadi will not run, but I also can't seem to get rid of
it. Is there a way to keep KDE, yet get rid of Akonadi? If not, I'll
post the logs and backtraces.

Secondly, KPackage is badly broken. It only shows a handful of
applications installed or available. Synaptic or aptitude show
thousands available and hundreds installed, of course. What's more, I
no longer see how one can manage the sources in the new KDE4 KPackage.
In KDE3, one could not only easily manage the apt sources from inside
the app, but also RPM repositories. Now I don't see how to manage the
apt sources (I can manually edit /etc/apt/sources.list, of course) or
how to manage rpm sources, at all.

Finally, the wallpaper for KDM isn't working. Even though I select a
particular wallpaper for the greeter, it doesn't properly display. The
whole background comes up as gray. If I open one of the greeter
windows and then dismiss it, the area behind the window updates with
the picture, but the rest remains gray. When the greeter window
disappears aftere login, the wallpaper is displayed behind its window
for a moment, as well. This is the case whether logging in from the
console or via XDMCP.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: aPKdnQH1541FJk7WnZ2dnUVZ_tWhnZ2d@giganews.com">htt p://lists.debian.org/aPKdnQH1541FJk7WnZ2dnUVZ_tWhnZ2d@giganews.com
 
Old 04-25-2010, 06:52 AM
Sune Vuorela
 
Default KDE Issues under "Squeeze"

On 2010-04-25, lrhorer <lrhorer@satx.rr.com> wrote:
> First of all, Akonadi will not run, but I also can't seem to get rid of
> it. Is there a way to keep KDE, yet get rid of Akonadi? If not, I'll
> post the logs and backtraces.

No. there is no way to keep all of KDE and get rid of akonadi. It is a
essential part of kdepim.

>
> Secondly, KPackage is badly broken. It only shows a handful of
> applications installed or available. Synaptic or aptitude show
> thousands available and hundreds installed, of course. What's more, I
> no longer see how one can manage the sources in the new KDE4 KPackage.

KPackage is being removed very soon and is already gone in experimental.

/Sune


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: slrnht7pkl.nfa.nospam@sshway.ssh.pusling.com">http ://lists.debian.org/slrnht7pkl.nfa.nospam@sshway.ssh.pusling.com
 
Old 04-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Adrian von Bidder
 
Default KDE Issues under "Squeeze"

Hi,

On Sunday 25 April 2010 05.49:44 lrhorer wrote:
> KDE is much more stable, but still has problems.

Hmm.

Using KDE 4 for months now; currently 4.4 from experimental. If that's
what'll end up in squeeze I wouldn't say "it has problems" in general. KDE
certainly is far from bug-free, but it's very usable as an everyday desktop.
( Sune & Co: you can consider this a general reportbug --kudos :-)

lrhorer: I recommend you update to the packages that are currently in
experimental and check if the problems are still there. I'm sure bug
reports are welcome. If you can be bothered to do the necessary work and
separately report packaging issues to the Debian bts and KDE 4.4 issues to
the KDE bug reporting sysstem, then all the better..

cheers
-- vbi

--
featured link: http://www.pool.ntp.org
 
Old 04-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Arthur Marsh
 
Default KDE Issues under "Squeeze"

Adrian von Bidder wrote, on 25/04/10 23:22:

Hi,

On Sunday 25 April 2010 05.49:44 lrhorer wrote:

KDE is much more stable, but still has problems.


Hmm.

Using KDE 4 for months now; currently 4.4 from experimental. If that's
what'll end up in squeeze I wouldn't say "it has problems" in general. KDE
certainly is far from bug-free, but it's very usable as an everyday desktop.
( Sune& Co: you can consider this a general reportbug --kudos :-)

lrhorer: I recommend you update to the packages that are currently in
experimental and check if the problems are still there. I'm sure bug
reports are welcome. If you can be bothered to do the necessary work and
separately report packaging issues to the Debian bts and KDE 4.4 issues to
the KDE bug reporting sysstem, then all the better..

cheers
-- vbi



Agreed, but where do I file a bug in Debian to say that instructions on
how to report a bug upstream and how to mark the bug originally reported
in Debian has been forwarded upstream are lacking?


I've just attempted to do this with icedove (
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=579095 ) but how does
one do this for the general case?


I found the instructions on marking a Debian bug as forwarded upstream
not via the Debian wiki or any package's instructions on reporting bugs
with packages upstream, but by a Google search which lead to:

http://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-control

Many packages do *not* list the upstream site for the package or how to
report bugs upstream anywhere within /usr/share/doc/<package-name> but
ideally they should be listed:


- in the manual page for the programs/configuration files for that package

- in /usr/share/doc/<package-name>

and in the reportbug script for that package.

I do appreciate all the work of the Debian developers/packagers/release
people, but please help "fill in the gaps" or "connect the dots" on how
to go about reporting bugs that may affect both Debian users and the
upstream package.


Arthur.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: ge0ea7-1d2.ln1@ppp121-45-136-118.lns11.adl6.internode.on.net">http://lists.debian.org/ge0ea7-1d2.ln1@ppp121-45-136-118.lns11.adl6.internode.on.net
 
Old 04-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Rene Engelhard
 
Default KDE Issues under "Squeeze"

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 10:49:44PM -0500, lrhorer wrote:
> Secondly, KPackage is badly broken. It only shows a handful of
> applications installed or available. Synaptic or aptitude show
> thousands available and hundreds installed, of course. What's more, I

Then use aptitude..

> no longer see how one can manage the sources in the new KDE4 KPackage.

Feature. Just don't :-) (Personal opinion)

> In KDE3, one could not only easily manage the apt sources from inside
> the app, but also RPM repositories. Now I don't see how to manage the
> apt sources (I can manually edit /etc/apt/sources.list, of course) or
> how to manage rpm sources, at all.

You must not install rpms on a Debian system if you need sanitiy. Besides
that installing rpms from a repos would not work because you don't have the
dependencies they require (because they're either not there, have "wrong"
package names, or simply are not recorded in the rpm database)

Grüße/Regards,

René
--
.'`. René Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
: :' : http://www.debian.org | http://people.debian.org/~rene/
`. `' rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: D03E3E70
`- Fingerprint: E12D EA46 7506 70CF A960 801D 0AA0 4571 D03E 3E70


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100426001705.GE15960@rene-engelhard.de">http://lists.debian.org/20100426001705.GE15960@rene-engelhard.de
 
Old 05-02-2010, 12:16 AM
lrhorer
 
Default KDE Issues under "Squeeze"

Rene Engelhard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 10:49:44PM -0500, lrhorer wrote:
>> Secondly, KPackage is badly broken. It only shows a handful
>> of
>> applications installed or available. Synaptic or aptitude show
>> thousands available and hundreds installed, of course. What's more,
>> I
>
> Then use aptitude..

I've used it, of course. Kpackage is much easier. It's rare I say
that about a GUI utility vs. a CLI one, but in this case it's true.

>> no longer see how one can manage the sources in the new KDE4
>> KPackage.
>
> Feature. Just don't :-) (Personal opinion)

Neither of those comments are helpful. Without KPackage, KDE isn't
much use.

>> In KDE3, one could not only easily manage the apt sources from inside
>> the app, but also RPM repositories. Now I don't see how to manage
>> the apt sources (I can manually edit /etc/apt/sources.list, of
>> course) or how to manage rpm sources, at all.
>
> You must not install rpms on a Debian system if you need sanitiy.
> Besides that installing rpms from a repos would not work because you
> don't have the dependencies they require (because they're either not
> there, have "wrong" package names, or simply are not recorded in the
> rpm database)

That's just nonsense. Many packages simply do not have Debian sources,
and I have used KPackage to successfully install many alien packages.
In some cases, there may be a reasonable .deb subsitute, but many
packages, most notably hardware drives, simply have no substitute. Two
of my RAID controllers, for example, only have RPM distros. Surely you
are not suggesting a PC - Debian or otherwise - can do without its hard
drives? They installed fine under KDE3.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: R72dnSXSkbrxWUHWnZ2dnUVZ_qmdnZ2d@giganews.com">htt p://lists.debian.org/R72dnSXSkbrxWUHWnZ2dnUVZ_qmdnZ2d@giganews.com
 
Old 05-02-2010, 12:23 AM
lrhorer
 
Default KDE Issues under "Squeeze"

Sune Vuorela wrote:

> On 2010-04-25, lrhorer <lrhorer@satx.rr.com> wrote:
>> First of all, Akonadi will not run, but I also can't seem to
>> get rid of
>> it. Is there a way to keep KDE, yet get rid of Akonadi? If not,
>> I'll post the logs and backtraces.
>
> No. there is no way to keep all of KDE and get rid of akonadi. It is a
> essential part of kdepim.

I don't particularly want PIM, either. KPackage, IceWeasel, Ksensors,
NUT, Wine, and WireShark are all I really care about. Only Ksensors
and KPackage require KDE. You say, "no way to keep all of KDE..". I
don't care about all of KDE. I only want KDM and the utilities I
listed above, plus of course the terminal servers.

>> Secondly, KPackage is badly broken. It only shows a handful
>> of
>> applications installed or available. Synaptic or aptitude show
>> thousands available and hundreds installed, of course. What's more,
>> I no longer see how one can manage the sources in the new KDE4
>> KPackage.
>
> KPackage is being removed very soon and is already gone in
> experimental.

That's really bad news. Without KPackage, there really isn't much
reason to run KDE.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: R72dnSTSkbqWW0HWnZ2dnUVZ_qkAAAAA@giganews.com">htt p://lists.debian.org/R72dnSTSkbqWW0HWnZ2dnUVZ_qkAAAAA@giganews.com
 
Old 05-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Valerio Passini
 
Default KDE Issues under "Squeeze"

Alle domenica 02 maggio 2010, lrhorer ha scritto:
> hat's just nonsense. Many packages simply do not have Debian
> sources, and I have used KPackage to successfully install many alien
> packages. In some cases, there may be a reasonable .deb subsitute,
> but many packages, most notably hardware drives, simply have no
> substitute. Two of my RAID controllers, for example, only have RPM
> distros. Surely you are not suggesting a PC - Debian or otherwise -
> can do without its hard drives? They installed fine under KDE3.

You seem to not like either to keep things simple or Debian and KDE. So
why don't you switch to other rpm based distros that have the packages
that you want? All this discussion about what you don't like in Debian
and in KDE is not really meaningful and BTW I don't know of any open
source driver that can't be compiled in Debian for any kernel. If it's
closed source, then again: use the distro that is compatible with the
package format with which the drivers are provided. Just a personal
thought on this topic: it seems very odd that a driver compiled for a
kernel running on a completely different distro, can run on a Debian
kernel too. Are you sure that you are doing things in the right way?
Bye

Valerio


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201005021026.25738.valerio.passini@unicam.it">http ://lists.debian.org/201005021026.25738.valerio.passini@unicam.it
 
Old 05-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Alejandro Ramón Ballesta
 
Default KDE Issues under "Squeeze"

Hi,

AFAIK, the next KDE package manager is adept, which you can already install in
squeeze (though i recommend aptitude).

kind regards,
Alejandro.

El Domingo 02 Mayo 2010 02:23:39 lrhorer escribió:
> >[...] KPackage is being removed very soon and is already gone in
> > experimental.
>
> That's really bad news. Without KPackage, there really isn't much
> reason to run KDE.
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201005021212.28534.alerabagr@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201005021212.28534.alerabagr@gmail.com
 
Old 05-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Rene Engelhard
 
Default KDE Issues under "Squeeze"

On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 07:16:44PM -0500, lrhorer wrote:
> > You must not install rpms on a Debian system if you need sanitiy.
^^^^
> > Besides that installing rpms from a repos would not work because you
^^^^^
> > don't have the dependencies they require (because they're either not
> > there, have "wrong" package names, or simply are not recorded in the
> > rpm database)
>
> That's just nonsense. Many packages simply do not have Debian sources,
> and I have used KPackage to successfully install many alien packages.

Read again. I didn't talk about debs alien'ed from rpms.

Grüße/Regards,

René
--
.'`. René Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
: :' : http://www.debian.org | http://people.debian.org/~rene/
`. `' rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: D03E3E70
`- Fingerprint: E12D EA46 7506 70CF A960 801D 0AA0 4571 D03E 3E70


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100505151139.GA4249@rene-engelhard.de">http://lists.debian.org/20100505151139.GA4249@rene-engelhard.de
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:27 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org