-   -   Dragon Player bad AVI audio (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/357188-dragon-player-bad-avi-audio.html)

Glen Reesor 04-15-2010 05:29 AM

Dragon Player bad AVI audio

I'm running Debian Testing on two computers, and Dragon Player has
terrible audio when I play AVI files, but only on *one* of the
computers. It has a lot of noise / hiss over top of the regular audio.

Both computers have the same packages installed, thus it must be a
hardware difference. The computer with normal audio is a laptop running
the built-in speakers. The computer with the bad audio is a tower
playing the audio through USB speakers (built into my monitor).

Interestingly, mplayer gives ok audio on both computers, and codeine
(which I understand is the KDE3 version of Dragon Player) also gives ok
audio on both computers.

All other audio applications work fine on both computers (youtube,
Skype, system notifications).

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Glen Reesor

Adrian von Bidder 04-15-2010 08:40 AM

Dragon Player bad AVI audio

On Thursday 15 April 2010 07.29:54 Glen Reesor wrote:
> It has a lot of noise / hiss over top of the regular audio

This often means clipping happens (the wave form hits the digital ceiling,
so your nice sine-esque wave becomes a rectangle wave form.)

Try fiddling with the mixers. Does the hiss disappear if you turn down the
volume? (NOTE: sometimes two or three mixer channels can be changed.
Turning down "PCM" volume and turning up "Master" or vice versa might give
the same volume but in different quality. There may be also some other
settings; I believe kmix does show everything that's avalailable, if in
doubt try something like alsamixer.)

cheers
-- vbi

--
featured link: http://www.pool.ntp.org

Glen Reesor 04-18-2010 02:04 PM

Dragon Player bad AVI audio

The mixer only has PCM, which corresponds to master volume, thus
nothing changed.* Even if there were other channels in the mixer, it
wouldn't make sense for this situation because my audio is normal for
Codeine, Amarok, mplayer, Skype, Flash.

For now I'll use Codeine and hope the problem disappears in the next
release of KDE.

Thanks for you suggestions.

Glen