Old 04-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Bud Rogers

Default EOL of KDE SC 4.4.2 in qt-kde.debian.net

On Sat April 10 2010 06:43:13 Modestas Vainius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> KDE SC 4.4.2 packages in qt-kde.debian.net have been superseded by packages
> uploaded to official Debian experimental archive and therefore they were
> removed from the semi-official repository. As it was written on the
> introductory page of qt-kde.debian.net, the repository itself will remain
> to exist and might get some random extremely bleeding edge updates from
> time to time. Feel free to keep it in your /etc/apt/sources.list.

My humble thanks to all who helped us enjoy this great privilege.

--
Bud Rogers <budr at netride net>

Old 04-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Michael Schuerig

On Saturday 10 April 2010, Modestas Vainius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> KDE SC 4.4.2 packages in qt-kde.debian.net have been superseded by
> packages uploaded to official Debian experimental archive and
> therefore they were removed from the semi-official repository. As it
> was written on the introductory page of qt-kde.debian.net, the
> repository itself will remain to exist and might get some random
> extremely bleeding edge updates from time to time. Feel free to keep
> it in your /etc/apt/sources.list.

I'm wondering, if new KDE packages are uploaded to experimental, what is
the proper way to upgrade? With the separate archive, it was possible to
do a

$ sudo aptitude -t experimental-snapshots dist-upgrade

However, doing the same with -t experimental updates the entire system
to experimental, which is presumably not what most people want. Is there
a way to only upgrade KDE-related packages from experimental?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de

Old 04-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

On šeštadienis 10 Balandis 2010 16:38:38 Michael Schuerig wrote:
> However, doing the same with -t experimental updates the entire system
> to experimental, which is presumably not what most people want. Is there
> a way to only upgrade KDE-related packages from experimental?

Bump priority of experimental to 101 (/etc/apt/preferences):

Package: *
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 101

and do a normal dist-upgrade:

# aptitude dist-upgrade

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>

Old 04-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Michael Schuerig

On Saturday 10 April 2010, Modestas Vainius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On šeštadienis 10 Balandis 2010 16:38:38 Michael Schuerig wrote:
> > However, doing the same with -t experimental updates the entire
> > system to experimental, which is presumably not what most people
> > want. Is there a way to only upgrade KDE-related packages from
> > experimental?
>
> Bump priority of experimental to 101 (/etc/apt/preferences):
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=experimental
> Pin-Priority: 101
>
> and do a normal dist-upgrade:
>
> # aptitude dist-upgrade

In my case, that makes aptitude ask about upgrading several ruby
packages (apparently there's currently a change from -2 to -3 in
progress in unstable), but nothing KDE-related is going to get upgraded.
I can see, though, that newer versions are available.

$ apt-cache policy kdebase
kdebase:
Installed: 5:58~rc4
Candidate: 5:58
Version table:
5:58 0
101 http://debian.netcologne.de experimental/main Packages
*** 5:58~rc4 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
5:55 0
990 http://debian.netcologne.de unstable/main Packages

Michael

$ apt-cache policy
Package files:
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
release a=now
990 http://debian.netcologne.de unstable/non-free Packages
release v=None,o=Unofficial Multimedia
Packages,a=unstable,n=sid,l=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,c=non-free
origin debian.netcologne.de
990 http://debian.netcologne.de unstable/main Packages
release v=None,o=Unofficial Multimedia
Packages,a=unstable,n=sid,l=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,c=main
origin debian.netcologne.de
101 http://debian.netcologne.de experimental/non-free Packages
release o=Debian,a=experimental,n=experimental,l=Debian,c= non-free
origin debian.netcologne.de
101 http://debian.netcologne.de experimental/contrib Packages
release o=Debian,a=experimental,n=experimental,l=Debian,c= contrib
origin debian.netcologne.de
101 http://debian.netcologne.de experimental/main Packages
release o=Debian,a=experimental,n=experimental,l=Debian,c= main
origin debian.netcologne.de
990 http://debian.netcologne.de unstable/non-free Packages
release o=Debian,a=unstable,n=sid,l=Debian,c=non-free
origin debian.netcologne.de
990 http://debian.netcologne.de unstable/contrib Packages
release o=Debian,a=unstable,n=sid,l=Debian,c=contrib
origin debian.netcologne.de
990 http://debian.netcologne.de unstable/main Packages
release o=Debian,a=unstable,n=sid,l=Debian,c=main
origin debian.netcologne.de
Pinned packages:

Old 04-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

On šeštadienis 10 Balandis 2010 19:12:33 Michael Schuerig wrote:

> $ apt-cache policy kdebase
> kdebase:
> Installed: 5:58~rc4
> Candidate: 5:58
> Version table:
> 5:58 0
> 101 http://debian.netcologne.de experimental/main Packages
> *** 5:58~rc4 0
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> 5:55 0
> 990 http://debian.netcologne.de unstable/main Packages

This clearly shows that dist-upgrade should pick up newer kdebase (see
Candidate version).

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>

Old 04-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Michael Schuerig

On Saturday 10 April 2010, Modestas Vainius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On šeštadienis 10 Balandis 2010 19:12:33 Michael Schuerig wrote:
> > $ apt-cache policy kdebase
> >
> > kdebase:
> > Installed: 5:58~rc4
> > Candidate: 5:58
> >
> > Version table:
> > 5:58 0
> >
> > 101 http://debian.netcologne.de experimental/main Packages
> >
> > *** 5:58~rc4 0
> >
> > 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> >
> > 5:55 0
> >
> > 990 http://debian.netcologne.de unstable/main Packages
>
> This clearly shows that dist-upgrade should pick up newer kdebase
> (see Candidate version).

It should, alas, it doesn't. See below. I can go through possible
solutions until there aren't any more, but KDE packages never show up.

Does this work for others?

Michael

$ sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information... Done
Initializing package states... Done
odbcinst1debian2{ab}
libruby1.8{b} libruby1.8-dbg odbcinst ri1.8 ruby1.8{b} ruby1.8-dev
6 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 6.072kB of archives. After unpacking 1.573kB will be used.
ruby1.8: Conflicts: irb1.8 but 1.8.7.249-2 is installed.
Conflicts: rdoc1.8 but 1.8.7.249-2 is installed.
odbcinst1debian2: Conflicts: odbcinst1debian1 but 2.2.11-21 is
installed.
libruby1.8: Conflicts: libdbm-ruby1.8 but 1.8.7.249-2 is installed.
Conflicts: libgdbm-ruby1.8 but 1.8.7.249-2 is installed.
Conflicts: libreadline-ruby1.8 but 1.8.7.249-2 is
installed.

Remove the following packages:
1) apt-listbugs
2) irb1.8
3) libdbm-ruby1.8
4) libgdbm-ruby1.8
5) libgettext-ruby-util
6) libgettext-ruby1.8
7) libreadline-ruby1.8
8) odbcinst1debian1
9) rdoc1.8

Tier: Safe actions, Remove packages (10000)

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]

Old 04-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Diederik de Haas

On 2010-04-10 Modestas Vainius wrote:
> On šeštadienis 10 Balandis 2010 16:38:38 Michael Schuerig wrote:
> > However, doing the same with -t experimental updates the entire system
> > to experimental, which is presumably not what most people want. Is there
> > a way to only upgrade KDE-related packages from experimental?
>
> Bump priority of experimental to 101 (/etc/apt/preferences):
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=experimental
> Pin-Priority: 101
>
> and do a normal dist-upgrade:

I would also like to know if it's possible to only pin the kde packages from experimental.

I'm trying to create a KDE 4.4.2 LiveCD with live-helper. During the creation process a chroot
environment is created where all the packages are installed. In that chroot I have the testing, sid
and experimental sources configured. But with the above preferences file the kde packages from testing
are installed, since testing/sid have a priority of 500 and experimental 101.
Changing the Pin-Priority to 501 makes the chroot fail, since aptitude removes aptitude at some
point due to dependency issues.
(like Michael Schuerig mentioned, it tries to upgrade the whole system to experimental)
Probably important to note is that during that stage when issues arrive, the 1st proposed solution
is always used, since it's not an interactive stage.

Live-helper also supports an interactive stage, which creates the chroot, installs the packages and
then you're given a command line at which you can do things interactively.
Doing a full-upgrade in interactive mode, I get a whole bunch of solutions, each of them include
removing kde-minimal, thus removing all kde related packages.
Conclusion: I'm not able create a KDE 4.4.2 LiveCD at this point :-/

Diederik

Old 04-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

On šeštadienis 10 Balandis 2010 21:25:04 Diederik de Haas wrote:
> I would also like to know if it's possible to only pin the kde packages
> from experimental.

No unless you want to list all KDE SC 4.4 binary packages in
/etc/apt/preferences (one entry for each package, 400+ in total).

> I'm trying to create a KDE 4.4.2 LiveCD with live-helper. During the
> creation process a chroot environment is created where all the packages
> are installed. In that chroot I have the testing, sid and experimental
> sources configured. But with the above preferences file the kde packages
> from testing are installed, since testing/sid have a priority of 500 and
> experimental 101. Changing the Pin-Priority to 501 makes the chroot fail,
> since aptitude removes aptitude at some point due to dependency issues.

Never pin whole experimental higher than unstable.

> (like Michael Schuerig mentioned, it tries to upgrade the whole system to
> experimental) Probably important to note is that during that stage when
> issues arrive, the 1st proposed solution is always used, since it's not an
> interactive stage.

Therefore you should tweak aptitude in such a way that the first solution
would be the one you want.

> Live-helper also supports an interactive stage, which creates the chroot,
> installs the packages and then you're given a command line at which you
> can do things interactively. Doing a full-upgrade in interactive mode, I
> get a whole bunch of solutions, each of them include removing kde-minimal,
> thus removing all kde related packages.

In order to upgrade existing KDE 4.3.4 installation, something like this
should work (untested):

# aptitude -t experimental install '?maintainer(Debian Qt/KDE
Maintainers)~Aexperimental~i'

or (a safer version):

# aptitude -o 'Aptitude::ProblemResolver::Hints::experimental=ap prove
~Aexperimental' install '?maintainer(Debian Qt/KDE
Maintainers)~Aexperimental~i'/experimental

For new installations:

# aptitude -t experimental install kde-standard

or (safer version):

# aptitude -o 'Aptitude::ProblemResolver::Hints::experimental=ap prove
~Aexperimental' install kde-standard/experimental

You should not run into much troube unless there are packages with
unresolvable dependencies installed.

> Conclusion: I'm not able create a KDE 4.4.2 LiveCD at this point :-/

It has never been easy to deal with experimental because it is a dumping
ground for lots stuff and typically only want a couple of packages.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>

Old 04-10-2010, 10:31 PM
Diederik de Haas

On 2010-04-10 Modestas Vainius wrote:
> No unless you want to list all KDE SC 4.4 binary packages in
> /etc/apt/preferences (one entry for each package, 400+ in total).
No not really.

> Never pin whole experimental higher than unstable.
Didn't think it was a good idea, but wanted to try it out anyway. Now I know I shouldn't do that ;-)

> Therefore you should tweak aptitude in such a way that the first solution
> would be the one you want.
I've noticed that you know quite a number of advanced aptitude tricks, like the ones you give below
and were available on http://qt-kde.debian.net/.
Where did you learn those tricks?

> In order to upgrade existing KDE 4.3.4 installation, something like this
> should work (untested):
I think it should be doable by installing KDE 4.3 and upgrading it in the interactive stage, thanks.

> For new installations:
> # aptitude -t experimental install kde-standard
live-helper doesn't support constructs like "-t experimental" (in non-interactive mode anyway).
But with apt-preferences, pinning and the like most if not all of it should be possible.
Quite a learning curve, but should be interesting.

Thanks for the help,

Diederik

Old 04-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Adrian von Bidder

On Saturday 10 April 2010 16.04:02 Modestas Vainius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On šeštadienis 10 Balandis 2010 16:38:38 Michael Schuerig wrote:
> > However, doing the same with -t experimental updates the entire system
> > to experimental, which is presumably not what most people want. Is
> > there a way to only upgrade KDE-related packages from experimental?
>
> Bump priority of experimental to 101 (/etc/apt/preferences):
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=experimental
> Pin-Priority: 101
>
> and do a normal dist-upgrade:
>
> # aptitude dist-upgrade

... which does exactly what Michael wants to avoid.

You'd have to read the apt_preferences manpage, but from memory there is no
way to use patterns in the Package: line (ideally you could use the kind of
patterns aptitude uses in search queries, namely "?source-package(^kde)" -
I'm quite sure this is not possible but you'd have to check.

What I always do (since I use aptitude in any case and carefully check what
I update) is going through aptitude's package list using the search query I
mentioned above.

A "aptitude search " | cut | ... | xargs aptitude install -t experimental"
kind of hack is left as an exercise to the reader and is the best
possibility I can think of just now.

cheers
-- vbi

--
I once ran a Linux machine with 8M of RAM
and used a floppy disk as a swap device.