FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian KDE

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Smokejohn
 
Default Cannot login

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Klaus Becker <colonius@free.fr> wrote:


Le Mardi 06 Avril 2010 18:35:51, John Kapnogiannis a écrit :

> Hello there. I got a debian testing installation and I currently cannot

> login in kde. I give my pass and instead of a proper kde session I get

> kdm's login screen again. I haven't done any upgrade but I did a really

> stupid thing: I hit the power button and turn the laptop off the hard

> way while it was in suspend mode. I tried googling but it gave me no

> usefull things.

>

> The .xsession-errors file in my home folder says Permission denied. I

> checked the permissions in /tmp and /var/tmp and everything seems fine.

> I also deleted the .kde folder. Login in as root and typing startx opens

> a kde session.

>

> Any ideas?

>

> PS: I did the instructions described in this page:

> https://developer.skype.com/jira/browse/SCL-510 in order to fix skype on

> me 64-bit installation, but I don't think it has something to do with my

> problem. I think something got wrong when I hit the power button.



Hi,



perhaps



#chown -R john /home/john



or any username you use ?



If this does'nt work, you can try to create a new user and then cope all your

files to /home/new-user.





Nope did not help. Adding a new user did not fix anything too. I tried login in a console and then startx and I got some errors about xkb not being able to get initialized. Strange....* So the thing is that no user except the root can start a kde session.
 
Old 04-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Steven Crooks
 
Default Cannot login

On Tuesday 06 April 2010 19:31:19 Smokejohn wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Klaus Becker <colonius@free.fr> wrote:
> > Le Mardi 06 Avril 2010 18:35:51, John Kapnogiannis a écrit :
> > > Hello there. I got a debian testing installation and I currently cannot
> > > login in kde. I give my pass and instead of a proper kde session I get
> > > kdm's login screen again. I haven't done any upgrade but I did a really
> > > stupid thing: I hit the power button and turn the laptop off the hard
> > > way while it was in suspend mode. I tried googling but it gave me no
> > > usefull things.
> > >
> > > The .xsession-errors file in my home folder says Permission denied. I
> > > checked the permissions in /tmp and /var/tmp and everything seems fine.
> > > I also deleted the .kde folder. Login in as root and typing startx
> > > opens a kde session.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > PS: I did the instructions described in this page:
> > > https://developer.skype.com/jira/browse/SCL-510 in order to fix skype
> > > on me 64-bit installation, but I don't think it has something to do
> > > with my problem. I think something got wrong when I hit the power
> > > button.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > perhaps
> >
> > #chown -R john /home/john
> >
> > or any username you use ?
> >
> > If this does'nt work, you can try to create a new user and then cope all
> > your
> > files to /home/new-user.
> >
> >
> > Nope did not help. Adding a new user did not fix anything too. I tried
>
> login in a console and then startx and I got some errors about xkb not
> being able to get initialized. Strange.... So the thing is that no user
> except the root can start a kde session.

Just for completion:

Check if there is enough space on your/the harddisk.

Steven
 
Old 04-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Smokejohn
 
Default Cannot login

2010/4/6 Iker Salmón San Millán <shaola@esdebian.org>

have you checked home partition integrity? are you sure it's no mounted as read only?

2010/4/6 Smokejohn <smokejohn@gmail.com>





On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Klaus Becker <colonius@free.fr> wrote:




Le Mardi 06 Avril 2010 18:35:51, John Kapnogiannis a écrit :

> Hello there. I got a debian testing installation and I currently cannot

> login in kde. I give my pass and instead of a proper kde session I get

> kdm's login screen again. I haven't done any upgrade but I did a really

> stupid thing: I hit the power button and turn the laptop off the hard

> way while it was in suspend mode. I tried googling but it gave me no

> usefull things.

>

> The .xsession-errors file in my home folder says Permission denied. I

> checked the permissions in /tmp and /var/tmp and everything seems fine.

> I also deleted the .kde folder. Login in as root and typing startx opens

> a kde session.

>

> Any ideas?

>

> PS: I did the instructions described in this page:

> https://developer.skype.com/jira/browse/SCL-510 in order to fix skype on

> me 64-bit installation, but I don't think it has something to do with my

> problem. I think something got wrong when I hit the power button.



Hi,



perhaps



#chown -R john /home/john



or any username you use ?



If this does'nt work, you can try to create a new user and then cope all your

files to /home/new-user.





Nope did not help. Adding a new user did not fix anything too. I tried login in a console and then startx and I got some errors about xkb not being able to get initialized. Strange....* So the thing is that no user except the root can start a kde session.








Yes the partition is checked and it is fine.* I am really stuck here
 
Old 04-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Smokejohn
 
Default Cannot login

2010/4/6 Iker Salmón San Millán <shaola@esdebian.org>

try installing and using xdm, i know tha is not a solution, but i've been dealing with a very similar problem with a friend of mine and the only way to fix it was using xdm (or gdm).* If you can login with xdm, maybe we should consider a bug and report it.



2010/4/6 Smokejohn <smokejohn@gmail.com>




2010/4/6 Iker Salmón San Millán <shaola@esdebian.org>



have you checked home partition integrity? are you sure it's no mounted as read only?

2010/4/6 Smokejohn <smokejohn@gmail.com>







On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Klaus Becker <colonius@free.fr> wrote:






Le Mardi 06 Avril 2010 18:35:51, John Kapnogiannis a écrit :

> Hello there. I got a debian testing installation and I currently cannot

> login in kde. I give my pass and instead of a proper kde session I get

> kdm's login screen again. I haven't done any upgrade but I did a really

> stupid thing: I hit the power button and turn the laptop off the hard

> way while it was in suspend mode. I tried googling but it gave me no

> usefull things.

>

> The .xsession-errors file in my home folder says Permission denied. I

> checked the permissions in /tmp and /var/tmp and everything seems fine.

> I also deleted the .kde folder. Login in as root and typing startx opens

> a kde session.

>

> Any ideas?

>

> PS: I did the instructions described in this page:

> https://developer.skype.com/jira/browse/SCL-510 in order to fix skype on

> me 64-bit installation, but I don't think it has something to do with my

> problem. I think something got wrong when I hit the power button.



Hi,



perhaps



#chown -R john /home/john



or any username you use ?



If this does'nt work, you can try to create a new user and then cope all your

files to /home/new-user.





Nope did not help. Adding a new user did not fix anything too. I tried login in a console and then startx and I got some errors about xkb not being able to get initialized. Strange....* So the thing is that no user except the root can start a kde session.










Yes the partition is checked and it is fine.* I am really stuck here




Ok I will try that and report back.
 
Old 04-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Smokejohn
 
Default Cannot login

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Steven Crooks <steven@worldofcrooks.org> wrote:

On Tuesday 06 April 2010 19:31:19 Smokejohn wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Klaus Becker <colonius@free.fr> wrote:

> > Le Mardi 06 Avril 2010 18:35:51, John Kapnogiannis a écrit :

> > > Hello there. I got a debian testing installation and I currently cannot

> > > login in kde. I give my pass and instead of a proper kde session I get

> > > kdm's login screen again. I haven't done any upgrade but I did a really

> > > stupid thing: I hit the power button and turn the laptop off the hard

> > > way while it was in suspend mode. I tried googling but it gave me no

> > > usefull things.

> > >

> > > The .xsession-errors file in my home folder says Permission denied. I

> > > checked the permissions in /tmp and /var/tmp and everything seems fine.

> > > I also deleted the .kde folder. Login in as root and typing startx

> > > opens a kde session.

> > >

> > > Any ideas?

> > >

> > > PS: I did the instructions described in this page:

> > > https://developer.skype.com/jira/browse/SCL-510 in order to fix skype

> > > on me 64-bit installation, but I don't think it has something to do

> > > with my problem. I think something got wrong when I hit the power

> > > button.

> >

> > Hi,

> >

> > perhaps

> >

> > #chown -R john /home/john

> >

> > or any username you use ?

> >

> > If this does'nt work, you can try to create a new user and then cope all

> > your

> > files to /home/new-user.

> >

> >

> > Nope did not help. Adding a new user did not fix anything too. I tried

>

> login in a console and then startx and I got some errors about xkb not

> being able to get initialized. Strange.... *So the thing is that no user

> except the root can start a kde session.



Just for completion:



Check if there is enough space on your/the harddisk.



Steven


There is plenty of space. I think something messed up the permissions cause the laptop was in suspend mode when I repeatedly pressed the power button. So it has to be my bad and not a bug or something.


J
 
Old 04-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Daniel Sutil
 
Default Cannot login

Hello.

Some weeks ago I had exactly the same behaviour as you in my debian testing system.
I cannot login to kde* "with kdm". When I tried to login to kde I get kdm's login screen again.
Also, and I think that that is the problem we have, I applied https://developer.skype.com/jira/browse/SCL-510.

Until now, I thought that the fix to skype was not what caused the problem with the login, but now, I think that that's the problem, because I have exactly the same problem with the login as yours and the problem start exactly after I applied the fix to skype's (Until now, I thought that the problem comes with a patch upgrade or something like that).


I made the following tests:
- Create a new user and tried to login and get the same behaviour.
- Check free space and all was ok.
- Rename <userhome>/.kde to <userhome>/.kde_old and <userhome>/.kde4 to <userhome>/.kde4_old and I get the same behaviour.

- I tried to undo the recommendations in https://developer.skype.com/jira/browse/SCL-510 with no success (but I really don't know if I do all the steps to restore the system as before the fix)

- I remove the kdm and reinstall it with no success
- I remove all kde packages and reinstalled, also with no success :-(
- I could start kde with no problem from a console, stopping the kdm and executing startx with my user. Can you try this?


Finally I applied the following workaround: I remove kdm and installed gdm. After that, I have no problem to login. I haven't investigated any further because I really don't know from where the problem comes, but now, maybe we have to undo the steps applied with the skype's solution to solve our problem.


I hope this helps to solve our problem

P.D. Sorry for my typos
Un saludo,

Daniel Sutil




On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Smokejohn <smokejohn@gmail.com> wrote:



On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Steven Crooks <steven@worldofcrooks.org> wrote:


On Tuesday 06 April 2010 19:31:19 Smokejohn wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Klaus Becker <colonius@free.fr> wrote:

> > Le Mardi 06 Avril 2010 18:35:51, John Kapnogiannis a écrit :

> > > Hello there. I got a debian testing installation and I currently cannot

> > > login in kde. I give my pass and instead of a proper kde session I get

> > > kdm's login screen again. I haven't done any upgrade but I did a really

> > > stupid thing: I hit the power button and turn the laptop off the hard

> > > way while it was in suspend mode. I tried googling but it gave me no

> > > usefull things.

> > >

> > > The .xsession-errors file in my home folder says Permission denied. I

> > > checked the permissions in /tmp and /var/tmp and everything seems fine.

> > > I also deleted the .kde folder. Login in as root and typing startx

> > > opens a kde session.

> > >

> > > Any ideas?

> > >

> > > PS: I did the instructions described in this page:

> > > https://developer.skype.com/jira/browse/SCL-510 in order to fix skype

> > > on me 64-bit installation, but I don't think it has something to do

> > > with my problem. I think something got wrong when I hit the power

> > > button.

> >

> > Hi,

> >

> > perhaps

> >

> > #chown -R john /home/john

> >

> > or any username you use ?

> >

> > If this does'nt work, you can try to create a new user and then cope all

> > your

> > files to /home/new-user.

> >

> >

> > Nope did not help. Adding a new user did not fix anything too. I tried

>

> login in a console and then startx and I got some errors about xkb not

> being able to get initialized. Strange.... *So the thing is that no user

> except the root can start a kde session.



Just for completion:



Check if there is enough space on your/the harddisk.



Steven


There is plenty of space. I think something messed up the permissions cause the laptop was in suspend mode when I repeatedly pressed the power button. So it has to be my bad and not a bug or something.



J
 
Old 04-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Klaus Becker
 
Default Cannot login

Le Mardi 06 Avril 2010 22:41:44, Daniel Sutil a écrit :
> Finally I applied the following workaround: I remove kdm and installed gdm.
> After that, I have no problem to login. I haven't investigated any further
> because I really don't know from where the problem comes, but now, maybe we
> have to undo the steps applied with the skype's solution to solve our
> problem.


Hi,

I had the same problem with kdm, but no problem with gdm.

cheers

Klaus


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201004062253.54963.colonius@free.fr">http://lists.debian.org/201004062253.54963.colonius@free.fr
 
Old 04-07-2010, 07:32 AM
Daniel Sutil
 
Default Cannot login

Hello,

To try to solve the problem, Can someone without the problem list the files in /lib32 and in /usr/lib32?

Thanks,
Un saludo,

Daniel Sutil




On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 10:53 PM, Klaus Becker <colonius@free.fr> wrote:

Le Mardi 06 Avril 2010 22:41:44, Daniel Sutil a écrit :

> Finally I applied the following workaround: I remove kdm and installed gdm.

> After that, I have no problem to login. I haven't investigated any further

> because I really don't know from where the problem comes, but now, maybe we

> have to undo the steps applied with the skype's solution to solve our

> problem.





Hi,



I had the same problem with kdm, but no problem with gdm.



cheers



Klaus





--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/201004062253.54963.colonius@free.fr
 
Old 04-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Smokejohn
 
Default Cannot login

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 11:53 PM, Klaus Becker <colonius@free.fr> wrote:

Le Mardi 06 Avril 2010 22:41:44, Daniel Sutil a écrit :

> Finally I applied the following workaround: I remove kdm and installed gdm.

> After that, I have no problem to login. I haven't investigated any further

> because I really don't know from where the problem comes, but now, maybe we

> have to undo the steps applied with the skype's solution to solve our

> problem.





Hi,



I had the same problem with kdm, but no problem with gdm.



cheers



Klaus


Hi. Installing gdm did not do the trick

When doing startx as a normal user from console I get some errors like "xkb could not initialize" and "Xinit: no such file or directory" and "Xinit: Could not connect to xserver"....


Some friend told me to purge kde and reinstall it. I don't think this will help. Do you think I should give it a try?

*
 
Old 04-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Daniel Sutil
 
Default Cannot login

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Smokejohn <smokejohn@gmail.com> wrote:




On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 11:53 PM, Klaus Becker <colonius@free.fr> wrote:



Le Mardi 06 Avril 2010 22:41:44, Daniel Sutil a écrit :

> Finally I applied the following workaround: I remove kdm and installed gdm.

> After that, I have no problem to login. I haven't investigated any further

> because I really don't know from where the problem comes, but now, maybe we

> have to undo the steps applied with the skype's solution to solve our

> problem.





Hi,



I had the same problem with kdm, but no problem with gdm.



cheers



Klaus


Hi. Installing gdm did not do the trick

You must uninstall the kdm service first and select in the session selector of gdm "kde". If you don't select the session type, get some errors.


*
When doing startx as a normal user from console I get some errors like "xkb could not initialize" and "Xinit: no such file or directory" and "Xinit: Could not connect to xserver"....



Have you stopped the kdm first?
*




Some friend told me to purge kde and reinstall it. I don't think this will help. Do you think I should give it a try?

*

I tried that with no success :-(
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:58 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org