Old 04-06-2010, 04:35 PM
John Kapnogiannis

Default Cannot login

Hello there. I got a debian testing installation and I currently cannot
login in kde. I give my pass and instead of a proper kde session I get
kdm's login screen again. I haven't done any upgrade but I did a really
stupid thing: I hit the power button and turn the laptop off the hard
way while it was in suspend mode. I tried googling but it gave me no
usefull things.

The .xsession-errors file in my home folder says Permission denied. I
checked the permissions in /tmp and /var/tmp and everything seems fine.
I also deleted the .kde folder. Login in as root and typing startx opens
a kde session.

Any ideas?

PS: I did the instructions described in this page:
https://developer.skype.com/jira/browse/SCL-510 in order to fix skype on
me 64-bit installation, but I don't think it has something to do with my
problem. I think something got wrong when I hit the power button.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Smokejohn

Hello there. I got a debian testing installation and I currently cannot login in kde. I give my pass and instead of a proper kde session I get kdm's login screen again. I haven't done any upgrade but I did a really stupid thing: I hit the power button and turn the laptop off the hard way while it was in suspend mode. I tried googling but it gave me no usefull things.

The .xsession-errors file in my home folder says Permission denied.
To be correct: With cat on .xsession-errors it says in the first line that it tried starting x and on the second line Permission denied. I wrote this in case someone by mistake thought I had no permission to read the .xsession-errors file.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Klaus Becker

Le Mardi 06 Avril 2010 18:35:51, John Kapnogiannis a écrit :
> Hello there. I got a debian testing installation and I currently cannot
> login in kde. I give my pass and instead of a proper kde session I get
> kdm's login screen again. I haven't done any upgrade but I did a really
> stupid thing: I hit the power button and turn the laptop off the hard
> way while it was in suspend mode. I tried googling but it gave me no
> usefull things.
>
> The .xsession-errors file in my home folder says Permission denied. I
> checked the permissions in /tmp and /var/tmp and everything seems fine.
> I also deleted the .kde folder. Login in as root and typing startx opens
> a kde session.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> PS: I did the instructions described in this page:
> https://developer.skype.com/jira/browse/SCL-510 in order to fix skype on
> me 64-bit installation, but I don't think it has something to do with my
> problem. I think something got wrong when I hit the power button.

Hi,

perhaps

#chown -R john /home/john

or any username you use ?

If this does'nt work, you can try to create a new user and then cope all your
files to /home/new-user.

Klaus