Old 04-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Valerio Passini

Default Squeeze and KDE4.4

Is Debian entering freeze stage as planned before? In that case is very
unlikely that KDE 4.4.x will be included in Squeeze and this is really a
pity for KDE users in Debian. There is anything that we can do to help
solve this issue?

Old 04-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Sebastian Gr÷hn

Hi,

> Is Debian entering freeze stage as planned before? In that case is very
> unlikely that KDE 4.4.x will be included in Squeeze and this is really a
> pity for KDE users in Debian. There is anything that we can do to help
> solve this issue?

In the latest mail from the Release Team [1] there still seems to be plans for
including KDE 4.4 in sid:

"The new upstream versions of [Qt4.6 and KDE 4.4] packages have been prepared
by their maintainers, but due to the complex situation in unstable weren't
uploaded yet. Nonetheless, they are planned to be included in Squeeze."

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/04/msg00001.html

/Sebastian

Old 04-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Valerio Passini

Alle venerdý 02 aprile 2010, Sebastian Gr÷hn ha scritto:
> Hi,
>

> /Sebastian

Thank you for answering and pointing me to that message.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

On penktadienis 02 Balandis 2010 12:20:09 Valerio Passini wrote:
> Is Debian entering freeze stage as planned before? In that case is very
> unlikely that KDE 4.4.x will be included in Squeeze and this is really a
> pity for KDE users in Debian. There is anything that we can do to help
> solve this issue?

One of our release managers has once said that it is a waste of time to plan
something in Debian for more than 4 weeks ahead. In the light of this, never
worry too much about deadlines. Current release process dictates that Debian
(unlike ubuntu) will more likely delay the freeze/release/whatever (i.e.
release when ready) rather than abandon its goals due to unrealistic planning
in the past. There are people who don't like that but it's reality for now.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>

Old 04-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Valerio Passini

Alle venerdý 02 aprile 2010, Modestas Vainius ha scritto:
> Current release process dictates that Debian
> (unlike ubuntu) will more likely delay the freeze/release/whatever
> (i.e. release when ready)

The fact is that I personally love the idea to keep a kind of
synchronization between Ubuntu and Debian, for mutual improvement. On
the other side I was scared that a freeze now would disadvantage KDE in
respect of GNOME.
From the message read on debian-devel regarding the next stable release,
I have understood that Debian is seeking a compromise between completely
missing the goal of staying near Ubuntu's release, and leaving some of
the planned features outside. Wisely KDE4.4 is not among those dropped
feautures, that's enough for me.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

On penktadienis 02 Balandis 2010 17:55:28 Valerio Passini wrote:
> Alle venerdý 02 aprile 2010, Modestas Vainius ha scritto:
> > Current release process dictates that Debian
> >
> > (unlike ubuntu) will more likely delay the freeze/release/whatever
> > (i.e. release when ready)
>
> The fact is that I personally love the idea to keep a kind of
> synchronization between Ubuntu and Debian, for mutual improvement. On
> the other side I was scared that a freeze now would disadvantage KDE in
> respect of GNOME.
>
> From the message read on debian-devel regarding the next stable release,
> I have understood that Debian is seeking a compromise between completely
> missing the goal of staying near Ubuntu's release, and leaving some of
> the planned features outside. Wisely KDE4.4 is not among those dropped
> feautures, that's enough for me.

There was much confusion about this Squeeze vs. Ubuntu LTS thing including
infamous meetings of release managers and Shuttleworth PR games. In the end
this only got some Debian Developers extremely pissed off due to lack of
communication, a bunch of flamewars and a couple of false announcements with
unrealistic freeze dates to confuse users. So now we are where we are: LTS
will do their "release" while Debian won't be even frozen at that point.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>