Old 03-30-2010, 06:48 AM
Adrian von Bidder

Default API documentation?

Heyho!

As you may have read, I occasionaly tinker with code while commuting, so I'm
a bit constrained in terms of net access - therefore: is it a license or
issue that the KDE API docs are not packaged anymore? I see kdelibs4-doc,
but nothing like that for KDE 4.

(Yes, I've seen that it's trivial to download the docs from api.kde.org.
Packages would still be more convenient.)

cheers
-- vbi

--
Things that try to look like things
often do look more like things than things.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:33 AM
Sune Vuorela

On 2010-03-30, Adrian von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch> wrote:
> --nextPart2511645.s7loG139QY
>
> Heyho!
>
> As you may have read, I occasionaly tinker with code while commuting, so I'=
> m=20
> a bit constrained in terms of net access - therefore: is it a license or=20
> issue that the KDE API docs are not packaged anymore? I see kdelibs4-doc,=
>=20
> but nothing like that for KDE 4.

I think this is the second request we have got for packaging KDE 4 api
docs so far. We have been shipping KDE for quite some time without it.

I'm not sure yet that there is enough user demand to start providing it,
but I guess it is just a switch in the build system and adding a series
of build-deps.

/Sune

Old 03-30-2010, 10:11 PM
jedd

On Tuesday 30 March 2010 08:33:02 Sune Vuorela wrote:
> I'm not sure yet that there is enough user demand to start providing it,
> but I guess it is just a switch in the build system and adding a series
> of build-deps.

It might be one of those things where supply will encourage demand?

And with kdevelop4 finally shifting into 'officially usable' state,
that might also bump up the interest in the KDE API docs.

Oooh - just noticed that some kind soul has packaged up
kdevelop-php. How excellent! It was becoming quite the
challenge to keep quanta cranking along in KDE 4.x, and my
previous attempts to compile up earlier versions of kdevelop
with the php plugin were quite embarrassing.

Jedd.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:19 AM
Sune Vuorela

On 2010-03-30, jedd <jedd@progsoc.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 March 2010 08:33:02 Sune Vuorela wrote:
>> I'm not sure yet that there is enough user demand to start providing it,
>> but I guess it is just a switch in the build system and adding a series
>> of build-deps.
>
> It might be one of those things where supply will encourage demand?

Maybe.

Patches will be considered

/Sune

Old 03-31-2010, 09:10 AM
Adrian von Bidder

On Wednesday 31 March 2010 08.19:37 Sune Vuorela wrote:
[packaging kde api docs]
> Patches will be considered

JFTR: Since the API docs is easily downloadable (in contrast to the docs for
some Python based software, which is only online but not as zip/tar), I'm
happy with the status quo and won't file a wishlist bug / write the patches.

Perhaps include a README.Debian in the -deb like:

===
API Documentation
-----------------

The KDE API documentation is currently not provided in Debian packages but
is available for both download and on-line browsing at http://api.kde.org/.
===

Either this is enough (for people like me) or it will spark a wishlist bug
within 2h :-)

cheers
-- vbi

--
Das Herz hat seine Gründe, die die Vernunft nicht kennt
-- Blaise Pascal

Old 03-31-2010, 09:34 AM
Carsten Pfeiffer

Am Mittwoch, 31. März 2010 schrieb Adrian von Bidder:

> The KDE API documentation is currently not provided in Debian packages but
> is available for both download and on-line browsing at http://api.kde.org/.
> ===
>
> Either this is enough (for people like me) or it will spark a wishlist bug
> within 2h :-)

BTW, you can use the "kde:" webshortcut to access API docs. Press F2 to invoke
krunner and enter e.g. kde:kapplication

If this doesn't work, check that the webshortcuts runner is enabled, and if it
still doesn't work, check the webshortcuts configuration in konqueror.

Cheers,
Carsten