FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian KDE

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Modestas Vainius
 
Default KDE SC 4.4.2 available on qt-kde.debian.net

Hello,

KDE SC 4.4.2 packages have been uploaded to the repository at http://qt-
kde.debian.net/. KDE SC 4.4.1 users, who set up /etc/apt/preferences properly,
should be able to upgrade to it with usual dist-upgrade process. For those,
who didn't, it's about time to do it.

KDE SC 4.4.2 will be officially announced by KDE (kde.org) on Tuesday /
Wednesday. If you still wonder how packages were made available early, you
have a choice not to install them rather than ask.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>
 
Old 03-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Perich Barber
 
Default KDE SC 4.4.2 available on qt-kde.debian.net

"If you still wonder how packages were made available early, you
have a choice not to install them rather than ask."


What I wonder is if you would have the b*lls to be so rude and bad mannered if you were physically face to face with users...





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 538457.28343.qm@web52908.mail.re2.yahoo.com">http://lists.debian.org/538457.28343.qm@web52908.mail.re2.yahoo.com
 
Old 03-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Matthew Moore
 
Default KDE SC 4.4.2 available on qt-kde.debian.net

On Sunday 28 March 2010 9:55:48 am Perich Barber wrote:
> "If you still wonder how packages were made available early, you
> have a choice not to install them rather than ask."
>
> What I wonder is if you would have the b*lls to be so rude and bad mannered
> if you were physically face to face with users...

I thought that was a little odd as well, but I didn't consider it to be rude
or *badly* mannered. I think that the KDE packagers have done a great job so
far, and honestly I think that they do more than is needed with regards to
posting on this list.

Anyways, balls.

MM


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201003281114.08946.anonymous.jondoe@gmail.com">htt p://lists.debian.org/201003281114.08946.anonymous.jondoe@gmail.com
 
Old 03-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Modestas Vainius
 
Default KDE SC 4.4.2 available on qt-kde.debian.net

Hello,

On sekmadienis 28 Kovas 2010 18:55:48 Perich Barber wrote:
> "If you still wonder how packages were made available early, you
> have a choice not to install them rather than ask."
>
>
> What I wonder is if you would have the b*lls to be so rude and bad mannered
> if you were physically face to face with users...

Believe me or not, there are users who come to KDE forums, mailing lists or
irc channels (non-debian related) and *complain* (yes, literally) that
packages were released before official announcement and how this could be, are
they real etc etc. That statement was targeted at that group and I was really
tired to come up with better wording. Indeed, as I read it now, it may sound a
bit rude, so sorry if it offended you. I hope it is easier to understand when
you know the context.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>
 
Old 03-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Nick Boyce
 
Default KDE SC 4.4.2 available on qt-kde.debian.net

On 28/03/2010 18:14, Matthew Moore wrote:

> On Sunday 28 March 2010 9:55:48 am Perich Barber wrote:
>
[Modestas wrote:]
>> "If you still wonder how packages were made available early, you
>> have a choice not to install them rather than ask."
>>
>> What I wonder is if you would have the b*lls to be so rude and bad mannered
>> if you were physically face to face with users...
>
> I thought that was a little odd as well, but I didn't consider it to be rude
> or *badly* mannered.

I didn't think it was rude /or/ bad-mannered either.

I figured it was simply a commentary on how the author (Modestas) half
expected a deluge of knee-jerk queries from list-members asking how on
earth Debian packages can be available before the source has even been
released by kde.org .....

.... and I expect the answer to that is *either* that the Debian devs
work so closely with the KDE devs that they get privileged early access,
*or* that the Debian devs simply used their wit and cunning to deduce
when the source was effectively frozen and could therefore be read from
the repository without fear of missing something .... thus enabling
debian-kde@l.d.o members to get fast access to usable packages of new
software releases (a thing that Debian users are often noted for
complaining about not getting) ....

.... and I expect that the Debian KDE devs would really rather not have
to answer a million questions about this, cos they have better things to
do ... so Modestas simply pointed out that folks could always just not
install the packages if they're worried about the state of them.

Yes, he was a bit brief (succinct ? enigmatic ?) about it.

Now I've spent the time spelling this out, so that Modestas doesn't have
to .... and if I'm totally wrong, he can tell me so, and I won't mind a
bit, whatever language structures he uses to do so

That's multinational volunteer mailing lists for you.

Hey ho.

Nick Boyce
--
I think we've been in here too long. I feel unusual.
I think we should go outside.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4BAF9A35.30306@glimmer.adsl24.co.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4BAF9A35.30306@glimmer.adsl24.co.uk
 
Old 03-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Dominik Schulz
 
Default KDE SC 4.4.2 available on qt-kde.debian.net

Am Sonntag, 28. März 2010 17:55:48 schrieb Perich Barber:
> > "If you still wonder how packages were made available early, you
> > have a choice not to install them rather than ask."
> What I wonder is if you would have the b*lls to be so rude and bad mannered
> if you were physically face to face with users...
I'd be happy if you would be a bit nicer towards the people who a responsible
for packaging kde. They do a great job and I'd prefer not to piss them off. I
felt the sentence to be a bit odd, too, but not rude in any way.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards
Dominik
 
Old 03-28-2010, 06:40 PM
Marc Haber
 
Default KDE SC 4.4.2 available on qt-kde.debian.net

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 12:54:43AM +0200, Modestas Vainius wrote:
> KDE SC 4.4.2 packages have been uploaded to the repository at http://qt-
> kde.debian.net/. KDE SC 4.4.1 users, who set up /etc/apt/preferences properly,
> should be able to upgrade to it with usual dist-upgrade process. For those,
> who didn't, it's about time to do it.

Are there docs about what you consider "properly"? Will upgrades from
current unstable to the 4.4.2 from qt-kde.debian.net and on to the
4.4.x which will be in unstable eventually be supported?

Greetings
Marc

--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marc Haber | "I don't trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im Header
Mannheim, Germany | lose things." Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 621 72739834
Nordisch by Nature | How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 3221 2323190


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100328184040.GB30135@torres.zugschlus.de">http://lists.debian.org/20100328184040.GB30135@torres.zugschlus.de
 
Old 03-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Modestas Vainius
 
Default KDE SC 4.4.2 available on qt-kde.debian.net

Hello,

On sekmadienis 28 Kovas 2010 21:40:40 Marc Haber wrote:
> > KDE SC 4.4.2 packages have been uploaded to the repository at http://qt-
> > kde.debian.net/. KDE SC 4.4.1 users, who set up /etc/apt/preferences
> > properly, should be able to upgrade to it with usual dist-upgrade
> > process. For those, who didn't, it's about time to do it.

> Are there docs about what you consider "properly"?

/etc/apt/preferences snippet on http://qt-kde.debian.net/

> Will upgrades from
> current unstable to the 4.4.2 from qt-kde.debian.net and on to the
> 4.4.x which will be in unstable eventually be supported?

At this point, 99% yes. Packaging is 99% done (except debian/copyright review
for some).

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>
 
Old 03-28-2010, 08:31 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
 
Default KDE SC 4.4.2 available on qt-kde.debian.net

On Sunday 28 March 2010 13:04:37 Nick Boyce wrote:
> On 28/03/2010 18:14, Matthew Moore wrote:
> > On Sunday 28 March 2010 9:55:48 am Perich Barber wrote:
>
> [Modestas wrote:]
>
> >> "If you still wonder how packages were made available early, you
> >> have a choice not to install them rather than ask."
>
> I didn't think it was rude /or/ bad-mannered either.
>
> I figured it was simply a commentary on how the author (Modestas) half
> expected a deluge of knee-jerk queries from list-members asking how on
> earth Debian packages can be available before the source has even been
> released by kde.org .....
>
> .... and I expect the answer to that is *either* that the Debian devs
> work so closely with the KDE devs that they get privileged early access,

The KDE release team co-ordinates with packagers and is able to provide them
access to the release tarballs a few days (rarely more than a week) before the
official release announcement is made and the tarballs appear in the public
download section of the KDE website.

The Debian Qt/KDE team may have even more privileged access to the source, as
well, but I don't know anything about that.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
http://iguanasuicide.net/ \_/
 
Old 03-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Martin Steigerwald
 
Default KDE SC 4.4.2 available on qt-kde.debian.net

Am Sonntag 28 März 2010 schrieb Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.:
> On Sunday 28 March 2010 13:04:37 Nick Boyce wrote:
> > On 28/03/2010 18:14, Matthew Moore wrote:
> > > On Sunday 28 March 2010 9:55:48 am Perich Barber wrote:
> > [Modestas wrote:]
> >
> > >> "If you still wonder how packages were made available early, you
> > >> have a choice not to install them rather than ask."
> >
> > I didn't think it was rude /or/ bad-mannered either.
> >
> > I figured it was simply a commentary on how the author (Modestas)
> > half expected a deluge of knee-jerk queries from list-members asking
> > how on earth Debian packages can be available before the source has
> > even been released by kde.org .....
> >
> > .... and I expect the answer to that is *either* that the Debian devs
> > work so closely with the KDE devs that they get privileged early
> > access,
>
> The KDE release team co-ordinates with packagers and is able to provide
> them access to the release tarballs a few days (rarely more than a
> week) before the official release announcement is made and the
> tarballs appear in the public download section of the KDE website.
>
> The Debian Qt/KDE team may have even more privileged access to the
> source, as well, but I don't know anything about that.

Everyone may check out the KDE sources at any time AFAIK. There is
anonymous SVN access and the KDE projects that are hosted at gitorius are
also publically available. Only write access is limited to trusted KDE
developers.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think that Modestas and the other
debian developers are using release source tarballs at all for KDE.

--
Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:46 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org