Old 03-25-2010, 01:56 AM
Matthew Tedder

Default Links to kde debian stable are 404s

FYI:

The links to both kde debian stables on the follow page give 404 errors..* However, the kde 4.x testing links do point to ISOs..

http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde3.html

-------------------------------
I really wish I could find a distro with kde 4.x that can establish wireless connections..* KNetworkManager doesn't work on either of my computers no matter how I try to use it.* Others tell me they used wicd or something else but I cannot get any of those alternatives working because it takes too long to work through figuring out all their dependencies one by one and porting them over by USB disk..

I've been stuck forced to use gnome for quite a long while now waiting for kde 4.x to become usable... It's become very clear that there are a lot of kde refugees like me out there... really a lot of them.* I've been an avid kde user since version 1...* FVWM, prior to that starting with Slackware96.* It's been the biggest tragedy in computer history, for me..

Matthew

Old 03-25-2010, 07:07 AM
Adrian von Bidder

On Thursday 25 March 2010 03.56:02 Matthew Tedder wrote:
> I really wish I could find a distro with kde 4.x that can establish
> wireless connections.. KNetworkManager doesn't work on either of my
> computers no matter how I try to use it.

Works for me on one laptop, doesn't on the other, and I can't find the
difference. So it seems to be very fragile indeed.

One thing that has helped is editing the nm related files in
/etc/dbus-1/system.d/ and duplicating the sections marked with
at_console="true" with group="netdev" instead of the at_console stuff (and
making sure that your user actually is in group netdev). Only restarting nm
hasn't helped, it took a reboot for this to work.

And: with nm your /etc/network/interfaces should only configure the "lo"
interface and not mention the real network interfaces at all.

> Others tell me they used wicd
> or something else but I cannot get any of those alternatives

(I'd have looked at alternatives, but I haven't found one that also did
PPTP, which is why I'm still using and struggling with nm)

> working
> because it takes too long to work through figuring out all their
> dependencies one by one and porting them over by USB disk..

Matthew, meet apt-zip. apt-zip, meet Matthew. It can automate this task.
(Disclaimer: haven't used it myself, I always could arrange for network
connections to be available for package installations.)

> I've been stuck forced to use gnome for quite a long while now waiting
> for kde 4.x to become usable... It's become very clear that there are a
> lot of kde refugees like me out there... really a lot of them. I've
> been an avid kde user since version 1... FVWM, prior to that starting
> with Slackware96. It's been the biggest tragedy in computer history, for
> me..

KDE 4 has been ok since 4.1, and completely usable for my purposes since 4.2
or 4.3. I'd say 4.4 is looking quite ok, although Strigi/Nepomuk still
gobble way too much memory (my 1GB Atom netbook is not usable after a few
hours with nepomuk/strigi running.) All in all, it would be nice if the KDE
developers would remember that KDE is a platform and the real work is done
usinng applications on that platform. Nobody spends all their day
playingaround with plasma widgets... Ok, this gets waaaay OT...

cheers
-- vbi

--
Why on earth should we teach children
that they are not allowed to share the toys.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:03 AM
Valerio Passini

Alle giovedě 25 marzo 2010, Adrian von Bidder ha scritto:
> I always could arrange for network
> connections to be available for package installations.)
I agree completely. Me too I have always been able to connect to
networks at least using /etc/network/interfaces or, in the worst cases,
ifconfig/iwlist/iwconfig or wpasupplicant.

Valerio

Old 03-25-2010, 08:06 AM
Valerio Passini

Alle giovedě 25 marzo 2010, Matthew Tedder ha scritto:
> I've been stuck forced to use gnome for quite a long while now
> waiting for kde 4.x to become usable... It's become very clear that
> there are a lot of kde refugees like me out there... really a lot of
> them. I've been an avid kde user since version 1... FVWM, prior to
> that starting with Slackware96. It's been the biggest tragedy in
> computer history, for me..

You told that GNOME is working, so you can access your net with nm-
applet if you don't want to mess with CLI. Simply kill knetworkmanager
and start nm-applet under KDE.
Remember that one common problem is that nm can't often decide the
internal state of the wifi card even after a reboot cycle, if it has
been changed by other application or by Windows. You should check it.
Cheers

Valerio

Old 03-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Curt Howland