FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian KDE

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Valerio Passini
 
Default Questions about building KDE from SVN

Dear Developers,

I'm helping in testing the improvements Sebastian Trueg is making to
nepomuk to fix a couple of bugs. This time, just patching kdebase-
runtime seems to be not feasible: he asked me to build KDE from SVN but
I know that this is going to break my system.
What can I do at this point? Uninstalling KDE's deb packages and then
build and install KDE from sources is what comes to my mind.
Is there any other cleaner and easy way to do it?
In the case I need to rebuild KDE completely, where I can find
information about the dev packages I need to complete this task? Which
is the package that needs to be purged in order to completely remove KDE
from my system?
Thanks in advance

Valerio


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201003201032.54829.valerio.passini@unicam.it">http ://lists.debian.org/201003201032.54829.valerio.passini@unicam.it
 
Old 03-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Modestas Vainius
 
Default Questions about building KDE from SVN

Hello,

On šeštadienis 20 Kovas 2010 11:32:54 Valerio Passini wrote:
> Dear Developers,
>
> I'm helping in testing the improvements Sebastian Trueg is making to
> nepomuk to fix a couple of bugs. This time, just patching kdebase-
> runtime seems to be not feasible: he asked me to build KDE from SVN but
> I know that this is going to break my system.
> What can I do at this point? Uninstalling KDE's deb packages and then
> build and install KDE from sources is what comes to my mind
> Is there any other cleaner and easy way to do it?

It all depends which "svn" he wants you to build: branches/KDE/4.4/ or
trunk/KDE/. The former could probably be built with minor (if any) changes
(except version bump) to current packaging while the latter will probably need
more work. So for the former you can update orig tarball and build a couple of
new source packages (which you need) while for the latter better build from
sources.

You don't need to purge the whole distro KDE in order to build the whole
thing. Just install newer KDE to different prefix. Also consider using kdesvn-
build. However, it might be a bit tough to start&test that new KDE.

Btw, I have plans to update packages up to kdebase from branches/KDE/4.4 today
since they fix some nasty bugs I'm interested in. What is more, KDE SC 4.4.2
is going to be tagged in six days. qt-kde.debian.net users will probably get
it shortly after tagging since it is not an official archive.

> In the case I need to rebuild KDE completely, where I can find
> information about the dev packages I need to complete this task?

Build-Depends of KDE source packages for 4.4.x should be a very good hints.
E.g.

$ apt-cache showsrc kde4libs

> Which
> is the package that needs to be purged in order to completely remove KDE
> from my system?

libkdecore5 and kdelibs5. This will also remove all 3rd party KDE applications
though.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>
 
Old 03-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Alejandro Exojo
 
Default Questions about building KDE from SVN

El Sábado, 20 de Marzo de 2010, Valerio Passini escribió:
> Is there any other cleaner and easy way to do it?

When I want to install KDE from the sources (either stable or unstable), I
compile everything to be installed in a directory different from /usr (where
KDE packages install to in Debian and others), preferably in $HOME. This way
you save conflicts between the two installations.

Is not hard to do at all, but you require a little bit of trial and error,
especially when you lack the packages of the required libraries.

My recipe is this. Copy the following in a terminal (or you could save it in a
file called "environment.sh", and then source it doing ". environment.sh",
that is, a dot, a space, and the name of the file):

export LANG=C
build=kdetrunk
# Qt
#export QTDIR=$HOME/kde/qt-copy
export QTDIR=/usr/share/qt4
#export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=$HOME/local/$build/lib/kde4/plugins:$QT_PLUGIN_PATH
#export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$QTDIR/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
# KDE
export KDEDIR=$HOME/local/$build
export KDEDIRS=$KDEDIR:$KDEDIRS
export KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde-$build
export KDEVARTMP=/var/tmp/kde-$build-$USER
mkdir -p $KDEVARTMP
# System
export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$KDEDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
# DBus
export DBUSDIR=$KDEDIR
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$DBUSDIR/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH


This list of variables could be improved slightly. I can only say that it
seems to work for me.


Now, assuming that you have downloaded the KDE modules (kdelibs, kdebase,
etc.) in ~/kde, create a build directory in ~/kde/build. Now do:

cd ~/kde/build
mkdir kdelibs
cd kdelibs
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$KDEDIR ../../kdelibs
make install

If everything is in place, cmake will not complain at all, you will be able to
compile fine (assuming the build is not broken, which is pretty common in
trunk). Everything will be installed to ~/local/$build, so you can delete
this directory and you will be good. In that session you can start
applications. If you need the whole desktop, you should stop the running KDE,
and start a new one in the console. You will have to set the environment
again, of course.

> In the case I need to rebuild KDE completely, where I can find
> information about the dev packages I need to complete this task?

That's probably the hardest path. If you need to compile the whole KDE SC,
there are lots of dependencies. And the worst part is that probably, if you
want to build trunk, you sometimes require and unstable library that is not
released nor packaged, so you will have to build it yourself again doing the
same steps.

It helps looking at the packaged version of what you are building, and looking
at Build-Depends. Normally you will require the same, but with higher version
number.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2
http://barnacity.net/ | http://disperso.net


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201003201150.43741.suy@badopi.org">http://lists.debian.org/201003201150.43741.suy@badopi.org
 
Old 03-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Kevin Krammer
 
Default Questions about building KDE from SVN

On Saturday, 2010-03-20, Alejandro Exojo wrote:

> If everything is in place, cmake will not complain at all, you will be able
> to compile fine (assuming the build is not broken, which is pretty common
> in trunk). Everything will be installed to ~/local/$build, so you can
> delete this directory and you will be good. In that session you can start
> applications. If you need the whole desktop, you should stop the running
> KDE, and start a new one in the console. You will have to set the
> environment again, of course.

I recommend running the apps in a separate user account, especially is testing
requires modify infrastructure/services.

I have a trunk build in /dvl/kde/trunk/install and run KDE like this on a
second X session with a different user account:

startx /dvl/kde/trunk/install/bin/startkde -- :1 vt8

Cheers,
Kevin
 
Old 03-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Alejandro Exojo
 
Default Questions about building KDE from SVN

El Sábado, 20 de Marzo de 2010, Kevin Krammer escribió:
> I recommend running the apps in a separate user account, especially is
> testing requires modify infrastructure/services.

I've always disliked this approach, but I have to admit that it probably is
the most popular one among KDE developers, from what I see on the
documentation, the blogs, etc.

Valerio, if you want to do it this way, it's documented with detail on
TechBase.kde.org, and in the kdesvn-build manual, which is a tool that you
might consider using too.

I personally always avoided this approach, because it adds a complication that
I've always found unnecessary (maybe others have found a problem that I do
not). It adds an "ugly" user to the KDM login dialog, it requires you to use
su/sudo, maybe even run make twice, and you have to do workarounds to read or
write your files with the other user.

But you know, everyone has his preferred ways of doing things.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2
http://barnacity.net/ | http://disperso.net


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201003202221.09595.suy@badopi.org">http://lists.debian.org/201003202221.09595.suy@badopi.org
 
Old 03-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Valerio Passini
 
Default Questions about building KDE from SVN

Alle sabato 20 marzo 2010, Alejandro Exojo ha scritto:
> My recipe is this. Copy the following in a terminal (or you could
> save it in a file called "environment.sh", and then source it doing
> ". environment.sh", that is, a dot, a space, and the name of the
> file):
>
> export LANG=C
> build=kdetrunk
> # Qt
> #export QTDIR=$HOME/kde/qt-copy
> export QTDIR=/usr/share/qt4
> #export
> QT_PLUGIN_PATH=$HOME/local/$build/lib/kde4/plugins:$QT_PLUGIN_PATH
> #export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$QTDIR/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH # KDE
> export KDEDIR=$HOME/local/$build
> export KDEDIRS=$KDEDIR:$KDEDIRS
> export KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde-$build
> export KDEVARTMP=/var/tmp/kde-$build-$USER
> mkdir -p $KDEVARTMP
> # System
> export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$KDEDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> # DBus
> export DBUSDIR=$KDEDIR
> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$DBUSDIR/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH


This seems to be a very good recipe, thanks. Reading your script, I have
understood that you have a couple of variables that are not explicited
here ($HOME and $KDEDIR), does it default to something specific?
Probably is better to change it to a partition where I have a lot of
space since /home has just a 1GB left.

> That's probably the hardest path. If you need to compile the whole
> KDE SC, there are lots of dependencies. And the worst part is that
> probably, if you want to build trunk, you sometimes require and
> unstable library that is not released nor packaged, so you will have
> to build it yourself again doing the same steps.

That is scaring me, because it means a lot of compile time and a lot of
troubles to resolve the dependencies. I'm going to start with a simpler
approach. Many thanks to you for the script and to everybody who
answered for being so precise and patient.


Valerio



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201003210956.25543.valerio.passini@unicam.it">http ://lists.debian.org/201003210956.25543.valerio.passini@unicam.it
 
Old 03-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Valerio Passini
 
Default Questions about building KDE from SVN

Alle sabato 20 marzo 2010, Kevin Krammer ha scritto:
> I recommend running the apps in a separate user account, especially
> is testing requires modify infrastructure/services.
>
> I have a trunk build in /dvl/kde/trunk/install and run KDE like this
> on a second X session with a different user account:
>
> startx /dvl/kde/trunk/install/bin/startkde -- :1 vt8
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin
Good tips, thank you.
Ciao

Valerio


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201003210959.31403.valerio.passini@unicam.it">http ://lists.debian.org/201003210959.31403.valerio.passini@unicam.it
 
Old 03-21-2010, 08:10 AM
Valerio Passini
 
Default Questions about building KDE from SVN

Alle sabato 20 marzo 2010, hai scritto:
> It all depends which "svn" he wants you to build: branches/KDE/4.4/
> or trunk/KDE/.
He asked me to build trunk SVN. .

Sebastian Trueg wrote: "would you be willing to try svn trunk? And I
mean only the kdebase/runtime/nepomuk part of it..."

> Just install newer KDE to different prefix. Also
> consider using kdesvn- build. However, it might be a bit tough to
> start&test that new KDE.

I have read little about kdesvn-build. Do you think it's more suitable
to my needs than Alexandro Rojo's script?

> Btw, I have plans to update packages up to kdebase from
> branches/KDE/4.4 today since they fix some nasty bugs I'm
> interested in. What is more, KDE SC 4.4.2 is going to be tagged in
> six days. qt-kde.debian.net users will probably get it shortly after
> tagging since it is not an official archive.

So do you think it's worth for me to wait just a little, because the
fixes Sebastian is asking me to test will be present in the next
releases? That will be just wonderful.
Thank you so much. Ciao

Valerio


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201003211010.14734.valerio.passini@unicam.it">http ://lists.debian.org/201003211010.14734.valerio.passini@unicam.it
 
Old 03-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Alejandro Exojo
 
Default Questions about building KDE from SVN

El Domingo, 21 de Marzo de 2010, Valerio Passini escribió:
> This seems to be a very good recipe, thanks. Reading your script, I have
> understood that you have a couple of variables that are not explicited
> here ($HOME and $KDEDIR), does it default to something specific?
> Probably is better to change it to a partition where I have a lot of
> space since /home has just a 1GB left.

$HOME is /home/your-username. $KDEDIR is defined this way:

> > export KDEDIR=$HOME/local/$build


1 GB is very probably not enough for this build. You can change it to whatever
you want. /opt is a good choice. I prefer my home, because I'm pretty sure
that I don't need any su/sudo. This can save a little bit of time,
because "make install" first compiles and later installs, but "make"
and "sudo make install" does the same, but Makefiles have to be parsed twice.

> That is scaring me, because it means a lot of compile time and a lot of
> troubles to resolve the dependencies. I'm going to start with a simpler
> approach. Many thanks to you for the script and to everybody who
> answered for being so precise and patient.

Unfortunately, it seems so. If it were just an application, tends to be pretty
easy, because you can install the "-dev" ending packages of kdelibs,
kdepimlibs, etc., and you save a lot of compiling.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2
http://barnacity.net/ | http://disperso.net


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201003211122.50096.suy@badopi.org">http://lists.debian.org/201003211122.50096.suy@badopi.org
 
Old 03-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Modestas Vainius
 
Default Questions about building KDE from SVN

Hello,

On sekmadienis 21 Kovas 2010 11:10:14 Valerio Passini wrote:
> Alle sabato 20 marzo 2010, hai scritto:
> > It all depends which "svn" he wants you to build: branches/KDE/4.4/
> > or trunk/KDE/.
>
> He asked me to build trunk SVN. .
>
> Sebastian Trueg wrote: "would you be willing to try svn trunk? And I
> mean only the kdebase/runtime/nepomuk part of it..."

Well, in order to build that "part", you will need:

kdelibs >= 4.4.59
shared-desktop-ontologies >= 0.3.60
soprano >= 2.3.70

All these are development versions. One of the worst things about KDE is that
despite being PITA by itself, it typically needs the latest devel versions of
non-KDE packages.

> > Just install newer KDE to different prefix. Also
> > consider using kdesvn- build. However, it might be a bit tough to
> > start&test that new KDE.
>
> I have read little about kdesvn-build. Do you think it's more suitable
> to my needs than Alexandro Rojo's script?
>
> > Btw, I have plans to update packages up to kdebase from
> > branches/KDE/4.4 today since they fix some nasty bugs I'm
> > interested in. What is more, KDE SC 4.4.2 is going to be tagged in
> > six days. qt-kde.debian.net users will probably get it shortly after
> > tagging since it is not an official archive.
>
> So do you think it's worth for me to wait just a little, because the
> fixes Sebastian is asking me to test will be present in the next
> releases? That will be just wonderful.
> Thank you so much. Ciao

"Next releases" == 4.5.x ? It is a rather long wait and not a target for
squeeze. Well, at this point it all depends solely on your willingness to mess
with devel versions.

Personally, I don't much experience building from svn directly. I always build
packages.


--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:32 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org