FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian KDE

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Michael Schuerig
 
Default Amarok, KMix: how to set sound volume for external audio adapter?

After quite some time I've looked at Amarok again now that 2.3 has made
it into unstable. Somehow, I'm missing a way to set the sound volume. I
didn't find a volume slider in Amarok itself and KMix, too, doesn't show
any controls for my external Edirol UA-1EX sound adapter.

Phonon does recognize the external adapter, it happily plays sound
through it and it is displayed in the Multimedia System Settings. KMix
does show tabs for the internal "HDA Intel" adapter and for my external
webcam (Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000). However, the tab for the webcam
contains no controls, older version of KMix/KDE did have controls there.

I have already deleted ~/.kde/share/config/kmix*, but that didn't make a
difference.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de
http://www.schuerig.de/michael/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201003151816.23491.michael@schuerig.de">http://lists.debian.org/201003151816.23491.michael@schuerig.de
 
Old 03-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Kenny Fairweather
 
Default Amarok, KMix: how to set sound volume for external audio adapter?

On 15/03/10 17:16, Michael Schuerig wrote:

After quite some time I've looked at Amarok again now that 2.3 has made
it into unstable. Somehow, I'm missing a way to set the sound volume. I
didn't find a volume slider in Amarok itself and KMix, too, doesn't show
any controls for my external Edirol UA-1EX sound adapter.


Click on the speaker, top right, to get the slider. Or scroll wheel over
the icon.


Kenny


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4BA01310.6040104@googlemail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4BA01310.6040104@googlemail.com
 
Old 03-17-2010, 07:03 AM
Michael Schuerig
 
Default Amarok, KMix: how to set sound volume for external audio adapter?

On Wednesday 17 March 2010, Kenny Fairweather wrote:
> On 15/03/10 17:16, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> > After quite some time I've looked at Amarok again now that 2.3 has
> > made it into unstable. Somehow, I'm missing a way to set the sound
> > volume. I didn't find a volume slider in Amarok itself and KMix,
> > too, doesn't show any controls for my external Edirol UA-1EX sound
> > adapter.
>
> Click on the speaker, top right, to get the slider. Or scroll wheel
> over the icon.

Consistency may be for small minds, like mine, but is this a bit non-
obvious? I had noticed the Mute functionality alright. I don't get a
slider when I click on the speaker widget, rather, in order to set the
volume, I have to drag along the widget's border in a circle.
Thankfully, the scroll wheel does work too.

I'm not blaming you, of course. To the contrary, thanks for pointing out
how this thing works. Still, I can't help but notice that this widget
is, to my mind, exemplary of what has gone wrong in KDE 4 -- a
preference for coolness over solid functionality. As a programmer myself
I can easily understand how this comes about, especially in projects
that are done for fun, not money. As a user, however, I don't have to
like this.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de
http://www.schuerig.de/michael/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201003170903.02559.michael@schuerig.de">http://lists.debian.org/201003170903.02559.michael@schuerig.de
 
Old 03-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Carsten Pfeiffer
 
Default Amarok, KMix: how to set sound volume for external audio adapter?

Am Mittwoch, 17. März 2010 schrieb Michael Schuerig:

Hi,

> I'm not blaming you, of course. To the contrary, thanks for pointing out
> how this thing works. Still, I can't help but notice that this widget
> is, to my mind, exemplary of what has gone wrong in KDE 4 -- a
> preference for coolness over solid functionality. As a programmer myself
> I can easily understand how this comes about, especially in projects
> that are done for fun, not money. As a user, however, I don't have to
> like this.

I agree that the volume widget is not quite obvious to find because it doesn't
really look like a volume knob. Neither does the icon inside look like a
loadspeaker to me. It looks more like a rotated waffle with a scoop of ice
scream. Once recognized it's easy to use though. And combining it with a mute
button is not a bad idea.

And to be fair, in all the announcements, the new toolbar is highlighted as
experimental and user feedback is sought:

"These include a new main toolbar and a rewritten and much simpler file
browser. These parts are brand new and based on user feedback, and they will
change and improve over the next few releases. The old slim toolbar is still
available should you prefer that, but we encourage you to try out the new
toolbar and tell us what you think."

Cheers,
Carsten (who always uses global shortcuts (Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Up/Down) to control
the volume)
 
Old 03-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Michael Schuerig
 
Default Amarok, KMix: how to set sound volume for external audio adapter?

On Wednesday 17 March 2010, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:
> Cheers,
> Carsten (who always uses global shortcuts (Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Up/Down) to
> control the volume)

Me too, generally, but so far I didn't get it to work satisfactorily
with two sound adapters, a built-in one and an external one. As I wrote,
Phonon sees the external adapter and Amarok output is correctly routed
there. However, KMix doesn't show the external adapter and that's why I
asked about setting the volume to begin with.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de
http://www.schuerig.de/michael/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201003171603.49348.michael@schuerig.de">http://lists.debian.org/201003171603.49348.michael@schuerig.de
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:38 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org